Halaster's To-Do List

Started by Halaster, March 20, 2006, 10:49:58 AM

Here's my current Projects/To-Do List.  Much of it is edited so you don't know what it is because it's super sekritz.  How long will it take to do all these?  Well, some may never get done, who knows.  But this is just to give you a feel for what I'd like to do and work on, personally.

- Update some Nilazi spells to include a new feature.
- Called-shots for Archery - higher damage/other affects but lower chance to hit
- Secret Nilazi Magick Project
- Lure animals - a way for rangers to lure/call animals to them from one or two rooms away
- Ultra-secret merchanting project that'll be the coolest thing ever for merchant types
- Secret poison updates
- Updates to the ride skill to allow experienced riders to make their mounts do cool, fun things
- Fix the bug with Dispel Magick
- SimDesert-ize a couple of key zones
- More updates to books/bookshelves
- Secret new Drov spell
- Updates to a spell
- Fix a crafting bug that mortals never see - just annoys me as staff
- Update some spell messages to make them clearer
- Secret updates to teleport/banishment
- Housekeeping updates to a couple of whiran spells
- Secret updates to Dispel Magick
- Secret Project - eat/drink in nature
- Various spell fixes
- Script for templars to be able to contact gate-guards from a distance and order city-gates closed via the Way
- Magick updates
- More updates to SimDesert
- Minor update to Gather
- Add more craftable items to axe making
- Updates to armor
- Fix various gate-guard issues
- Update a drovian spell
- Secret new Drovian spell
- Update a drovian spell
- Update a nilazi spell
- Kill every PC mansa makes with extreme prejudice
- NoAttack - stops you from attacking during combat, you only defend see http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13144
- Updates to poison spell
- Updates to cure poison spell
- Secret Skill 1
- Secret Skill 2
- Updates to sleeping
- Secret new Nilazi spell
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Wow that is alot of stuff. If there is any way the player base can help on any of that you know we all have free Saturdays.  :)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I thought Nilazis were already scary enough...  :shock:

- Called-shots for Archery - higher damage/other affects but lower chance to hit

Lure animals - a way for rangers to lure/call animals to them from one or two rooms away

- Updates to the ride skill to allow experienced riders to make their mounts do cool, fun things

All very very very exciteing to me. And though I dont play magickers because I dont really enjoy them, all of the new magick updates and spells are really fascinateing as well.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: "Halaster"- Kill every PC mansa makes with extreme prejudice.

I assume you have your priorities in order, right?

- NoAttack - stops you from attacking during combat, you only defend see http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13144

:!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I love you Halaster, I really do.

P.S: No, I don't just love you, I really, really, really,really,really,really,really,really,
really,really,really,really,really,really,
really,really,really,really,really,really,love you.

Mmmm, called shots.  Tasty.

Pshah!

Is that all?

I thought you were gonna list more then one saterday downtimes worth of work.

Sigh.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Desertman"- Called-shots for Archery - higher damage/other affects but lower chance to hit

Lure animals - a way for rangers to lure/call animals to them from one or two rooms away

All very very very exciteing to me. And though I dont play magickers because I dont really enjoy them, all of the new magick updates and spells are really fascinateing as well.

I second, third, fourth, fifth all of that jazz.  That's sex on rangers right there I'm telling you.

Quote from: "Delirium"Mmmm, called shots. Tasty.

*swiftly notches and draws an arrow while Delirium talks to somebody*
I saaaaay....butt shot.
*the arrow sails through the air*

Noattack sounds awesome as well, and your post makes me want to play a Drovian or a Nilazi.

But I'm still squirming over the SimDesert and the Archery stuff.

(Called headshot + shorter shooting lag = Rishenko in trouble)

There's some stuff on there that is really, really awesome... but there's one in particular that really trips my fancy.

Unfortunately I can't quote it as that's a dead giveaway to who I'm playing right now.

Rock on, Halaster.  You are too much metal for one zalanthan mutant!  \mmm/
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

And a certain dwarf stands by on a rooftop.

Hey, watch this.

Called shot butt Delirium.

Called shot butt Reshinko.

Easy as pie...I am the best after all.

hide

Quote from: "Dwarf kank"And a certain dwarf stands by on a rooftop.

Hey, watch this.

