Assess

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, April 08, 2006, 02:23:30 PM

Sorry if this topic has been posted somewhere else (I don't read the GDB nearly as voraciously as I used to), but I find one of the new changes to the "assess" command absolutely mind-boggling.
People in the room have a chance to notice you assessing them and others.
If they're actively watching you, chances go up that they'll see you do this.

Why was this added? I've heard many people say throughout the years that they wish "look" didn't echo... why did we make assess echo? It just seems silly, I don't know. Some one want to explain it to me?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I actually was thinking the same thing myself when it was first announced.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Yeah, I have to say that this particular bit of change seemed to go 100% against the general mood of the playerbase.

I like everything else about the watch command, though.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I used to use ass -v to make sure I was targetting the right person.

Now you can use "keyword" for that.

The dusty, dark man walks into the room. (his name is cliff)
>keyword cliff
In the room:
 1.cliff - the dusty, dark man

So there you go.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Hhhmmm? Keyword, how did I miss that bit of news...sweet.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I am not in favor of the assess echo.  

HOWEVER, I will continue to use the command with my usual blinding frequency, so suck it up, bitches.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "Tamarin"I used to use ass -v to make sure I was targetting the right person.

Now you can use "keyword" for that.

The dusty, dark man walks into the room. (his name is cliff)
>keyword cliff
In the room:
 1.cliff - the dusty, dark man

So there you go.

For some reason, that command isn't working for me.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

It'll be in next crash/reboot.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "LauraMars"I will continue to use the command with my usual blinding frequency

Agreed.  I'm the same way.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: "Morrolan"
Quote from: "LauraMars"I will continue to use the command with my usual blinding frequency

Agreed.  I'm the same way.

There's nothing threatening or intimidating about using assess, so I highly doubt it will cause any sort of problem in relationships and interactions. I want the look echo kept, and the glance echo added to assess is just fine, with me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As was stated before in two other discussions, the assess echo was added because it garners in-character information that you can't get by just looking at the room.  No amount of pleading, begs or bribes will remove this echo.

As we discussed in the other thread, one of the predominant seeming reasons people were using assess with such frequency was to make sure that they had the right keywords.  Hence we have added the keyword command, and in my opinion it's a much more powerful tool than having to assess 1.blond, assess 2.blond, etc.. until you find the right one.  The keyword command was announced on the Weekly Update for this week, and the helpfile is in, we're waiting for the next crash for it to go live.

As there is nothing more to discuss on this, I'm locking the thread.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff