You suffer from use of the Way. Your vision goes black.

Started by Fragmented, March 10, 2006, 12:34:57 AM

Okay,

I'll admit I'm posting this right now because with the character I'm playing now, this seems to happen all too often. However, I still think it's a problem. I think your message should not go through and/or your contact with a person be ceased at -1- stun. I see it sort of like trying to strangle yourself to death with your bare hands. It's impossible, because when you finally pass out, you start breathing.

I think the mind would shut down a connection -before- your conciousness shut down, instinctively. Not only would this stop the annoying habit of having to try and squeeze in that last way because you're burning the stun just as fast as you can regenerate it, but I think it'd save alot of newbies too. Honestly, when I first started playing here, I almost quit the first time I passed out in a tavern, because I was robbed blind.

Considering how powerful the contact skill is, and how many scenarios that it takes away from the game world, I'm glad that there's at least one danger associated with its use.

As for the newbie issue, I imagine that there are a LOT of new players who come to this mud, get killed or taken advantage of immediately with their first character, and then are never heard from again.  While this isn't good, I doubt there are many people who would care to see the entire game watered down just so it doesn't happen.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Considering how powerful the contact skill is, and how many scenarios that it takes away from the game world, I'm glad that there's at least one danger associated with its use.

What type of scenarios does telepathy take away from the game world?

Realistically what Fragmented suggested makes sense.  And if you think about it, in a world where people can willingly make themselves unconscious with mere thoughts, then we must conclude that such notions as torture are a rare phenomenon on Zalanthas, existing only in such circles as those who can control your use of telepathy.  If someone wanted to get me to talk by trying to yank out my fingernails or any other disgusting torturous act, I'd just use the Way to make myself unconscious.  Only those rare few with the power to stop me from doing so could ever be successful torturists.

I think it makes sense for the body's natural defense mechanism to work in such a manner that it stops you from passing out so easily.  I don't think it would take away the "harshness" or the world if, when trying to send a message with only 15 stun left, I am prompted with: '>You don't have enough capacity to send your thoughts' rather than simply passing out for 30+ (real) minutes.  It's the latter situation over the former which, I think, takes something away from the game (sitting around unconscious for 30-45 minutes doesn't really add a whole lot to the game world in my opinion.)

I have to say, Slippers makes a very, very good point.

Edited to add that I think that while contact/psi should not make someone fall unconcious, that "suffering from use of the way" by maintaining a barrier, or contact with someone and then going to 0 should still render someone unconcious.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

What kind of scenarios does it take away from the game ?

Well, it takes the whole world of Zalanthas and turns it into 10-15 rooms, to be more precise the amount of rooms in which there are currently PCs at. Meaning, it allows your character to skip through all the traveling, preparation, use of messengers, coded scrolls, vulnerability to being overhead (easilly) and just have a super duper private conversation from one Sorcerer King to another. You cant even torture a person without demanding them to contact your mind first, or otherwise you'll fear they're reporting you to the militia RIGHT THIS MOMENT.

So yes, I'm in full support to having atleast a minor amount of danger or discomfort to using the way. From risking a loss of consciousness, to needing to slow down, take a seat, set the camp, and so on.

You've never pushed yourself too far in real life and regretted it later?  I think things are fine the way they are.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Oh, and just to note, Pantoufle...noone can prevent you from using the Way to put yourself unconscious unless they can prevent your character from having any conscious thought...at which point, torture is moot, as they'll just force you to tell them what they want to know anyway.

Also, I'd consider knocking yourself out through the Way something that would be an extreme case.  If you wanted to do such, you should be emoting plenty while attempting this, showing that you are putting forth effort.  It can't feel good to almost knock yourself out with a brain hemmorage, so you'd probably gives signs of this for people to react to.

Editted to add: The amount of suffering you're putting yourself in by knocking yourself out via use of the Way is probably just as painful as any torture that a torturer would inflict upon you.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Knocking yourself out with the Way during torture seems like a risky gambit.  Your captors might just kill you out of frustration.

Or just use the smelling salts they keep handy to wake up people who pass out during torture, and pick back up where they left off.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Or just use the smelling salts they keep handy to wake up people who pass out during torture, and pick back up where they left off.
Heheheh.  I like this solution.

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Or just use the smelling salts they keep handy to wake up people who pass out during torture, and pick back up where they left off.

wont stop em from knocking themselves out 'again' I dont think.

Won't stop them from re-re-waking you.
 n
[Near]
The lauramarsian, female human is standing here, patiently.

You think:
 "She almost makes it too easy..."

This post was most likely written by a belligerent drunk, please chase with salt.

Sounds more like crying then anything else.  I personally think it is great the way it is.
So what if you passed out, don't push yourself that hard.  All  things are hard in the
beginning.  I see it more as a learning experience.  You try and push out that way and
you get knocked out and robbed for it, hey you just learned something.  Take time
with the way, if you push it to hard and you get bit for it then at least you know what
not to do next time eh?  And as far as the mind in real life not reacting this way or
having safeties so as not to fall unconscious.  Unless you are telepath or have telepathic
friends, I don't think you would ever really know the strain or effects it would have on
the brain or in fact that the brain would have such safeties.  

just my two coins