Called shot butt Delirium.

Called shot butt Reshinko.

Easy as pie...I am the best after all.

hide

Best or no, ya can't hit his ass if ya can't spell 'is name right, stumpy!

Could called shots be extended to throw as well?  That'd be even sexier.

All these look really great and I can't wait to try them out in game.  From what I've seen of it I absolutely love the Sim desert code, and any improvements would be great.  It begins to make the world feel very vey alive.

One small preference:  I like the idea of a lure animal skill, it does sound interesting.  But it seems in part designed to get around the inability of sneak to work against mobs as an aide in hunting.  I'd much rather see sneak reworked or hide being rechecked every move to see if its maintained (if that's even a fix to a problem) than a lure skill.  The main reason for this is it seems to me a reworked sneak/hide would eliminate most of the advantages of a lure skill but also have much farther (and in my opinion good) implications for the game and stealth PCs.

But again that's just my preference, thanks for sharing.  It all looks like cool stuff.

PS:  I'd also like more updates for my current character class.  The check is in the mail.

PPS: Please don't eat my brainz...

Quote from: "SpyGuy"
One small preference:  I like the idea of a lure animal skill, it does sound interesting.  But it seems in part designed to get around the inability of sneak to work against mobs as an aide in hunting.

Are you absolutely sure it doesn't?

Sounds sweet.
your mother is an elf.

That does it, I'm making a Nilazi.

When I do, let me know if you need any playtesting, Halasturd.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Halaster"
One small preference:  I like the idea of a lure animal skill, it does sound interesting.  But it seems in part designed to get around the inability of sneak to work against mobs as an aide in hunting.

I saw you commenting on this before and for the life of me I'm not able
to figure out in what way you can get around the auto-flee mobs. It does
sound like something an average hunter would have knowledge about as
well.

All I think is the boots may make a difference, the clothing may make a
difference, sneaking into the room adjacent to the critter before sneaking
into their room. I'm stumped, that's all I can think of, and it makes sense
that if you are a sneaky guy, you should be able to do it.

<points up> Yep.

Stumped.

If Delirium doesn't know how to do it, I have to assume it's not something any ranger player is going to figure out on his own.

Anyway, as far as the list, what about that command that cancels any other commands that are queued up? Like directions, or a bash entered just after being disarmed, etc?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Ktavialt"

I saw you commenting on this before and for the life of me I'm not able
to figure out in what way you can get around the auto-flee mobs. It does
sound like something an average hunter would have knowledge about as
well.

All I think is the boots may make a difference, the clothing may make a
difference, sneaking into the room adjacent to the critter before sneaking
into their room. I'm stumped, that's all I can think of, and it makes sense
that if you are a sneaky guy, you should be able to do it.

Ok, the deal is this:  I saw the code for it a while back and assumed it worked because I tested it quickly.  Turns out I tested it wrong, and sure enough, this code is/was buggy.  Soooo.... I fixed it.  Next reboot this should be working again - i.e. you can sneak up on creatures that flee if your sneak is good enough.

Thats all we ask.

WEEEE!!!

Hurry up, somebody crash the mud!

Xygax! BECOME A HERO!!!

JK about crashing the mud BTW.

Xygax?
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
t.

:)

*dances around Halaster, hailing*

PS

Quote from: "X-D"Hurry up, somebody crash the mud!

Xygax! BECOME A HERO!!!

JK about crashing the mud BTW.

Xygax?

ROFL!  Xygax legacy is hereby etched in stone.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Hopefully, I'll have a less hapless legacy to report in a week or two.

-- X

We love you, Xygax.

Now...

DID YOU CAUSE THIS CRASH?

*giggles*

Normally I'm all in for gemmers. 99% of my magickers have the gem already in history, or they run to get it. But.. after seeing this list, I'm feeling the urge to app for a Nilazi for the first time.
Just, I don't have any good character ideas for a Nilazi and it would be a waste.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"Normally I'm all in for gemmers. 99% of my magickers have the gem already in history, or they run to get it. But.. after seeing this list, I'm feeling the urge to app for a Nilazi for the first time.

