Hide <item> <location>

Started by slipshod, April 15, 2006, 08:42:08 PM

What do you think about being able to do this... for example
"hide pouch sofa"  and you could tuck it into the cushions

or to hide a knife under your pillow with a bed object

and its correlate would be something like "search <location>"

I don't imagine either would be checked against skills.  Search couch would let you dig around in the cushions.  

If you had a shelf full of junky trinkets, you could "hide" your spare key in with them someplace.  

Maybe even some clothing items could have 'hidden' locations.. like a secret cloak pocket you could stash your spice in, so even if your cloak is is taken from you and "looked in", they wouldn't find the spice unless they "searched cloak".
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Can't you already bury things in the desert?

All those items you could hide things in would have to be coded in.  It'd be a ton of work.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Not necessarily... you could simply mark it as invisible to a room, and have it only be revealed via search.

The "hiding it in a couch" part could be purely emote.

What happens when people hide things in places that don't exist, through the emote?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

you mean just hide the item in the room, and then use the search command to uncover it from the room, RPing out where you hide it and find it?

What happens if you go through the RP of hiding something under a couch.. then sit in the couch... and someone walks in and, standing near the door, searches the room and finds it?

-Aaron Burr

I saw a lot of players obeying dropdescs. I once retrieved back a weapon of mine, which was 'buried under half-inch of sand beside a large jasper rock.' after days. It was a crowded foraging area and I do believe at least a few people saw the dropped item.
Trust players...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "slipshod"you mean just hide the item in the room, and then use the search command to uncover it from the room, RPing out where you hide it and find it?

What happens if you go through the RP of hiding something under a couch.. then sit in the couch... and someone walks in and, standing near the door, searches the room and finds it?

If someone searches a room, then you can imagine they are rummaging around inside couch cushions and everything else.  What would you do if you sat on a couch and someone walks in and tosses the room, including the cushion you're sitting on?

Quote from: "Armaddict"What happens when people hide things in places that don't exist, through the emote?

You can hide things under a floorboard.. you can hide things behind other things.  You can hide things behind furniture, or above doors.  Unless it's a barren room, I would imagine that you could find a way to hide it.  However, I doubt seriously that the act of hiding something conscientiously could be successfully done without attracting attention unless it were combined with sleight of hand.

Regardless, you could make this a room flag if you chose, and that would be easier to impose than a flag on furniture objects probably.

You'd also have to flag every item that is hideable, -or- every item that is -not- hideable.

Otherwise you're gonna have people hiding couches behind waterskins, rather than hiding waterskins behind couches, just because they can. You already have people who steal couches in broad daylight - do you want them hiding them too?

You'd also have to set a flag to determine "how" hideable every hideable object is, and flag every room to determine "how" easy it -should- be to hide anything in it.

Interesting idea, but it sounds like a nightmare of considerations to me.

This would solve the burglar issues. Because it would mean you had to have excellent pick and search to get at the really good stuff.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Bestatte"Interesting idea, but it sounds like a nightmare of considerations to me.
Not really. Have the code auto-check size of the two items, possibly weight, whether the item is a container, and if there's any hidden items already. Then add a property "hideable" with how well things can be hidden with it. 0 would be default meaning "nothing can be hidden"

When people successfully "get" the item and move it, all items become unhidden and fall to the ground.

The nightmare would be going through everything and saying how hideable things are.

You can also just slip the item on the couch and believe the person who notices it was successful finding it. :)

Cool idea.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

This is a really cool idea. I agree that it would be hell to get implimented properly, but so would a lot of the good ideas out there. I give it a thumbs up for pure rockatude.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Instead of these half-assed ideas and implementations ... really, just implementation, since the idea itself is cool, why not just write up a hiding script that is applicable to all objects and start putting it on things you could hide stuff around?

Remember, since we gave up Java and got SQL and the Perl(?) scripting capabilities, we can write scripts for things that border on code itself.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Remember, since we gave up Java and got SQL and the Perl(?) scripting capabilities, we can write scripts for things that border on code itself.

FWIW, we got rid of a home-brewed scripting language and went to JavaScript, SQL has nothing to do with our scripting ability.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Remember, since we gave up Java and got SQL and the Perl(?) scripting capabilities, we can write scripts for things that border on code itself.

FWIW, we got rid of a home-brewed scripting language and went to JavaScript, SQL has nothing to do with our scripting ability.

Oh. Well, yeh, that. I knew it was something.

:)
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

hide dagger in a cushion of the couch
You hide the fanged dagger in a cushion of the couch.

search room

You find a fanged dagger in a cushion of the couch.

Nothing matters but the long desc.  Expect players to hide things in realistic locations, but if they don't you still find it.

hide dagger in the maw of the purple-headed people eater.

You hide the dagger in the maw of the purple-headed people eater.

search room

You find a dagger in the maw of the purple-headed people eater.

This would be possible, can be handled.
Attach the hider's pc_id (or whatever passes for it) to the object when it is hidden and when it is found in an inappropriate place, bug it (or something) and bugging the item would send the hider's id with it.

bug dagger Stupid hiding location
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I still think it would be nicer to be able to get more specific with where something is hidden.  It would allow you to use the command to set up handoffs, secret payments, treasure hunts, etc.
Being able to hide things in a room would be better than nothing, but some rooms are pretty big, and it would be nice to have the ability to discriminate between multiple hiding places.

It could also incorporate Tlaloc's project for "holes".  It's a great concept, but it would only apply in the desert, when conceivably there would be even more places to hide things in a cluttered city.

We would just have certain objects that things could be concealed in/on, like couches, beds, shelves, cabinets, maybe some sneaky clothes with hidden pockets, and then for the outdoors, you could have objects like
"A sandstone rock outcropping"
When you did a "look in outcropping", it would show nothing , unless you got down (dismount also) and "search outcropping" to retrieve the bag of contraband that your friend tucked up underneath.

Objects like this, a cabinet or a bed could have the regular old locations for things in plain sight, but then also for things hidden.
"look in cabinet"
"in a cabinet: several empty wooden cups"
"search cabinet"
"You uncover and get a bone key from a cabinet"

It could mean the difference between a quick look around and a thorough inspection.
Maybe keenly observant people (like with scan on) would notice things the first time around.
"look on bed"
"on a bed: some fluffy pillows"
"concealed on a bed: a Basic Insinct<tm> ice pick"

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: "slipshod"What do you think about being able to do this... for example
"hide pouch sofa"  and you could tuck it into the cushions

or to hide a knife under your pillow with a bed object

and its correlate would be something like "search <location>"

I don't imagine either would be checked against skills.  Search couch would let you dig around in the cushions.  

If you had a shelf full of junky trinkets, you could "hide" your spare key in with them someplace.  

Maybe even some clothing items could have 'hidden' locations.. like a secret cloak pocket you could stash your spice in, so even if your cloak is is taken from you and "looked in", they wouldn't find the spice unless they "searched cloak".

Rofl
forage couch
You intently search the area.
You discover a crusty leather thong!
Junk thong

VERY worthwhile in my opinion.  Can I get a Krath Damn?[/code]
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.