Mild Annoyances

Started by Vesperas, March 10, 2006, 09:04:02 PM

We all have them.... those things in the game that just make up angry for no particular reason (well actually, there may be a reason), but we just can't do anything about them.

For me, its when player(s) [singular, most likely] shamelessly find an extremely expensive area-specific item, totes it in MASS quantities to another area, and sells it to ALL the merchants in the new area.  Okay, this is fine a great and all.. except now, those merchants have no money to buy anyone else's shit.  :P  And then the twink skips merrily into the desert to DO IT AGAIN next reboot.

Money-making is great.  I love making money.  Heck, importing items is a great way to RP being a merchant.  But, while roleplaying this type of character (or not roleplaying it), be mindful of unwritten limitations as to how many of whatever you should sell a day/week.  Pleaze. x.x;  Sort of like how Zalathans won't poach a species into extinction just to collect hides, they probably won't crash their own market.

While this sucks, I don't personally see it as unrealistic at all or unreasonable for someone out to make some 'sids to do.

It does suck though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Its always better to diversify what you sell, find one or two items and trade with them. I had been guilty of bringing five of an item to trade before, but have since changed my ways if I ever play trading characters. ICly, you wouldn't really think that a merchant would want five of the exact same item,  unless it were VERY highly sought after.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

A very minor peeve of mine is people who constantly use the same term in emotes that they have in their sdescs.

The burly, hazel-eyed man squints his hazel eyes at you.

One of my early "throwaway" characters had "mustachioed" in his sdesc, and I quickly realized that I looked like an idiot every time I actually mentioned my own mustache.

Doesn't really bother me so much as irk me.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I doubt a merchant would want to buy an item all the other merchants have in bulk, either.  They wouldn't really be able to sell it too well.

Its a pet peeve of mine that soldiers/templars randomly stop and search people on the giant streets of the City-States. Whenever I see it, it always kind of jars me.

The mean-looking templar says, pointing at the elf amidst an extremely crowded intersection, "You there! You look suspicious. Let me see that pack! And those boots! And those gloves! And those bracers! And that hat!"

hey, SOMEBODY's gotta get picked on.  XD

The mean-looking templar says, pointing at the elf amidst an extremely crowded intersection, "You there! You look suspicious. Let me see that pack! And those boots! And those gloves! And those bracers! And that hat!"

Allanaki templars are trained from birth to watch out for suspicious hats.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Its a pet peeve of mine that soldiers/templars randomly stop and search people on the giant streets of the City-States. Whenever I see it, it always kind of jars me.

Y'know, I've never seen that.. In point of fact, I'd like to see it, and in decent quantity! Not just elves, or any person with the infamous "dark hooded cloak" on. Really, anyone who is not working for a templar or a house should be fair game. Hunters, foragers, crafters, gemmed magickers, AND elves and and folk in those dark cloaks. Not constantly maybe, but enough to keep people on their toes. Grab the pack, rummage around, have that scary guard pat down the victim's cloak? And should something 'suspect' actually be found, I don't think instadeath should be the unavoidable end result, maybe the templar can wave that spice joint in front of the poor sots nose and negotiate their life for info, etc, after dragging them off for interrogation...

Ahem..  :oops:  Apologies for the derail.. Back on. I admit being occasionally guilty of selling out 5 items in the past. And it is annoying to find that someone has sucked down a merchants entire stash of 'sid on a few expensive items. Yeah, it might be sought after, but even though code doesn't support this, it doesn't make sense that a smart merchant would spend their last 'sid on a certain type of valuable product, when the next person walking in could have something even more rare. ie, someone comes in selling exquisite ivory and crystal jeweled daggers, drain the merchant dry. The next person comes in, has one shining steel sword. But this poor blubbering merchant can't buy it because they have 5 coins left and a handful of now unimpressive works.. And has to ask them to come back tomorrow to sell the steel sword. Ick.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Its not so much that they do randomly check people, just that those people are always PC's picked out of a huge number of people on a busy street. Just seems kinda... meh... to me.

