Value

Started by Fragmented, March 31, 2006, 03:46:20 AM

Am I the only person that thinks the value skill is a little silly? I mean.. getting feedback that that cheap ring weighs 57 stones is well.. silly.

I propose Value be overhauled, and that weight be more acurately represented, maybe with an error rate of 5 stones max for heavier items, but a much smaller range then it is now. The coin issue is more realistic, as I find the coin value range being a guess, which slowly progresses into a confident estimate through experience.

Perhaps your character is just very unskilled at value...
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I realize I'm very unskilled. I'm talking about the range of error though. It just seems unrealistic.

I would like to see everyone having a very basic value skill, as well. Identifying a feather at 99 stones and 5000 coins is pretty silly. It'd be nice to have a ballpark.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Value has already been updated to give a more realistic range of numbers.

Before it just used to be way out of wack.  Now it's more reasonable.

And when you get good at the skill, more information does become available.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Well obviously as you get better, more information becomes available, but I have to agree... when it tells me a pair of silk slippers weigh as much as the half-giant guard next to me... theres something wrong. Even the lousiest characters really shouldn't be making that much of an error.

I treat value as the number I instantly think of, before I've had a chance to think about it.  It's not the number my character believes is true, by any means.  don't let the code dictate your character.

- HK
- HK

Besides which, all you have to do is use the command repeatedly to get a ballpark figure.  In fact, you can have a bit of fun with statistical analysis by keeping track of your results.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

To be honest, it is silly, and well ... I enjoy it. I kind of like how off it is due to its humorious value. But there's always a possibility of weighing it by an npc, or better yet some pc merchant

Another idea is an object that would give a 'significant' boost to value skill, or perhaps can be 'used' to figure out the weight without telling you the price itself. I'm talking about scales of some sort.