Started by DesertT, April 04, 2006, 02:23:34 PM

Reasonable or not?

Yes.
13 (36.1%)
No.
23 (63.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: April 04, 2006, 02:25:36 PM

This could be an idea to help with the storm code that FightClub was mentioning.  I've found too, that I left the Salt Flats where the weather was clear and went to the Dusty Plains where there was a fierce sandstorm.  I know that there are different levels of sandstorms and how in the lower, you can still see in your room, and to the rooms one away, but you just can't walk it.

My suggestion here, is when there's a sandstorm that you can see one room away, you should be able to CRAWL into the next room with a huge penalty to your moves.

Also, when you're in a clear room, then you walk into an ultra-sandstorm, with this command, I think you should be able to CRAWL back into the clear room.  I'm not asking to be able to navigate THROUGH the sandstorm, just be able to turn around to the room I was just in.

Let's face it, I doubt there's many, if any, people who WEATHER the next room while they're out exploring areas, or just walked out of their city into a sandstorm.  It's happened to a few of us, I'm sure, and if you're lucky, that mekillot that you tried to run completely away from but instead, ending up at his feet...well, you get the idea.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I'm against this.
First of all, sandstorms are essentially clouds that move, sometimes very quickly.  Crawling inside a sandstorm is also very dangerous as it involves a huge loss of water and a serious risk of being buried in that greatcloak you're wearing.  And taking the greatcloak off should, realistically, make the sandstorm peel off your flesh.  Ever see a building get sandblasted?

Second, the fact that you're crawling shouldn't really make a difference in whether you get turned around or not.  A serious sandstorm is impossible to see in, and it has a lot of wind blowing everywhere.  I believe that Road rooms and other places where it makes sense are already coded to be pretty easy to get to if you're one room away in a sandstorm, and that's the extent of it.

I -would- like to see a crawl command that would act as a slower version of Walk and cost considerably more movement points (three times, perhaps), and give a large bonus to being undetected while in a room or passing between them.  This would help both our desert ninjas and people whose feet got broken.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I hate to sound like a prick, but, "USE THE WEATHER COMMAND".

Dudes, just get used to using 'weather' as much as you use 'look'.  

The desert is just as dangerous as the beasties, and that is exactly how it should be.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of how crawling makes it easier to navigate when you can't see anything.

It might be nice for a crawl-speed (where you can move while sitting/resting) for roleplaying injuries and/or sneakiness, though.

I don't like this too much either (even if a crawl command would be nifty for other reasons, I've emoted it out on a number of occasions when my character got hurt). If you move into a sandstorm and it's just one room, your chance to get out again isn't that bad anyways.

Hmm, maybe this idea isn't too bad at all - because icly, you woulnd't just walk into a sandstorm straight away, you'd probably notice and stop.

Then again, even with my warrior char I've never had great problems with sandstorms..
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "DesertT"

Let's face it, I doubt there's many, if any, people who WEATHER the next room while they're out exploring areas, or just walked out of their city into a sandstorm.  It's happened to a few of us, I'm sure, and if you're lucky, that mekillot that you tried to run completely away from but instead, ending up at his feet...well, you get the idea.

Well, I think that this is part of the problem, the whole reason that this weather command was put in, was so that you could LOOK and see that massive sandstorm to the south of where you were walking. People -should- be using the weather command when they are walking around out in the desert. Perhaps not every room, but when you are approaching change areas. Plus, there are certain parts of the desert that are known for harsh sandstorms, and I think that people would be very cautious when approaching these areas, and use the weather command more. (like around Red Storm, the Red Desert, etc)

I'm not so sure that once you were overtaken by that sandstorm, that crawling would even bring out out of it.  But, I'd love to see some drunk person crawling down the road, to keep from falling down a bunch of times from intoxication. So, from that stand point, I'd like to see a crawl command.

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"It might be nice for a crawl-speed (where you can move while sitting/resting) for roleplaying injuries and/or sneakiness, though.

Not resting, but sitting. Yeh, I could really dig that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Irulan"But, I'd love to see some drunk person crawling down the road, to keep from falling down a bunch of times from intoxication. So, from that stand point, I'd like to see a crawl command.

I agree.

Quote from: "Nao"I don't like this too much either (even if a crawl command would be nifty for other reasons, I've emoted it out on a number of occasions when my character got hurt). If you move into a sandstorm and it's just one room, your chance to get out again isn't that bad anyways.

Hmm, maybe this idea isn't too bad at all - because icly, you woulnd't just walk into a sandstorm straight away, you'd probably notice and stop.

This is my point exactly.  Not everyone knows where these magical lines of areas exist.  Like stepping off of a road and BOOM, you're in a new area, and though from the road, you could see three rooms south, now that you've went one south, you can't see jack.  It would be nice if you could SEE the storm from two rooms away, instead of having to use weather every room, wondering if this is a new area yet.  Since this isn't the case though, I think this sort of CRAWL would be a good compromise.  

Again, this is only from a room with a sandstorm, to a room without.  AGAIN, this is not from room to room with sandstorms in each.  I just find it unrealistic that my character would walk straight into a sandstorm and not be able to turn around.  I also find it a bit odd that there can be a raging sandstorm one room away, but totally peaceful where you're at.  There should be some sort of middle area, and since it would be quite difficult to code that, I think this CRAWL idea would work well to assist with something like that.