Quote from: "Vesperas"For me, its when player(s) [singular, most likely] shamelessly find an extremely expensive area-specific item, totes it in MASS quantities to another area, and sells it to ALL the merchants in the new area.  Okay, this is fine a great and all.. except now, those merchants have no money to buy anyone else's shit.  :P  And then the twink skips merrily into the desert to DO IT AGAIN next reboot.

I agree with you Vesperas.  While I think it's cool and realistic to cut down trees in Grey and sell those logs in Allanak or to harvest obsidian in the sands and hall it up to Tuluk, I don't think it's cool when players buy items in one part of the city and sell them in another part for more money.  I know people who make a killing using this tactic and people who do it consistently with each character they create, regardless of that characters background and desires.  Not all characters are merchants.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Anonymous"Its not so much that they do randomly check people, just that those people are always PC's picked out of a huge number of people on a busy street. Just seems kinda... meh... to me.

Virtual templars are doing the same thing to the virtual people all the time. I know this because my virtual best friend was complaining about it. Trust me, things are MUCH worse on Virtual Armageddon.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Aldiel"
I don't think it's cool when players buy items in one part of the city and sell them in another part for more money.  I know people who make a killing using this tactic and people who do it consistently with each character they create, regardless of that characters background and desires.  Not all characters are merchants.

In the same city?  I'd bug that.  You shouldn't be able to buy and sell an item for significant profit (and no risk) within a single city.  Unless you are have totally maxxed haggle skill, maybe.  When I found an item that can be traded that way within the the city I bugged it, and sure enough after the next Saturday the price was adjusted.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'm not opposed to inter-city trade.  However, I'd like to see it done in a reasonable fashion -- if you really are a merchant, you'd be securing more than one product to take with you, and you'd be haggling for the best deals (amongst the PCs!).  You wouldn't find the easiest-to-carry item, sell it to the NPCs, and leave.

As for templars randomly pointing out people on the street... I don't think templars are mean enough anyway, except when they get into plots. :P  And don't wear suspicious hats.

Selling 5 of one thing?  I've done it, but am not proud of it.  Now, it's usually one or two of a few different things.  That leaves things available for others.

Draining the merchant's cash stores?  It happens.  It sucks, but that's just they way it is.  They'll have more money before the next reboot, so don't worry.  Just come back later, after they've actually sold something either codedly or virtually.  Also, if the merchant has something you'd like, buy it first and increase the funds s/he has to pay you for the thing you're going to then sell to him.  Hell, you can also trade item for item, though I find this way of doing things a bit annoying...you can't really haggle, it's straight trade, so I just buy and then sell when I have the actual haggle skill.

Editted to add: Oh, yeah, and about Templars?  Yeah, the virtual Templars take care of the virtual people...the NPC Templars take care of the NPCs...the PC Templars harass the PCs.  Fair enough for me.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

We can barter for items?

Sweet. :P

What is the syntax to trade one item for another?

offer (your item) (their item)
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yeah, like the guy that might be numbers said...

You can also use numerical syntax...

offer earring #3

That sort of thing.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I was just suffering from the worst case of lag in ages.
Then I looked up and found out my mud client has a pause button!
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Another one would be the anon kanks with attitude. It really doesn't mean anything to me if some joe schmoe sends me a letter to my house telling me they hate me and I have the worst ideas ever. It does mean a lot more if some guy I barely know write a letter to my house telling me how much he hates my ideas and how he hates me more than donuts.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I was just suffering from the worst case of lag in ages.
Then I looked up and found out my mud client has a pause button!

Who programmed a PAUSE button on a MUD client?

Like, what, you're afraid you're little sister will come and read your screen while you get up to go to the bathroom and see you've been mudsexxing? :P

It's for if there's scroll and you're trying to read something.

Oooh, guess that is nice.

I use Portal, which separates the window into two halves when I'm scrolling back, so I can still watch for new input.