Wearing belts over cloaks...

Started by DesertT, April 01, 2006, 11:48:49 PM

Allow belts to be worn over cloaks as well as under?

Yes, over or under.
13 (28.3%)
No, it's fine as it is.  Under.
19 (41.3%)
Bleh, I really don't care.
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 01, 2006, 11:48:49 PM

Could you make it so that depending on WHEN you wear a belt, it goes over or under your cloak?

I found a really cool belt that I'd like to show off, but I'd like to wear it OVER my cloak, not under... :cry:

Anyone else like this idea?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Use the belt in emotes, getting coins from it and the like.  If you want to show other people its description either remove it or your cloak for a moment.

Or we could have an awesome "open cloak" command.

YES.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

It is concievable to wear most belts over a cloak. One of the best looks over is a dark cloak, whether black or green or something, and a rope belt over it with your hood up. That or white, that's awesome too.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

You guys, don't wear belts over cloaks.  It looks retarded.  I'll quit the game if this goes in.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I want to wear my sheath over my cloak.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "LauraMars"You guys, don't wear belts over cloaks.  It looks retarded.  I'll quit the game if this goes in.

Not only that, it'd be very uncomfortable as well.

In this harsh environment, being comfortable is one of the most important things. Sure those Zalanthan people can stand being hot and sand pelting them in the face, but they might go crazy if they had to look retarded and feel uncomfortable.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Practicality over beauty to us 'Nakkis.
We all know you northern types wear paintings under your breastplates.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Or we could have an awesome "open cloak" command.

YES.

A plaza inset with greyish stones [SNES]

The figure in a greyish threadbare sandcloth cloak has arrived from the west.

The figure in a greyish threadbare sandcloth cloak looks about the area, his eyes narrowing to thin slits as they rock back and forth, caressing over the crowd gathered here.

The cherub-like, red-crowned urchin looks at the figure in a greyish threadbare sandcloth cloak, index finger upon her bottom lip.

As he fumbles with his cloak's ties, sweeping it open with both sweaty hands to expose his naked body and swinging miniscule genitalia, the figure in a greyish threadbare sandcloth cloak exclaims, in sirihish, "BEHOLD!"

The sharply-goateed man adjusts his bubbled-glass monacle, grimacing.

A few shrieks arise from the crowd, and a general panic takes hold of the square.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

It's a cloak. You don't wear a belt over a cloak. That's silly.

I think people seem to very often confuse a robe with a cloak. A cloak (typically) has no sleeves. If you put a belt over a cloak, your arms are stuck inside. It's very hard to buckle a belt without any arms. You would have to hire an assistant. And your assistant would either have to wear a robe, give up his cloak, or worry about his pants falling down. So all of a sudden, not only is the entire economy of Zalanthas changed by new merchant house that specializes in buckling belts, but you also have a whole lot of pantless people now running around.

This is a cloak:

Quote from: "DesertT"Could you make it so that depending on WHEN you wear a belt, it goes over or under your cloak?

I found a really cool belt that I'd like to show off, but I'd like to wear it OVER my cloak, not under... :cry:

Anyone else like this idea?

Over your cloak?  What the....  You mean you strap the belt over your cloak?  That's like tucking your pants into your socks.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Cloak clasp/unclasp. I'm tellin' you.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I view cloaks/dusters more like this:

..only with a hood, usually..

So a belt over the top could work.. but it'd just be damn silly. :)

That movie rocks, by the way.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Tthose are -coats-.  There's a huuuuuge difference, especially since there are actual coat objects in game.  I know there are some cloaks that have sleeves in the description, but most don't.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I side with the "no belts over cloaks" party.  Even a swordbelt wouldn't be worn over a greatcloak.  Remember that cloaks aren't just an accessory in Zalanthas, these are what people wear to survive potentially deadly sandstorms and powerful windstorms.  Those things are thick, and wearing a belt over them could seriously impede air circulation, not to mention make the cloak tangle with the weaponry one would hang on their belts.

I would like to see an Unclasp cloak function, though.  Why else do we buy all those fancy shirts, and why do we have to take off our greatcloaks to show them?  It's silly.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Tamarin"Tthose are -coats-.  There's a huuuuuge difference, especially since there are actual coat objects in game.  I know there are some cloaks that have sleeves in the description, but most don't.

No Tamarin. They -are- dusters.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Tamarin"I know there are some cloaks that have sleeves in the description, but most don't.

That's why I said typically. I know there are a few "cloak" objects that are described as having sleeves. Those objected are mislabeled, and should be either dusters or coats or one of the other over-drapings that does typically have sleeves attached.

Okay okay okay...they're dusters.  Which is more or less a kind of coat.  Let's all have a happy coat-duster dance now!
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Yeah, dusters have sleeves.  I'm a Duster Collector in the game, because they are badass and I love the westerness.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Some cloaks do have sleeves, though the sleeves are usually in the form of slits or holes through which you can poke your arms through. Nevertheless, as a general rule, you don't wear a belt over a cloak. You can, but it would be inconvinient, uncomfortable, and overall silly.

Both dusters AND coats are in-game, as well as cloaks.
Tlaloc
Legend

Well, I can't completely agree here.There are some garments that act as cloaks that you should be able to wear a belt over.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The open/close cloak isn't a bad idea, if your cloak is tagged for having buttons or something down the front to actually fasten it shut. And I see no problem with just adding the finery into an emote where appropriate. If people are really needing to go to the taverns to show off those fancy ruffles on their shirts and tassles on their belts, maybe instead what's needed is a coat-checking room.
You stable a kank, you check your cloak, put that ticket into your fancy assed belt or silk-stitched backpack and show off your finery. In the more high-classed taverns I could see this working. There'd be a small fee, naturally, unless you're someone whose rank warrents a freebie, such as nobles. If you can't afford a fee to check your cloak/coat/duster etc, you probably can't afford the kind of clothes worth really showing off anyway.
A side note, I don't think it should work exactly like a stable, in that you can log off, and come back 3 RL weeks later and expect them to still hold your merchants threadbare cloak for a measly 10 sid. After an alotted amount of time I think it reasonable the cloak no longer be available (unless you're a noble of course). Nothing like a few IG days, as some people do actually spend that long tavern sitting and talking. But a couple RL days, maybe a RL week tops to allow for forgetfulness or RL emergencies that don't allow time to grab your cloak before quitting out.
Anyway, just my solution to wanting to show off your frippery!
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Snakes on an argosy.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki