Feedback on new request process.

Started by Raesanos, April 01, 2006, 03:40:38 PM

I noticed a bug in the new tool...

I followed the following line:

GDB Related --> Complaint or Appeal --> Details

In the details text field, I entered a bunch of stuff, then hit next to see the preview.  I didn't like what I saw, so I hit previos to change it.  When the  previous page (step 4) loaded, the text I had entered was now gone and I had to retype it all.

Is there any way to get the entered text to stay in the database through this process?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Question, I sent a log in and when I got a receipt, it was blank.  Wondering if special characters such as < > might blank out the log in email, or possibly in the request.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think it would be great if, in addition to the options listed, there could be an "other" option.  I just submitted a request and couldn't find a subcategory to file it under, so I filed it under Staff Complaints.  That's not as bad as it sounds.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "FightClub"Question, I sent a log in and when I got a receipt, it was blank.  Wondering if special characters such as < > might blank out the log in email, or possibly in the request.

Logs are not sent back in the response.  We get the logs, don't worry about it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "LauraMars"I think it would be great if, in addition to the options listed, there could be an "other" option.  I just submitted a request and couldn't find a subcategory to file it under, so I filed it under Staff Complaints.  That's not as bad as it sounds.

If something doesn't fit in an existing category please just email it to mud.  Requests not handled by the tool shouldn't go into it.  Also, our statistics for how many staff complaints we get will become innacurate.

That said, new categories are always considered, but for now I don't want to add "other" categories, I'd rather try to make it handle what needs to be handled specifically.

I wish I could log into the reqest section and see -there- the requests that I previously have made, instead of relying on my email inbox.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I seem to be unable to login.  I think that it is because my password exceeds the maximum number of characters allowable in the password input box.

I somehow think that's impossible, as the max length of a password on the form is 40 characters.  Mail morgenes@gmail.com with your account name and I'll see what I can see.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I added a request history page by popular request.

Is it possible to edit the 'resolution' to cut out your own text?

QuoteRequest Details:
Category
Web Site
Type
Bug / Typo / Idea
Clan
None
Character
None
Details
How about an option to sign out of the 'request' form for my account? I don't see a way to do it, and I'm kinda scared about that.
Log
None
Resolution
Mansa, Your Web Site : Bug / Typo / Idea request has been resolved. Here are the details you provided for this request: How about an option to sign out of the 'request' form for my account? I don't see a way to do it, and I'm kinda scared about that. Raesanos Armageddon Staff

See how Resolution shows the Details again?  Too bad it just can't show the last comment, which is highlighted in BOLD

Another example:

Request Details
Category
Web Site
Type
Bug / Typo / Idea
Clan
None
Character
None
Details
At the bottom of: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/overview.html

"Players and staff conduct lively arguments and debates on the discussion board and we meet every year at the Armageddon Players Meeting, which is held in conjunction with DragonCon and has been held in the past in locations such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Baltimore, Raleigh, and Iowa City. "

It mentions DragonCon and being in conjunction. Since this year is going to be in Las Vegas, I think the text should be changed slightly to read, "..Armageddon Players Meeting, which travels the world each year, and has been in the past in conjunction with DragonCon (insert url) in Atlanta, Las Vegas, Chicago, Baltimore, Raleigh, Iowa City and Phunket in Thailand..."

I'm sure there could be better wording for 'phunket in thailand' but my mind is failing.

Log
None
Resolution
Mansa, Your Web Site : Bug / Typo / Idea request has been resolved. Here are the details you provided for this request: At the bottom of: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/overview.html "Players and staff conduct lively arguments and debates on the discussion board and we meet every year at the Armageddon Players Meeting, which is held in conjunction with DragonCon and has been held in the past in locations such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Baltimore, Raleigh, and Iowa City. " It mentions DragonCon and being in conjunction. Since this year is going to be in Las Vegas, I think the text should be changed slightly to read, "..Armageddon Players Meeting, which travels the world each year, and has been in the past in conjunction with DragonCon (insert url) in Atlanta, Las Vegas, Chicago, Baltimore, Raleigh, Iowa City and Phunket in Thailand..." I'm sure there could be better wording for 'phunket in thailand' but my mind is failing. Raesanos Armageddon Staff

I think it would be better if it was like this:
Log
None
Resolution
Mansa, Your Web Site : Bug / Typo / Idea request has been resolved. Raesanos Armageddon Staff

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I've not looked at the request tool yet, and odds are, I probobly never will.

