New Skill Idea

Started by Maybe42or54, March 05, 2006, 07:38:04 PM

Over my time at Armageddon, I have noticed quite a few things that only differ from another thing by paint, or a couple feathers and some color. Why can't we decorate our items in our lives?

help skill decorate

You can decorate items such as weapons, armor, clothing, and instruments with feathers, paint, blood, chalk, and other things. Decorating an item tags a description onto the targeted item's Mdesc. This is used by many people to make their weapons look more impressive to others viewing the weapon. This can be used by bards to make a normal sword into a powerful story telling device, while used by tribals to make their weapons fiercer. Decorating your item is not a permanent fix, your decorations will disappear as time goes on, so keep them look nice!

Examples:

craft axe feather feather feather feather

>You can make a feathered throwing axe from that.

craft axe feather feather feather feather into feathered throwing axe.

You tie the feathers onto the hilt of the axe.

L axe

This is a sharp agate throwing axe.
It has been decorated by adding a few feathers to the hilt.

craft axe paint
>You can make an axe decorated with painted circles from that.
>You can make an axe decorated with stripes from that.
>You can make a self styled design.

craft axe into a self styled design

Now entering Editor:
(Remember: Be realistic in your design, no intricate city designs on a knife hilt. Maximum length for your own design is 80 characters.)

What do you think?

Editted to combine words and make sentences more understandable.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Oh and the paint/chalk/blood could fade over time much like how "scribble" works.

Feathers would fade over time by the last sentence going from "a few feathers" to "a couple feathers" to "one feather" to not being decorated.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think this is a very good idea, but I see it done differently.  First of all, using the crafting system for this is very impractical since I don't think it's really suitable for this, especially if we want to customize the objects.

I'd like to see any objects being given a shortish description for their individual state - a sword could have something scratched onto it, an armor could have some sigil on its back, a cloak could have a small tear, a hat could be tilted at a rakish angle, and so on and so forth.

It sounds a little complex to code, but I think it would add a whole other dimension to the game.  You look at someone and see what they're wearing, but if you want you can REALLY scrutinize them, which also takes longer.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I love this idea.

Any day one Bynner can take the same white bone breastplate worn by everyone else in the unit and, with the blood of his enemies and a little creative design, turn it into 'a white bone breastplate with smeared red streaks' is a proud day for that Bynner!

I like the idea of the original poster for how this worked, except one thing. I don't think all mods should fade. If you tie some feathers onto the hilt of your sword, they may get old, dirty, bloody, and worn, but they should still be there. So, if you do a mod with feathers, etchings, and what have you it should remain whereas the Bynner's plate would be back to normal after a few ig weeks of slow fading process.

>This breastplate is decorated with vibrant diagonal streaks of paint.
>This breastplate is decorated with fading diagonal streaks of paint.
>This breastplate is decorated with cracked diagonal streaks of paint.
>This breastplate is decorated with random specks of chipped paint in no discernable pattern.

Who knows, perhaps this skill could make the House Servant subguild appealing to characters other than Atrium students and Aids.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I'd definitely like to see something similar to this implemented. It'd be really cool.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Crafting...would require SO many recipes and objects to be made.  It should work where it adds tags similarly to Jack's opinion on how it could work.  I'm also leaning towards saying this shouldn't be a skill too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

That is how I wanted it to be implemented, where it would just add a tag onto the Mdesc of the item, possibly the SDESC also. I also believe that this is a skill everyone should recieve.

Once it is abused by a player, the skill can be taken away from them until that player is deemed "More responsible."

I think this is a good idea, but the abuse aspect is what stresses me.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Abuse?  People would abuse it how?  Put paint all over everything?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

They would add their initials to things ?

It's the self styled design that begs for abuse.  I don't really know if I need to go into how it could be abused... all the same ways that scribble could be.

If we make some sort of a check for it, it's another thing that the staffers might want/have to monitor... which makes more work for them, less plot support for us.  I think this is a great idea, and I would love to see it, but perhaps without the self styled option.  Kind of like weapon tattoos.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I think the possibilities for fun far outweigh the possibilities for twinking, so I'd like to keep it.

I'd be more likely to look at people's equipment if this was implimented.

I would absolutely love this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Just think about it from the crafter's point of view.

You are trapped with a subguild that is capped low. With your maxxed skills you can make just a tiny fraction of what a master can. Now, when you add in this skill, you could possibly go from only being able to make 7 things to being able to make 7 things and then painting them to make an amount that is only really capped by your imagination and the laws and reality of Armageddon.

I think this idea could bring even more color to the world.

- Matt.

Anything that adds color the the world, I'm for.  :P

*thumbs up*
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*