Using 'you' and 'your' in emotes

Started by Invisible Kank, April 08, 2006, 01:09:26 AM

Just a reminder, just because you think you're alone with another person in a room doesn't mean you are.  So instead of using 'you' and 'your' in emotes, you should still use ~keyword, !keyword, %keyword, and ^keyword.

See !you tomorrow in ^you apartment,
Invisible Kank

Creepy.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I agree that it is better to use ! # and so on.  On the other hand . . . suck it up.  

It is better to type !orange, #emaciated, and ^whelp, but it is easier to type you, you, and your.  People are going to keep doing easy things.  Most people catch on to ~ pretty quickly, but the others can take a while to feel natural.  

Most of the time you can figure out what is going on.

If it really bothers you, you could try:
>OOC Hey, you two aren't alone in here you know.  Pls use # ^ and !   kthxbye.
:twisted:
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

While I'm big on the whole ~! and %^ thing, it can be difficult to remember and get used to.  Especially when typing rapid emotes, thinks and says while adding emotes to your commands as well.  :-D

Yes, it's good practice.

I think that using these correctly (and in a way that reads properly from three perspectives) is probably the hardest skill to master on the mud.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

It's not a huge faux pas and we shouldn't slap a newbie over it, but veteran players definitely should be using keywords at all times.  In the case of an invisible watcher, typing 'you' could lead to some serious IC consequences, such as said watcher reacting as though spotted.

Veterans should know better than to use keywords, once they've learned the other character's name. I remember when there were three females in Nak, whose sdescs were very similar. Two of them shared 1 keyword. One of those, and the third shared a second keyword. The -other- of the first two, and the third, shared a 3rd keyword.  It was easy to screw up if you were new, or just hadn't learned our names yet. But it was annoying to the point of distraction when veterans, who knew ALL our names, refused to use them and instead constantly targetted the wrong one.

Summary: Use keywords ONLY if you don't know the person's name. Use names if you know them.

Repeat: Use names if you know them.

Repeat: Use names if you know them.

Moe's got a good point. Of course, people will do what they do, but we should all try to be consist. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Names are keywords, or at least that's how I meant it in my post.

I just wanted to ask a quick question about object emotes. I just want to ensure that I am using it correctly and not making myself look like a fool every time I do it.

emote tightly wraps ~sandcloth around his right wrist, and secures it.

Does that appear as:

The sexy, bedroom-eyed man tightly wraps his sandcloth wristwrap around his right wrist, and secures it.

Or does it appear as something else?

- Matt.

Nah,,  you're cool Matt
 n
[Near]
The lauramarsian, female human is standing here, patiently.

You think:
 "She almost makes it too easy..."

This post was most likely written by a belligerent drunk, please chase with salt.

Quote from: "mattrious"I just wanted to ask a quick question about object emotes. I just want to ensure that I am using it correctly and not making myself look like a fool every time I do it.

emote tightly wraps ~sandcloth around his right wrist, and secures it.

Does that appear as:

The sexy, bedroom-eyed man tightly wraps his sandcloth wristwrap around his right wrist, and secures it.

Or does it appear as something else?

- Matt.

I don't know if the dash is an object targetter, but if that works as well as a tilde (~), then yes, that's what your emote will appear as.

Unless you're wearing something else that is sandcloth which comes first for whatever reason, in which case it might appear as:

The sexy, bedroom-eyed man tightly wraps his leather-reinforced, sandcloth shoe around his right wrist, and secures it.

or even worse:

The sexy, bedroom-eyed man tightly wraps the sandcloth-haired, dusty woman around his right wrist, and secures it.

Which is why I always try to be as specific with my keywords as possible.  If it's a wristwrap, I'll use wristwrap, not sandcloth.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I can be accused of using you and your sometimes in emotes, but when I'm specifically in a private room with just one other PC, otherwise I use ~, in order to not cause confusion.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Quote from: "LauraMars"I don't know if the dash is an object targetter, but if that works as well as a tilde (~), then yes, that's what your emote will appear as.

Laura my dear...highlite the dash in matt's example and drag it over into text edit.  You'll see that it's actually a tilde, but just the font is kinda small.

Silly goose!
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"Silly goose!

What did five fingers say to the face?

Quote from: "LauraMars"What did five fingers say to the face?

"Wtf...this isn't the big cock I was aiming for...I've got to go -lower-."

Quote from: "Tamarin""Wtf...this isn't the big cock I was aiming for...I've got to go -lower-."

You realize this is war.

"SMACK!"

*waves the white flag*

You win.

I want to add &<keyword/name> to do the following:

To the originator and others:
hers
his

To the target:
yours

Example:
em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against &lass.

To others:
The rugged, hawt man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against hers.

To target:
The rugged, hawt man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against yours.

Right now you have to:
em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against ^lass forehead.

or

em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against ^lass own.

Quote from: "rishenko"
Right now you have to:
em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against ^lass forehead.

or

em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against ^lass own.

Or you could use %.  

>em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against %lass forehead.

You see and others see:
The manly man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against the perky lasses forehead.

Target sees:  The manly man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against yours.

It works fine.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

As an immortal, logging in and seeing a player in your clan grab you and kiss you.... or worse.... isn't fun.

Please use the proper ~ ! % ^ # functions in your emotes.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: "Olgaris"As an immortal, logging in and seeing a player in your clan grab you and kiss you.... or worse.... isn't fun.

I think you and I need to swap places.

Quote from: "LauraMars"

You realize this is war.

"SMACK!"

*Goes to war with LauraMars* Hurt me...oh please, hurt me!
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Quoteem smiles slowly, placing his forehead against %lass forehead.

Maybe I'm too picky, but I hate repeating words like that. It feels like bad writing. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Or you could use %.  

>em smiles slowly, placing his forehead against %lass forehead.

You see and others see:
The manly man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against the perky lasses forehead.

Target sees:  The manly man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against yours.

Just to clarify, the target would see: The manly man smiles slowly, placing his forehead against your forehead.

I'm with bloodfromstone on this one though.. I guess I'm picky too. Using the same word twice in a pretty short sentence like that kinda drives me nuts. A solution like rishenko's would be awesome.. but it's still workable.

On topic: I pretty much always use keywords, not because I'm paranoid about making everything correct, but out of habit.

Quote from: "moab"While I'm big on the whole ~! and %^ thing, it can be difficult to remember and get used to.
If your having trouble remembering which symbol is for which, I recommend putting a cheatsheet someone you can easily see, and doing it everytime you want to target someone, including yourself. When I was learning I constantly did "em stands out of ^me chair." and very quickly learnt the correct symbols. It eventually became second nature, so it was actually quicker to use the symbols then to not use them.