Yes
10 (45.5%)
No
8 (36.4%)
Not sure/no opinion/don't care
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: July 23, 2006, 07:10:13 AM

In order to help distinguish voices, I think it would be nice if people were able to add a single adjective to what their voice sounds like.  This will come into play like this:

Quote from: "An Example for Listen"
In the north, you overhear a husky female voice say, in London-accented sirihish:
  "That's bollocks."

In the north, you overhear a gravely female voice say, in southern-accented sirihish:
  "Shut the fuck up."

People will need to input a voice type as opposed to a volume level or a tone, since a templar's voice isn't booming when they whisper nor is it sickeningly sweet when they're getting eaten by wezers.
Altering one's voice type will be impossible unless the character took a permanent injury to the throat or whatever, and this will need a staff member to set.

We could need a guideline or a way to tell apart different races as well - perhaps the common races will have the race name appear in their voice and other races (including half-elves) will be able to choose what race they sound like.

So:
Quote from: "Another Example"
You hear a smooth male elven voice from the north say, in Allundean:
  "Now now you know you don't wanna kill me Lord Templar I've got, uh, I've got tips on a defiler yeah he's a scary fuck you know so why don't you just let me go and give me a few hundred 'sids and I'll tell you all about that and also say how I manage to override the character limit for my speech."

These adjectives might be disabled for Shouts, I dunno.

Opinions?
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Some people do this already, and I think it gets repetitive.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Omg jesus in a pie.  Why am I up so early?

Just a question, Lala.  Uh.  Would these voice types be appended to the talk, whisper, say, and tell commands?  Because if so, then I am violently opposed.  Violently, like with blood.

If they are only added to tack onto the one-room-off listen, or a sound when it is dark out, then I suppose I must be in favor, at least, it couldn't hurt.

It would be nice if the voice types were converted into keywords as well, so you could target someone in the dark.

Darkness
It is dark out here, blah blah pitch black nobody has a torch so you're fucked.

The male with a voluptuous voice says to you, in sirihish,
  "Oh, sugah.  Darkness hides the wicked sin we are about to commit."

The male with a squeaky voice says, in sirihish,
  "I am here as background noise!"

The male with a deep voice says, in sirihish,
   "So am I!"

tell voluptuous Mudsex over there!
You say to the male with a voluptuous voice, in sirihish
   "Mudsex!  Over there!"
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "Larrath"In order to help distinguish voices, I think it would be nice if people were able to add a single adjective to what their voice sounds like.  This will come into play like this:

Quote from: "An Example for Listen"
In the north, you overhear a husky female voice say, in London-accented sirihish:
  "That's bollocks."

In the north, you overhear a gravely female voice say, in southern-accented sirihish:
  "Shut the fuck up."

People will need to input a voice type as opposed to a volume level or a tone, since a templar's voice isn't booming when they whisper nor is it sickeningly sweet when they're getting eaten by wezers.
Altering one's voice type will be impossible unless the character took a permanent injury to the throat or whatever, and this will need a staff member to set.

We could need a guideline or a way to tell apart different races as well - perhaps the common races will have the race name appear in their voice and other races (including half-elves) will be able to choose what race they sound like.

So:
Quote from: "Another Example"
You hear a smooth male elven voice from the north say, in Allundean:
  "Now now you know you don't wanna kill me Lord Templar I've got, uh, I've got tips on a defiler yeah he's a scary fuck you know so why don't you just let me go and give me a few hundred 'sids and I'll tell you all about that and also say how I manage to override the character limit for my speech."

These adjectives might be disabled for Shouts, I dunno.

Opinions?

Only vote *high five*

This has been brought up a lot.  I really don't care either way, it's cool and all, but I think it's an addition that should be in the backlines if anything right after optional ANSI.  It adds extra flavor to your character, but only so much debt can be taken from it.  And it does get a bit redundant, and after a while -wheee- you don't even pay attention to them any more.  Like Cale was pointing out, people already do it IG.  I once knew a guy who spoke quietly -- all the time, every time, never bothered to chance it, just did.  He even spoke quietly when cannons were going off, and bomb shells were bursting everywhere.  If it's implemented -- people should try to be dynamic with it.  Maybe ---

voice (low/normal/high) (string)

so example voice (low) (raspy tone)

Jack says, in a quiet raspy tone, "My face is on fire -- best put it out quick."

and if you were in battle -- you'd type.

voice high

Jack says, in a loud raspy tone, "It's eating my leg. Get it off!!!!"

and medium would be used for normal speak the string if left unchanged, as in the example before, would just default to the last.  

Thoughts?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I support it, but mainly only for voices in either the dark, or more importantly, one room off. In particular, the one-room off function would be the most important.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

This would only show in one rooms off or in darkness or other cases where the speaker can't be seen.  Due to that, I hope redundancy would be avoided.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Excellent.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah it's a neat code change. But not anything that needs to be done anytime soon.

This can already be done with the emote system.

' (in a deep voice) foo'

In a deep voice, the sesquipedalian horta-skinned man says, in sirihish:
   "foo"

Quote from: "davien"This can already be done with the emote system.

' (in a deep voice) foo'

In a deep voice, the sesquipedalian horta-skinned man says, in sirihish:
   "foo"
Can't be overheard in another room though, can it?

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Some people do this already, and I think it gets repetitive.

No more repetitive than people not using it at all and definitely more colorful.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Give some people the ability to try and 'fake' a voice.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I support this idea... however, your voice changes in different situations does it not? especially for us men.

It does, which is why this idea should not be implemented  in normal situations. Only for shouts, distance listening, and darkness, when no other identifiers are present.

It would be nice if the voice types were converted into keywords as well, so you could target someone in the dark.

Yea, that would be awesome, too.

Quote from: "jhunter"
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Some people do this already, and I think it gets repetitive.

No more repetitive than people not using it at all and definitely more colorful.

I remember a character some time back who used a very similar emote almost once a minute. He was the most colorful, exciting and interesting character I've ever seen to this date.