exceptional vs extremely good

Started by JRB, March 20, 2006, 02:01:06 AM

Does anyone know the order of which the str/agi/wis/end stats are from least to greatest?  I searched the help files and didn't find anything about it.  Reason I ask I am wondering if exceptional better than extremely good?
he two-page description man has arrived from the west.

Very poor, poor, below average, average, above average, good, very good, extremely good, LauraMars sucks, exceptional, absolutely incredible.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

You forgot extremely good, which comes after very good.  I think.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I did not.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

:(

There is no 'very poor'.

Poor, below average, average, above average, good, very good, extremely good, exceptional, absolutely incredible.

The difference between extremely good and exceptional is that one of them is really good and the other is just sort of weird.

I get my laughs on how far from the true stats average 'average' is - the actual average is either 'good' or 'above average'.  Humor demands that our average is above average.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"There is no 'very poor'.

Poor, below average, average, above average, good, very good, extremely good, exceptional, absolutely incredible.

The difference between extremely good and exceptional is that one of them is really good and the other is just sort of weird.

I get my laughs on how far from the true stats average 'average' is - the actual average is either 'good' or 'above average'.  Humor demands that our average is above average.

Most confusing post. Ever.

There IS very poor, but you cannot roll it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Teehee.

Stats with fake numbers are:
Poor (I 0-5), below average (II 6-10), average (III 11-15), above average (IV 16-20), good (V 21-25), very good (VI 26-30), extremely good (VI 31-35), exceptional (VIII 35-40), absolutely incredible (IX 40-45).

This makes the average stat, using these fake numbers, 20-25.  So:
LOWEST: highest number in range of IV [verbal description 'above average'].
HIGHEST: highest number in range of V [verbal description 'good'].

In other words, when you type SCORE and see that your Strength is 'III Average', your strength is actually below the average score in the IV-V range.  Ironically, 'below average' is also the verbal description of category II.  Additionally, when your SCORE says that your Strength is 'IV above average', you are most likely just shy of having the true average (IV-V range) of the statistic.

In conclusion: Above average is average and average is below average, and the average is good.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

That would be true, if you could start with a stat of 0, which you can't. So, Poor has to have a starting range above 0.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"That would be true, if you could start with a stat of 0, which you can't. So, Poor has to have a starting range above 0.
Check your Score when you're at the Hall of Kings, and you'll find all your stats at the minimum.  I suppose it's just as possible that they're all at 1 instead of 0, but there's no real way for us players to know.

Quote from: "Larrath"I get my laughs on how far from the true stats average 'average' is - the actual average is either 'good' or 'above average'. Humor demands that our average is above average.

I thought I heard that "average" is actually given more weight as a stat, or to use your number example, has more numbers than the other stats in order to make it average.  This sounds like a load of crap, so like you, I continue to laugh at averages.

Quote from: "Larrath"Check your Score when you're at the Hall of Kings, and you'll find all your stats at the minimum.

Is that still the case?  Last time I was in the HoK and typed score my stats were what I ended up playing in the game.

I guess it's not important or topically ON though... *resumes eating worms*

Remember that this is all relative to your race as well.  An Human with good agility might still not be as agile as an elf with average agility, and an Elf with exceptional strength is still weaker than a Half-giant with good strength.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

There is a way to know.

I've had two chars with poor str in the past, one elf (who soon died) And one half-giant. The elf could barely carry his starting clothes and coins. The half-giant could still carry a dead kank.

This means that in either extreme the rating of poor was not 0 and in the case of the half-giant was much higher then AI for most any other race.
Lizzie:

The 'poor' score in the Hall of Kings is not a regular 'poor' score after you leave the Hall of Kings.  According to my memory, all PCs in the Hall of Kings had exactly 10 hitpoints regardless of their race, which suggests that 10 hp is the lowest number a PC can have as a natural maximum based on stats.

It is clear that the numbers behind the words are different for each character, and that poor strength for a half-giant can well be higher than absolutely incredible strength for an elf, but all of this doesn't touch the pointless point I've been making - getting Poor and Below Average stats seems pretty rare to me, and because of that it's unlikely that the stat range called 'Average' is truly average.  Perhaps it makes more sense in the code with better thought-out numbers, but it's still funny to me.

Quotegetting Poor and Below Average stats seems pretty rare to me, and because of that it's unlikely that the stat range called 'Average' is truly average. Perhaps it makes more sense in the code with better thought-out numbers, but it's still funny to me.

I'll not argue that pointless point:)

Because, likley, it is right anyway.
Lizzie:

Quote from: "JRB"Does anyone know the order of which the str/agi/wis/end stats are from least to greatest?  I searched the help files and didn't find anything about it.  Reason I ask I am wondering if exceptional better than extremely good?

Poor
Below Average
Average
Above Average
Good
Very Good
Extremely Good
Exceptional
Absolutely Incredible

Remember, stats are relative to the race, so a dwarf with poor strength will still be stronger than an elf with good strength, in regards to coded ability.  And a half-giant with absolutely incredible intelligence will be stupider than a human with average intelligence, in regards to coded ability.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I once had a character with Laura Mars Rocks wisdom.  If it's truly a simulation of Laura Mars, then I can only conclude that she does indeed rock.
Back from a long retirement

To determine what is truly average, all you have to do is keep records on your PC's stats and find the distribution.  If average is really average, it should be the middle of a relatively normal distribution.  If above average is really average, then it will be the middle of the distribution.

Of course, you'd have to control other influential factors, such as age, starting location, and guild, but over time you'd have enough samples to draw valid inferences from.

I highly doubt anyone will ever do this, though.

(And if I have, I'm not going to divulge the results of all my hard work to you undeserving scum.)

Armageddon, your secrets are safe.

(Or are they?)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.