Amos overtaken as most common name

Started by Raesanos, April 19, 2006, 10:39:18 PM

Amos is also a fairly major character in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar saga, and is also seen in some of his other books set after the Riftwar.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that already.....

According to babynames.com, Malik is Arabic in origin and means king.

Quote from: "Tamarin"Could you please post a list of say...the top 25 most used names, if such a list is even feasible?

I would love to see that too.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Joram is a no-no, too, even worse than amos and malik... I noticed that if you try to contact joram, you'll have to go through all those human soldiers first...
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

My first character was Jorm. I had a friend who use to call me Jom (long story), so when I made my first char I figured I'd use that, but I didn't want to use something so close to my name (cause y'know, John and Jom are sooo similar) I added an r for Jorm.

Later I was trying to think of a name, and figured I'd just use my first char's name and change it slightly. So I added an a, and got Joram. Only later did I realise Joram is actually a real name :P

I should probably do "Jorame" or "Joraim" one of these days :P

[EDIT]: Just checked and I already created a char called "Goraim", how's that for a co-incidence?

[EDIT2]: HA! reading through my name list I just saw my current character's name was used a few years ago with a 1 letter difference :P Woops.

Nah, that was Malak in the star wars game, I think. Oh yeah, and sorry for naming my last eight kamikaze tembo hunters Malik.

contackey joram

You can contact 800 militia soldiers.
(Here is the list)
1.joram A tall, burly, short soldier.
2.joram A tall, burly, short soldier.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Next time you choose a name, google it beforehand. Or go for something with meaning in an ancient civilization. I love teutonic names or celtic.

Here's a good page..

http://www.20000-names.com

It categorizes names into different cultures/backgrounds. Arabic might be good for some tribals or whatever. I tend to stick to Teutonic, German, Celtic, and depending on the character, pretty much any of the categories can work.

Ha I use that same sight to come up with tribal names!
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I'ma make a Hercules next, who is a weaver.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I always just bashed my keyboard and then editted things into better names.

maoufhao becomes Maouf

Me also. I take a cool sounding name and narrow it down. Like Mandingo
Becomes Anin.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I always thought that naming your character Amos was dumb.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I always thought that naming your character Amos was dumb.
Same way that naming your kid "John" is dumb IRL?

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I always thought that naming your character Amos was dumb.
You're cool, John.
Back from a long retirement

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060421/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq
QuoteBAGHDAD, Iraq - Shiite politicians agreed Friday to nominate Jawad al-Maliki as prime minister, replacing the incumbent in a bid to clear the way for a long-delayed new government.

They aren't very creative.

Quote from: "John"
Yeah.  You want your kid to be cool and smart, you name him Jonathon.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'd like a greener option, these two candidates just don't appeal to me. How about Lo Ptar?

If memory serves, Malik means something like "ruler" or "lord" in Arabic. Can anyone confirm?
It's easy to forget that this all starts from playing in your garage and loving it."- Josh Homme

I actually like using common names, like Amos. It makes me feel like I fit into the world better. I never met a Malik before... funny that they're number one.
I'm also pushing for Lo. I've seen that one sprout up about three times or so... it has a nice ring to it. Seems very commonerish.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

BEHOLD!  The wonders of a 2 second Google search!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "amoeba"Eh...Doesn't have the same absurd ring to it.

That's probably because there weren't any Marvelous Malik cookies.   :P   Famous Amos was on Taxi once, long long ago, which is how I heard about him even though his cookies weren't sold where I live.  If it weren't for Famous Amos, Amos probably wouldn't sound silly either.

I wonder if anyone has ever made a baker named Amos?

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

i think his cookies are the best non-homemade cookies in the (our) known world.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I actually like using common names, like Amos. It makes me feel like I fit into the world better. I never met a Malik before... funny that they're number one.
I'm the same, although I have yet to use Amos or Malik, I've been wanting to for a while now (next human of ordinary needs is going to be an Amos). I did meet a Malik once though. I tried to contact him and did "contact Malik" and amazingly enough, I got the right PC. Guess a lot of the Malik's have died off at the moment.

Oh, man.  <scratches that one down>

Baker... named... Amos... famous for cookies...

I can just see it now.

Lord Amosthaleus Fale...or Lord Amos for short.

My how the Borsails would get to chuckle.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Does Zalanthas even have cookies?

I know, I know, find out IC.   :P

Clearly we can not let noble Amos be cast aside by Malik the upstart.  The only thing to do is for everyone to suicide their characters right now, and create new characters named Amos.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins