Psst. Whispering to more than one person...

Started by slipshod, April 22, 2006, 02:19:31 AM

...at the same time, that is.  I would like to be able to.  Does anyone agree, and if so, what do you think the limit on a "huddle" size should be?
I'm thinking that it would be sufficient and realistic to be able to whisper to two people at once.  If three people were standing together, I think the one in the middle at least could whisper so the other two could hear, if he wanted to.  While we're at it, why not be able to target more than one person for other types of communication?  People constantly address more than one person when giving orders, and just use emotes.  Why not:

tell/ask/whisper amos-malik (glaring between the two) You idiots.  What did you do this time?
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

If this were to be coded, then it should only be slightly harder then overhearing someone talk at a table.

A whisper is more than talking quietly. It's so quiet that even someone with excellent hearing who's standing right next to you probably won't pick it up. We're talking about lips right up against the other person's ear.

I don't see how you could realistically speak to two people in that way.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Hmm, well, that's one interpretation of a whisper.  a super secret kind.  When I whisper in real life, it's usually not that quiet.
Even so, if we can focus our eyes on people in game with 'watch', why not make it take an effort on the part of the addressees to pick up the whisper?
Listen <speaker>
and stay close to hear.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: "slipshod"Hmm, well, that's one interpretation of a whisper.  a super secret kind.  When I whisper in real life, it's usually not that quiet.

And when you're not whispering very quietly, other people will be able to hear you.

Just do:

say (lowering his voice, speaking to ~bob and ~amos) Booga booga.

That would be a not-so-quiet, non-super-secret group whisper.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Just do:

say (lowering his voice, speaking to ~bob and ~amos) Booga booga.

That would be a not-so-quiet, non-super-secret group whisper.

One that would be heard 3 leagues away in the desert. I'm all for it being overheard in the same room ofcourse, listen activated or not. But not other rooms.

I would like to see something along these lines, but I agree it shouldn't be as hard to overhear as whisper.  It shouldn't be as easy to overhear as say.

Basically, it would be nice to have something that functions like talk that can be used while standing, riding, or in rooms without tables.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Make it so that "talk" can be used to speak with anyone following you, that you are following, or that is following the person you're following. Basically, anyone in your group.