Whatever.

But I really don't understand the reasoning behind removing bug/typo from in game. I dislike that change.

When I notice a typo or a bug, I'm 95% of the time, doing something in game, I then use the nice easy, command that does not hurt the flow of play.

But now, I cannot do so. I have to go to some web page figure out how that works, get to the area, type in whatever..blah blah blah.

All it means in the end is that I will no longer be logging bugs or typos to the mud. Shrug.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"I've not looked at the request tool yet, and odds are, I probobly never will.

Whatever.

But I really don't understand the reasoning behind removing bug/typo from in game. I dislike that change.

When I notice a typo or a bug, I'm 95% of the time, doing something in game, I then use the nice easy, command that does not hurt the flow of play.

But now, I cannot do so. I have to go to some web page figure out how that works, get to the area, type in whatever..blah blah blah.

All it means in the end is that I will no longer be logging bugs or typos to the mud. Shrug.

You're wrong, X-D.  You should really check out what the request function is really about.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18029

QuoteThe game typo/bug/idea request type was removed. Please submit these using the commands with those names in the game. This provides us better information about what was reported.

Alright.
Step 1
Bring up web browser.
Step 2
Go to web page
Step 3
login
step 4
click next
step 5
pick category
step 6
click next
step 7
Go back because you can't find anything that says bug/typo/idea
step 8
get pissed off and leave

No Mansa, I'm not wrong.

Oh look, a room desc spelled wrong

typo Hey, the word cave in this room desc is spelled wrong, it says a dark cive.

Hey look, ONE step...wow.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

X-D:  Why is it that you think the in-game bug/typo/idea commands no longer work?

Hhhmmm, thought I saw that they were removed.
Maybe I read wrong?
I'll look:)

Oh, Also, I have checked out the request thing and well...Nope, don't much like it anyway.

From my end it is still easier to mail mud, shrug.

(EDIT)

Same here, Just reread it and it was removed from request not game...Heh.
Lizzie:

Yeah, I just reread the announcement again and apparently it was the website bug/typo/idea function that was removed and we are being asked to use those commands in game.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "X-D"From my end it is still easier to mail mud, shrug.

Your definition of "easier" must not include having your requests handled expediently.  (actually, I'm not sure if requests which are provided-for by the tool will be handled by the mud account at all -- much less expediently, given that the tool makes the staff-burden for these requests so much lighter.)

-- X

It probobly does make it easier on the staff end.
But, I've never made a request that I was in a hurry on.

A week, shrug, two, no big deal, a month, maybe I'll mail again, maybe not.

I'll wait and see if it gets more streamlined on the player end.

I really don't see the need for all the menus unless you are only allowed a certain number of options in a dropdown.

I went through them all and if there is not a limit, why then are all the final options simply not on one dropdown?

Login, dropdown, pick, poof.
Lizzie:

I can see not including bugs and typos in the webby thing, but Ideas seem like they could be useful there.  Sometimes I have an idea that takes up more than 200 characters and isn't location specific.  

For example: one day I had an idea for a new apartment code command, "rent rules".  When I rented an apartment from a PC Nenyuk they would always give me some rules, and when I rent an apartment in real life they always give me pages of rules.  But when I rent an apartment from an NPC I have to guess about the rules.  Like if there is no cooking area included, and especially if there are no windows, then that building might have a "no cooking inside the building" rule.  Is it ok to let my legion of water mage friends make water in my room, and does it make a difference what part of the city that room is in?  Speaking of making water, my room doesn't appear to have any plumbing, is there a specific area in or around the building for waste disposal?  Are pets ok, or should I be sneaking my pet lizard past the manager?  These rules would be mostly for flavor rather than code, since the rooms themselves are not patrolled, but flavor is good.  Once you know there are rules you can decide if your character is the sort of person who obeys the rules, the sort of person who bends the rules but feels nervous about it, or the sort of person who brazenly breaks the rules as long as the law isn't involved.  
I used the in-game idea command, but since I had to try to squeeze it in under 200 characters I'm not sure if it was coherent.  I have a real problem being succinct.  :)  I was standing in a tenement lobby when I submitted the idea, but it really isn't an idea that needs to be linked to one particular location or NPC.  It isn't something that fits with any of the web tool categories, but it also isn't something so special that it needs to be looked at by the account mail person either.

Just a thought.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

It'd be good if there was an option under character to add keywords.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]