Mounted NPCs

Started by Dan, April 03, 2006, 10:04:49 PM

I was just wondering why I have yet to see a mounted NPC (excluding guards for players) in my years with Armageddon. You would think that in some places there may be mounted NPCs is all. Thoughts? Comments?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Spiffy. More for me to JACK.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Where would such mounted NPCs be? If you ment the city, then you dont see mounted PCs in the city that often either, except those just returning or about to leave it. In which case there's plenty of vnpcs and room emotes that simulate it.

If you mean NPCs outside the city, like for example aggressive raiders, etc. Then they would simply be quickly dismounted and their rides sold. I do think there are a group like NPCs that mention mounted animals in their description, or perhaps I'm wrong.

Yes, pro'ly for the reason that they can be stolen, but I don't see why there couldn't be mounts--unless the staff doesn't want mounts because cavalry really hasn't been developed on Zalanthes yet. (which I know is an issue)
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I'd love to see mounted NPCs riding around in Red Storm and Luir's just for flavor.

It is my belief that the game's "persistence" code doesn't know how to serialize mounts.

I don't think it would be hard to add, though.

Then again, I also think there would be a lot of NPC kank-stealing going on, if we did add that, too.

-- X

There are a ton of "a rider on a so and so kank canters such and such direction" echoes on the main strip in 'nak.

I think it would be cool to add similar echoes to other locations.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I would completely steal every npc mount I saw.

Of course, I steal every pc mount I see, all the time.  Man am I rich.  And I rob all your apartments and I take all your mount tickets and I am such a big thief.

I'm all for this.  Do you want me to write some up?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Last thing we need is mounted gith, yo.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

This was just an observation of mine, that there wern't any codedly mounted NPCs. As for where, within some of the human tribal encampments, mayby coupled with the script for a gith that makes them shoot their bow and run away when approached. Inside some of the compounds mayby. I was looking for what others thought about why this is, and thoughts on it altogether. As for people stealing the mounts, it would be kind of hard to do without killing the NPC since they would be riding it. If your character is the type to kill someone for their mount, well you killed him sooo you've earned it. Big whoop.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "LauraMars"I would completely steal every npc mount I saw.

And there you have your answer why you don't see it.  They'd get stolen.  Sure, a few thieves might wish up "Hey, I'm gonna try and still this dude's kank", but there are many more who wouldn't.  They'd find a way to get the NPC off the mount, and then snatch it - providing free kanks for people - all without staff knowing it happened so the NPC wouldn't be animated to react realistically to someone stealing his kank.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Of course, he could be programmed to react realistically...

Plus, if you are hitched to your mount, you can't have it stolen from you in that manner, anyways.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've never seen why these NPcs are all alone in a dangerous world.

Why wouldn't they go out in parties?
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Why wouldn't they go out in parties?

It would be extremely dangerous to assume that they don't, simply because -you- haven't seen it.

-- X

Most Roaming NPC Playable Races and gith are usually always alone from what I've seen. You kill you and another doesn't come out of hiding.

Quote from: "Xygax"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Why wouldn't they go out in parties?

It would be extremely dangerous to assume that they don't, simply because -you- haven't seen it.

-- X

Now, in most cases, this is a IC occurance, not realism. You have nomads wandering the plains, gith roaming out on their own, and animals that probably should be pack animals off by themselves. This is not to say that there are not groups in the game that do roam as a group, nor to say that some NPCs do not lay out some suprisingly elaborate traps for that ass. And you are right, it is somewhat OOCly dangerous to assume that they are not part of some higher plan, and definately ICly dangerous to do so.

But there are most certianly some NPCs that do not go out as groups like they ought to, and this really should change in game.

I'll tell you all now, if I ever become an Immortal here, one of my pet projects will be making every NPC in the world not affected by the SIM code act realistically.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870