Just tell everyone that you are a Whiran or a Drovian or something.  Unless they see you casting a spell, who is going to know?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Sweeeeet.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Halaster"Ok, the deal is this:  I saw the code for it a while back and assumed it worked because I tested it quickly.  Turns out I tested it wrong, and sure enough, this code is/was buggy.  Soooo.... I fixed it.  Next reboot this should be working again - i.e. you can sneak up on creatures that flee if your sneak is good enough.

No freaking way......

You rock Halaster.

Quote from: "Halaster"Ok, the deal is this:  I saw the code for it a while back and assumed it worked because I tested it quickly.  Turns out I tested it wrong, and sure enough, this code is/was buggy.  Soooo.... I fixed it.  Next reboot this should be working again - i.e. you can sneak up on creatures that flee if your sneak is good enough.
Shit, that's awesome.  I don't know how long people have been asking for it but it has been years.  And it's great that it's in.  Thank you.

Out of curiousity does this mean that you can also sneak past NPC soldiers when you become wanted, or are the two unrelated?
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Out of curiousity does this mean that you can also sneak past NPC soldiers when you become wanted, or are the two unrelated?

Unrelated - I dealt with the code that specifically causes the npc critters to flee when someone enters the room.

- Update some Nilazi spells to include a new feature.
- Lure animals - a way for rangers to lure/call animals to them from one or two rooms away
- Ultra-secret merchanting project that'll be the coolest thing ever for merchant types
- Secret poison updates
- Fix the bug with Dispel Magick
- More updates to books/bookshelves
- Secret new Drov spell
- Updates to a spell
- Fix a crafting bug that mortals never see - just annoys me as staff
- Update some spell messages to make them clearer
- Secret updates to teleport/banishment
- Housekeeping updates to a couple of whiran spells
- Secret updates to Dispel Magick
- Secret Project - eat/drink in nature
- Various spell fixes
- Script for templars to be able to contact gate-guards from a distance and order city-gates closed via the Way
- Magick updates
- Minor update to Gather
- Add more craftable items to axe making
- Updates to armor
- Fix various gate-guard issues
- Update a drovian spell
- Secret new Drovian spell
- Update a drovian spell
- Update a nilazi spell
- Kill every PC mansa makes with extreme prejudice
- Updates to poison spell
- Updates to cure poison spell
- Secret Skill 1
- Secret Skill 2
- Updates to sleeping

Wheres the coded mudsexing?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Think Eniriah has been given the job of coding the mudsexing.

Good thing too, if halaster did it you would probly just explode 6 seconds in.

With Eniriah it will just be comedy...like its not anyway.
Lizzie:

Quote from: "X-D"Think Eniriah has been given the job of coding the mudsexing.

Good thing too, if halaster did it you would probly just explode 6 seconds in.

With Eniriah it will just be comedy...like its not anyway.

Exploding in 6 seconds is comedy?

Bad pun aside. Just holler if you need any help, halaster.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

<3
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ranger sneak and sip fix, what a wonderful day!

Now to strap Halaster to a chair and hold a cattle prod to his neck until he gets the other ranger related things (Nilazis be damned!) finished..NOW!

Well, the sneak thing might have been bugged, but you -can- stalk your prey as a ranger, if you have enough patience.

Since most critters tend to wander, if you just sit in the room adjacent to them, eventually they'll wander into the room with you, and you can attack them.

It does take quite a bit of time, but hey...it's stalking, and it works.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

This mob-stalking should definitely not be as easy as it seems to be so far. Not with an animal that relies primarily on running away to survive, because they tend to be extremely good at detecting predators.

Also, is this called shot idea going to combine with the already nasty skill-based location hits, or replace it? Will you be able to do it at more than one room away, making for a truly incredible shot?
Dig?

IT works IT WORKS!!!
GLORY BE IT WORKS!!!

High five Halaster.

Tested and tried with a big thumbs up!

Speaking sneaking up on auto-flee animals of course.

Where be the warrior lovin' Halaster? We all know ranger's are rigged, viva la warriors!
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Yes, Halaster! Pimp my warrior!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "FightClub"Where be the warrior lovin' Halaster? We all know ranger's are rigged, viva la warriors!

Krath.  Warrior lovin' needs to stay in the walls of 'nak.  Ranger's need the help considerin' they actually have scary things to worry about. ;)

Quote from: "House Rising Sun"This mob-stalking should definitely not be as easy as it seems to be so far. Not with an animal that relies primarily on running away to survive, because they tend to be extremely good at detecting predators.