So throw out the idea of it being a CRAWL, you can call it whatever you want, maybe TURNAROUND, that automattically sends you back to the room from whence you came.  This would only be good from a sandstorm, BACK to the peaceful weather you were in just a room away.  Perhaps only allow it to work on the last directional command, and not like backtrack, where you can go all the way back to your original point of origin without having to type all the directional commands.

Whatever you want to call it, doesn't really matter, so long as there is a command that can cost a lot of moves, but allows you to take a step back from the blazing sandstorm you just walked into.

A crawl command would be killer for regular roleplay such as injuries, drunkeness, and ass-kissing.  I think it's reasonable to assume someone might crawl in a sandstorm (Having been lost in a blizzard before, the first thing I did was drop to the ground and crawl - kept falling over, otherwise) but I don't see why it would give any navigation abilities.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Another option would be for the mud to ask "Are you sure you want to enter the sandstorm?" If you do, you can just keep on going. If you don't, you were warned. Sometimes, when you are trying to chase after a bastard and kill them, you don't have time to "weather e" every damn time. Especially not, since the lag between running and walking is so very small. You can outrun people that are running just by spamming.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I would prefer that if you were moving from room to room, that both rooms are checked for weather.  If one is clear, either room entering or leaving, that you be allowed to go.

I want crawling as a slower than walking speed, two or three times the move cost, can't fall down movement speed.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

What if looking you could actually see a huge sandstorm covering the horizon that has a Silt horror in that direction also?  I'm for including weather information with look {direction}.
he two-page description man has arrived from the west.

I despise the idea of a weather inclusive look. Just because.

Although for crawl, I think this should be implemented. Let's say you can do it from sit position, thus lowering your thirst and stamina drain. Although, it leaves Huge defensive decreases while it's excessive delay takes hold. This way, you can crawl aways in the desert while being dehydrated, but as far as crawling away from that gith, forget about it. Also, I see no reason why crawling would help you out in a sandstorm. If I got caught in a ninety-mile ph sandstorm, I'd do what my chars always emote. Wrapping their frigging cloak around them tightly, as to avoid losing Flesh.

On second thought, that little room desc that pops up when you Look (direction) Such as near (an average place) far (nothing) very far (more nothing) should produce a slightly blurry image of the room. Kinda like when talking in a foriegn language (An average place) Thus becomes (A* av*r*ge p*lac*) Or something like that. that way you know that at least something screwys going on over there.
quote="Naiona"]I don't know nothing 'bout birthin' no muls, Miss Scarlet!  I don't know nothing![/quote]

I was thinking about it, often times when you're endlessly bumping into walls in a sandstorm, you can see two rooms away, or have a very limited option of space.  I was thinking in those situations, perhaps an expansion of the -watch- command to incorporate focal points.

Like i'm in a sandstorm, I can see from me, this guy two leagues away, so I use. watch east (man)  

If your watch skill is high enough, you'll be able to navigate forward using that focal point, in a case where a target such as a man were not presented, you could use just simple watch east, with more of a decrease in probability.

I'm thinking something like 3 leagues visibility 75-100% prob of making it.
2 rooms vis a lot lower, one room, you're essentially blind, if everywhere is faint 0%

Having a focal point like a statue, or would boost these probabilities...  While being in an endless wasteland, you would pretty fucked.  Limited exits  like only travelling north or south, would boost it as well maybe...

Not sure, but it's something to think on, thoughts anyone?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I would rather just roleplay I was crawling.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

The podgy, dappled-dickens whelp walks west, crawling on his hands and knees.

In all honesty, and yes, I know, we can emote, but I wish there were a larger number of movement types and greater disparities in their lag. Walk should be slower than it is, run should be fast ... some of the walk types I would like would be nothing more than roleplay.

Below is the list:

8 lag + crawl - limp
5 lag + meander - amble
4 lag + walk - lumber - trundle
2 lag + lope
1 lag + run
0 lag + sprint
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think itd be great for ninja's and such, for people to hide better crawl to a spot and sit listen and if your cought your caught would actually help thiefs a bit, sneak is hard to get good at so i suppose crawl would be for those reasons.
an people in Zalanthas get along? no, you know why? we all HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I suppose crawl would be better for outdoor stealth than city stealth.  I mean... crawling through a tavern entrance or down a busy road isn't going to make you less noticeable.

I voted yes, but I am not all that interested in it for sandstorms...though I think that if it reduced the chances of being blown off course, that would be pretty cool.

I can definitely see IC how that would work...I, too, have been blinded by bad snowstorms and had to crawl.  It also helps prevent being blown in a circle or knocked over by wind.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

If you're crawling you should release the reigns of whatever mount you're holding.

Quote from: "LauraMars"If you're crawling you should release the reigns of whatever mount you're holding.

And be forced to empty both of your hands.

I don't care about any sneak benefits or increased ability to navigate through weather.  I just want to see drunk PCs slowly crawling home from the taverns.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I think it's entirely realistic that an oblivious traveller might stumble into a fast-moving, volatile, unpredictable sandstorm and be unable to get out.

Just because sandstorms stay still and don't go anywhere due to the way they're coded doesn't mean that's the way they work in real life.
Back from a long retirement