Masking the Full Description

Started by Falconer, April 20, 2006, 01:28:13 PM

This is an idea that may have been brought up before, but a quick search of the forums didn't reveal anything.  I'd suggest that any piece of equipment that currently masks the short description (hoods, veils, facewraps, et al) also mask the full description of the character.  As it stands, I would venture the guess that roughly fifty percent of a character's full description is dedicated to describing their facial features, and as such, it doesn't make much sense as to why the short is hidden but the full is presented.  Granted, I understand how other details can be gleaned from the full description - stature and frame - that would be available, but I think the assess command could be a more accurate reflection of what another PC might be able to glean from the appearance of a masked or hooded character.

My two 'sids.

Well I think that putting on a mask should just tag you invisible.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

If you do a search, you'll find multiple threads where this has been discussed. The pros, the cons, suggestions as to how to do it better.

There were masks in the game that did just that at one point, but their popularity, and abuse became pretty wide spread.

It's such a shame, too. I bet raiders and muggers would feel a lot less of a need to just kill everyone if masks hid the main desc.

But I understand the reason why they don't. It just makes me cry inside, that's all.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Yeah, there's alot of threads on this subject. I'm one of the supporters of masks and such hiding the main desc. I'm too lazy to look them up for you at the moment though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D