Encumbrance.

Started by Cale_Knight, March 23, 2006, 03:03:32 PM

Now before anyone gets riled up, I'm not asking for any numbers whatsoever. Rather, I have a conceptual question.

Am I correct in thinking that the various encumbrance ratings are only a vauge representation of a broader range of numbers, much like stats? Or are there in fact only a small handful of encumbrance levels?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Now before anyone gets riled up, I'm not asking for any numbers whatsoever. Rather, I have a conceptual question.

Am I correct in thinking that the various encumbrance ratings are only a vauge representation of a broader range of numbers, much like stats? Or are there in fact only a small handful of encumbrance levels?

I think I understand your question.  Yes, there is a range of weight that is considered "light".  As for effects caused by encumbrance...I assume only staff can really tell you with certainty whether or not the lower end of "light" endurance has fewer penalties than the higher end of the range.

I think all in all there are maybe 7-9 encumbrance levels.  Your best bet is to try to stay as light as possible.  But then again if you're playing the right sort of PC having a full set of silt horror armors can be a life saver.

Encumbrance is based on your character's strength, the more strength you have, the more you can carry without being weighed down.  So yes, when you, a human see that your encumbrance is 'very heavy' and yet if you drop everything and give it all to a half-giant and they see 'light', it's because you have different strengths, and therefore the load is relative to that strength.

Clear enough?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I think what he was asking was if there was a range within a state of encumbrance.

I.E. Is there a light side and heavy side of very light encumbrance, and "very light" just encompasses this range?

Oh, and I believe this is indeed the case.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Yes, Laura is correct. For instance, hypothetically, let's say that every ten pounds you get extra penalities to your various stats that are affected by weight, but the message you get changes every 50 pounds.

0 - 50 pounds is "light."

51-100 pounds is "easily manageable."

Etc.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think you get penalized only as weight category (read: the words displayed in 'stat') changes.  Penalizing based on straight ranges, like "0-10, no penalty, 11-20 -1..." would eventually result in HG's being encumbered the same as someone with half the strength.

Having the weight category assign penalties, since the weight category already factors in the character's strength, makes the most sense.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.