Punctuation.

Started by Cale_Knight, March 25, 2006, 12:52:06 AM

Real little thing.

Just make it automatically append periods to sentences that don't end with one, like it does for emotes.

Please. Help keep me sane.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Please don't.

It destroys poems, songs, and talk/say/tells that want to end with - or : or ;

Live with it, hope people are more careful, or stop being so anal ;)

No, I don't mean throw one onto every sentence without a period. Just those that end with nothing at all. Other punctuation marks are just fine.  :(

You're too lazy to type add a period to the sentences that you type, but not too lazy to post a suggestion for people to do it for you?

Or did you mean something else?
b]YB <3[/b]

Oh, I never forget it. But lots of other people do.

The code already does this for emotes. Capitalizes sentences, too. I'm just suggesting expanding it to talking.

Yeah this is good.  And surely easy.  And maybe a period could be automatically appended to ldescs too.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

One thing I would've love to happen is for the client to automatically capitilize your verbal text. Says/tells/shout/setc. Way too. But that's simply because I'm fucking plagued by this, me and me only. I'm not jarred by others doing it, because ... most capitilize their words just fine by themselves, I'm jarred by being unable to gain that habit myself.

It's not that I dont know the rules of grammar, and capitalize the words in pure text well enough. It's just that Arma is one of the very few, or one and only mud that doesnt capitalize character's verbal utterings automatically.

But that ofcourse is something I can overcome by myself, I just ... would prefer not to ... that and I keep slipping.

You see? My suggestion is 100% altruistic, for the benefit of folks like Folker.

Yeah... that's it.

I support it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd rather not automagically have the period appended, and here's why:

Some sentences mean two different things when a period or question mark is at the end.  I'd rather KNOW that there is some uncertainty when someone leaves the period off.  That way, I can know that I need to figure out from contextual clues whether it was a question or statement.  Sometimes this is quite obvious, even if they used the wrong punctuation...but sometimes it's not, and I want that clue.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

....what the hell are you talking about

Like that?

Hell no.

Put the period at the end.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteThe gnarled old man says to the young whippersnapper in sirihish, out of nowhere "Going to the store"

The young whippersnapper asks, stopping his stride and turning to face the gnarled old man "Was that a question, old man, or are you going to the store?"

The gnarled old man exclaims in sirihish, "Don't correct me, you young shite!  Just tell me whether you're going to the store or not!"
Not the best example, but I'm having trouble coming up with something more telling.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm just lazy

I don't put periods at the end of things my chars tend to say

I wouldn't mind this happening

I don't think many people purposefully leave off periods for the sake of obscurity

If they wished to they could put a few dots or something else to indicate that

I wonder how many people I've driven crazy

Heheheh.

I'd like to request we not use auto-capitalization.  I use all lower-case
sometimes to further denote saying something in a small or quiet voice
in addition to appending an emote to the beginning of a say or tell.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I don't think that auto-puntaction is necessary. On the other hand, I feel your pain, Cale_Knight, people who simply don't bother to end their says with period are annoying me as well. It always makes me feel as if they simply don't care enough to give you idea how their sentence ends.  :roll: And sadly, I see more of this slackers lately, some of them even in leadership positions. Come on, it is this lazyness what we want to show to new players?

PS. I am not sure if I understand what did you mean, Intrepid.

I absolutely hate it when people habitually leave off periods in every sentence.  Generally though it's newer characters who eventually learn Arm's style and begin doing it.  I hope everyone understands the period makes the sentence read better, follows normal grammar rules and therefore makes it feel more like an interactive book/play than being in some halfassed RP chatroom, and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

All that said I don't favor automagickal periods being added in.  Unless there is an option to turn it on or off, then I don't care either way.  But coders have better things to do and this really isn't a hard habit to develop.