That's definitely something I want to look out for.  If you feel that it's too easy to sneak up on them, please let me know, and I can look more into it and adjust it.  So please, rangers, email me if you think it's too easy or too hard or whatever.

Quote from: "House Rising Sun"
Also, is this called shot idea going to combine with the already nasty skill-based location hits, or replace it? Will you be able to do it at more than one room away, making for a truly incredible shot?

I imagine that only someone truly 'maxxed' at archery would be able to land a called-shot from more than 1 room.  I dunno, haven't thought much about it besides the basic idea, really.  Just in the idea stages at this point and not one of the higher things on my to-do list.

I think the thing I'm probably going to work on first (besides small bugfixes and tweaks) is the "best thing ever" idea for merchants.  It's so cool, I'm excited about it.

I don't think it's -that- easy.  If you're a ranger that needs to have a mount with you, it's still quite difficult because (afaik) you have to leave your mount behind when you do it.  Will test this to verify.

QuoteI think the thing I'm probably going to work on first (besides small bugfixes and tweaks) is the "best thing ever" idea for merchants. It's so cool, I'm excited about it.

Not as cool as my "best thing ever" idea for Nobles.
Tlaloc
Legend

Will you tell us what the great thing is when you're done with it, Halaster?

p.s. I think there should be sneaky kanks.  Hwahwahwahwa.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

This is gr8 thread. Made me happy. Thanks.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I would like to make some useful suggestions to Halaster's list:

-Secret update to secret place
-Update secret door to actually open
-Update to animal to do secret thing
-Change secret object
-Implement SimSecretDesert
-Create SimRinth
-Minor tweak to major spell
-Major tweak to minor spell
-Secretly change secret
-Add new spell to rangers

However, I am far from useful.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Twilight"
-Create SimRinth

Funny you say that but I have a half-done, abandoned project that is that very thing.  I abandoned it because... I saw something shiney that distracted my attention.  Maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

Quote from: "Twilight"
-Create SimRinth

Funny you say that but I have a half-done, abandoned project that is that very thing.  I abandoned it because... I saw something shiney that distracted my attention.  Maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

Now that sounds sexy.  I've always thought the rinth was basically a populated wilderness area, hell its more wild than some desert areas.  It's the main reason I love Allanak, we've got the wilderness of thieves and elves right next door.  Simrinth would be so sweet.

I risk sounding like a newb..

What is SimDesert?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

It is a simulated desert. Npcs wander around to kill each other and eat each other. Go to watering holes to drink and so on.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"I risk sounding like a newb..

What is SimDesert?

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10350&highlight=simdesert

Are you gonna update us on which of these shiny things you're through with every once in a while?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "FightClub"Where be the warrior lovin' Halaster? We all know ranger's are rigged, viva la warriors!

Huh?! Where's the lovin' Halaster? We don't like ranger's we want special uber warrior flying attacks, fifteen knive throws, blade spins more slices thrust, multiple aggressor modifiers, and as I call it, a ten gallon drum of ass whoopin to be employed by the warriors!
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Nao"Are you gonna update us on which of these shiny things you're through with every once in a while?

Just pay attention to the recent news thingie on the home page, as well as the weekly updates.

I think SimDesert and SimRinth could quite possibly be the most important
updates the game has ever received, aside from the hardware and
backend upgrades.   :shock:
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Halaster, when you implement NoAttack...any chance you could do it so that you always get a single strike attempt when you type the hit/kill command, even if you've got NoAttack set?

Quote> tell petite (her voice menacing) You lookin' at my man?
The flower-haired, petite merchant says, glaring at the hawk-nosed, freckle-faced warrior: "An' what if I was?"
> tell petite 'Cause I got a problem with that.
The flower-haired, petite merchant says, stepping up close: "I'll show you where to put your problem!"
> noattack on
The flower-haired, petite merchant's pathetic blow is absorbed by a sandcloth shirt.
The flower-haired, petite merchant's pathetic blow is absorbed by a sandcloth shirt.
> em laughs raucously.
> kill petite
You punch the flower-haired, petite merchant, knocking her sprawling.