Nosave

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, March 15, 2006, 03:59:51 PM

May I make a suggestion? At the gates of certian cities, when you pass through them, they save you automatically. Can it be added to set your nosave on when leaving the city and off when entering as well?

I recently lost a character because I resisted an arrest unintentionally, and I think it would be nice not to do so again.

Thanks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Can it?  Yes.

Will it?  No.

Why?  Because not everyone would want to be nosaved on/off.  If I was, say, a Tuluki invader who's attacking Allanak, I don't want my no-save turned on.  Or, if I'm a criminal who's going to try and fight my way down the street, I don't want my no-save turned on.

I think a good idea, however, might be to add the NOSAVE status to prompt, allowing you to have it shown all the time if you choose?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Or have specific nosave flags for each city.

NO SAVE TULUK, ACTIVATE!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Write a trigger for your mud client that sends you a message, reminding you to turn nosave on or off.

Something like..

#action {Gates of Allanak} {#showme CHECK YOUR NOSAVE STATUS!!}

Something along that line.

By the way, does anybody else ever get thrown off by trying to figure out what...nosave on...actually means?  "nosave"-ok, it's off.  "On" Ok, it's off mode is on or it's off on mode, or it's actually on now, or do they cancel out?  When it's tired and I'm late, I seem to get that confused.   :D
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: "DesertT"By the way, does anybody else ever get thrown off by trying to figure out what...nosave on...actually means?  "nosave"-ok, it's off.  "On" Ok, it's off mode is on or it's off on mode, or it's actually on now, or do they cancel out?  When it's tired and I'm late, I seem to get that confused.   :D

Always. :)
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Don't worry, you are not alone.

Thought I've managed to be careful enough with nosave it's never been a problem, being able to put in in your prompt would be nice.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I always leave it on. I'll risk getting subdued b a random joe schmoe and having a chance of escaping rather than gettting insta-pulped upon making an OOC mistake.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I always leave it on. I'll risk getting subdued b a random joe schmoe and having a chance of escaping rather than gettting insta-pulped upon making an OOC mistake.

With nosave on, you'll never succeed at climbing.  You'll auto-fail when someone tries to subdue you.  You'll auto-fail defence and a magicker will auto succeed when they try a spell on you.

It's risky business to leave your guard down at all times.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Noone knows my pc's guard is down and I can run away from all that.

I can't run away from 4 soldiers trying to subdue me and failing and then landing devestating hits to my neck.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Ohhh dude dude! Idea.

Alright you're walking into the gates with your fabled warrior bob.
fabled warrior bob has his greatsword out, and he's ready to absolutely onslaught tuluk jihad style.

He walks in guards draw their weapons, it's obvious they've been expected bob, probably due to his countless slaughter of patrols.
(mud pauses for bob he cannot move, he cannot react he cannot be touched by anyone as a prompt appears  type RESIST to RESIST arrest, or type SURRENDER to SURRENDER yourself to the authorities)

Bam solution fixed, no longer will people be needlessly slaughtered when they wanted to do otherwise.  It gives them a short time to calculate the situation and act accordingly.

What do you all think?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Actually....I like Fightclub's idea, though, NO other commands should be able to be entered in that time AND and string of commands should be purged at the end of that time. Stop people from stacking commands after they type resist.

resist;flee self;e;e;e;s;hide

Can't have that.

Mansa's is cool too, maybe even easier.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

We could also have something like at the shield wall...

> e
If you want to travel into the city, type 'e surrender' to surrender if the guards attempt to arrest you or 'e resist' if you intend to resist arrest.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"We could also have something like at the shield wall...

> e
If you want to travel into the city, type 'e surrender' to surrender if the guards attempt to arrest you or 'e resist' if you intend to resist arrest.

Now this I like. I only say this because for real, I doubt most folks think about nosave when they are coming back into the city. Or, maybe I'm just not alert enough or something.

Quote from: "X-D"Actually....I like Fightclub's idea, though, NO other commands should be able to be entered in that time AND and string of commands should be purged at the end of that time. Stop people from stacking commands after they type resist.

resist;flee self;e;e;e;s;hide

Can't have that.

Mansa's is cool too, maybe even easier.

I'd say we might have to do that.
The nanosecond that that PC enters in "resist." He'll be killed with 4 NPCs landing 2 blows on him apiece.

Another option would be to use a client to trigger on 'Saving at the gates of' to toggle nosave (clients are cool like that).
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morgenes does have a point.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

But why would people, who unknowingly have contraband, have such a trigger set up?

Seems like this is a reoccuring problem, and something that should be looked into.

I find it somewhat discouraging when most every concept presented is answered with (oh just make a trigger) when hard coding to these solutions would be much better, and especially for people who do not have these options avail.

This is starting to sound like my ansi color thread, yeah people found a way to put in color, it's great, but by only covers one client.  When it would just be better for the longterm if it were simply just put in code.

These are not projects that the players demand, but it is something worth looking into, and possibly putting it on the quere.

There's really no excuse for people dying this way, period.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "FightClub"This is starting to sound like my ansi color thread, yeah people found a way to put in color, it's great, but by only covers one client.  When it would just be better for the longterm if it were simply just put in code.

There might be two reasons for this. First, not everyone wishes to see it implemented. Second, there are things which seems to be more interesting/important to be added. Lot of clients allow you to highlight words or lines of text. Also, lot of them allow you to put in an easy action like this. Why to give coders more work while it is something you can easily solve yourself?

Why choose not to implement something that is the direct cause of people leaving, or not even  giving the mud a chance is the better question to ask.  And if you've read the thread 3/4 of the people say that the option should be able to be toggled, which I agree with.  Here however, I think it is clear that something should be done.  A trigger is not an easy solution, it's a solution some people wont know how to use, some people will die not knowing, and a solution probably only though up to those present, coding however is enforced, these people would have their chance, and no room to complain afterwards, thus saving the imms the strife of characters dying in such a manner.

I just want to add my full support after losing a 6 day character that was involved in some very good plots to gate guards. Those krathdamn twinks.

Okay, here's the thing, FightClub...

In some way, it's the player's fault that they didn't think of, just in case, turning on nosave.at the gate themself...just like putting weapons away.  You do that, don't you?  Why not simply change the habit to be put weapons away and then turn on nosave?

I admit that it is somewhat the player's responcability, but ... since saving at the gate is already in, I don't think doing a shield wall fall off notation about nosave would really, really hurt.

I'm also pretty sure it's not hard.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I admit that it is somewhat the player's responcability, but ... since saving at the gate is already in, I don't think doing a shield wall fall off notation about nosave would really, really hurt.

It would be pretty annoying though.  I hate it when I type a direction and the code stops me "for my own good."  I don't need a babysitter.  I certainly don't need Ginka to be my babysitter.  

I hate it when I try to go through a gate and they tell me to dismount first.  I hate it when I try to go through a gate and fail because I don't have any change in my inventory to pay my water tax, so I have to stop, get the coins out of their container, and then try again.

Quote> e

Icky.  Typing "e resist" is much harder than typing "e".  

It is even worse if you use a client like Zmud that uses the number pad as a direction pad, so you usually don't actually type "e" at all.  

It would be good if this choice only popped up when you were wanted, or were doing something that would cause you to become wanted.  But if it pops up every single time you go through the gates it would suck.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

the word nosave is so damn confusing.
can't we change it to resist?

resist on -> you fend for yourself
resist off -> you give in
A foreign presence contacts your mind.