mali: deathdesc

Started by Lazloth, February 26, 2006, 02:32:05 PM

(Derailing here, don't want to clutter Vanth's thread)

What do you mean?  How would the victim have any sort of idea how he'd died in advance (or do you mean after the act)?  What happens when the body is beheaded post-carcass?  Shouldn't the killer have greater "rights" to setting the ldesc of the corpse?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote(Derailing here, don't want to clutter Vanth's thread)

What do you mean? How would the victim have any sort of idea how he'd died in advance (or do you mean after the act)? What happens when the body is beheaded post-carcass? Shouldn't the killer have greater "rights" to setting the ldesc of the corpse?

All good points, let me try to put more of my idea down.  I'm still a bit rattled by this whole 'no mudding' thing, and not totally coherent.

When you croak, and you get booted to that famous face, and you've got your Welcome to ArmageddonMUD on, there would be an option prompted to you:
---
Your character has just died.  As a trusted player, you are allowed to adjust your deathdesc at this time.  Be very careful with this ability as to avoid IC references that would not be easily discovered by the casual observer.
For your deathdesc, please use @ as your body's position within the deathdesc, you have a maximum of 180 characters (or whatever the actual max is).  You have one minute to place in your deathdesc before this option is automatically closed, and your deathdesc reverts to the standard.  Please include nothing about your character's head, as they may have been beheaded for RP purposes.
---

If the murdering player is going to adjust your deathdesc after that, or some other player, then so be it.  But this gives a 'window' in which to input some idea, and *most* murderers are too preoccupied with either a victory dance or looting the body within the first minute after death.

Edited to add:
Avoid deathdescs that involve the head.  Beheading would be treated as normal, I suppose.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

And what if you were asleep when you were murdered with absolutely no clue as to who killed you and the method they used?  I posted a thread about this exact idea a looooong time ago.  I've revised my thoughts since then and I think that the killer should indeed set the death description.

Interesting idea.

In your framework, I'd almost rather you affect your corpse's mdesc than ldesc.. only because the killer might have other designs in mind (this assuming the death was a PK), but haven't really thought through the whole thing.

On the other hand, I'm pining for some sort of ability to examine a corpse (boosted by skill or subguild I guess) to determine likely cause of death/whether it's been moved/etc., and could see where a custom d3thdesc might collide there.
--
Crumpled in the sand
There lays ampersand alone
Arms removed, headless.

(Oops, wrong thread!)
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

The killer CAN set the deathdesc anytime they want.

get corpse
drop corpse Obviously murdered in some horrible fashion by BOB, here lays the dust covered remains of @!

And as I mentioned before, this would be almost like a karma rank thing.  Trusted players only.  One facet of this trust would be the idea that, if the player had no idea, and the character had no idea, then no idea should be put forth that would be OOC.

two examples for death during sleep/by surprise
With a surprised look on his face, here lays the dessicated remains of @
With but a single puncture wound on the side, @ is splayed out here in a macabre pose.
Looking very inviting to any potential necrophile, @ beckons with spread legs.
-Reiloth

QuoteLooking very inviting to any potential necrophile, @ beckons with spread legs.

For some reason...I feel very compelled to use this...
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I'm against this.  First of all, this seems to me a feature that would be abused more often than not.  When people are PK'd, they're usually upset, especially in the first few minutes.

The person who got killed would have serious trouble coming up with any good description within one minute, while the adrenaline is still strong, especially seeing as they can't tell whether they'll be beheaded, dismembered, burnt or liquified.

I'd prefer people in the same room with the body would be able to set a description, that would need a quick approval/rejection from the staff.

Killer's POV:
You stab the Man's body.
The Man crumples to the ground.

> corpsedesc body Multiple oozing stab wounds riddle this ruin of a human, set in a wavy pattern.
Pending approval, the Man's deathdesc is: Multiple oozing stab wounds....
[To room] The Man's deathdesc is accepted.

Staffer's POV:
Halaster: Hahaha I'm going to loose Krathi mekillots in that Bynner RPT tomorrow.  Guarding the lumberjacks, eh?  They don't know what they've got coming.
Naiona: Dibs on the brainz!
Halaster: You wish.
Naiona: Oh yeah?  Well, I'm killing off all of your clan's PCs!
Halaster: Pfft I already killed them last night!
Naiona: Damnit!
***Dood (Account D00d) killed Manly (Account B00b).
Naiona: Fine, but I'm eating these brainz and there's nothing you can do to stop me!
Halaster: Alright, but I get dibs on the mul jhunter has been special apping for the past two RL years.
Naiona: Grr.  I spent two months writing a custom brain for that one!
***Dood (Account D00d) requests a deathdesc to Manly's corpse: Multiple oozing stab wounds....
> approve corpsedesc.
> immtalk off
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Malifaxis"You have one minute to place in your deathdesc before this option is automatically closed, and your deathdesc reverts to the standard.

Eh? There are times where it takes me at least three minutes to come up with my next emote. Don't you think the time should be extended somewhat?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Seriously, I don't stop yelling for half an hour. How would I ever get something worthwhile in 1 minute?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Sorrily I believe the right should be given to the killer I believe. It's not about abuse or something.. Just... if the killer can lift the corpse he will 99% of all the time will already set a ldesc for the corpse, it's fun. If there was a command which lets me set the ldesc of the corpses I cannot lift, I would set a ldesc for all I have killed - err, which are at most 5 or so :).
I would even like to be able to write a custom mdesc for the corpses I claim. Still, I don't know, I don't have much to say about this subject. All of my chars were conservative even about other people's lives and they decided to leave folks alive before him if possible.

Note: (Though the current char should kill a few, if I don't play the exception and.. I hate exceptions.)
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Alright, just to clarify, though I don't know how I made myself unclear, I am totally happy with the murderers doing deathdescs... it's just that I have seen them RARELY in game when it's not me or one of like 3 other people that are killing folks.

Ahhhhhh, the memories of a certain late night massacre in the 'rinth and a couple of radically different HG buddies... anyhow.

How about this NEW idea!!

change ddesc (target) (message)
Works with the change ldesc feature, kinda, or works like it.  It would briefly 'port' the item into your inventory for the amount of time that the command is operative (so under a second, at which point it would be immediately dropped, risking no save/dupe bug/features)

Depending on how the Grandez Staffrez wish it to be, it could either do a check on the item to make sure it's a corpse, or it could work for any item (that's how I'd prefer it, so you can change the desc of a bed or some such.)
-Reiloth

Cengihz, what happens when you get killed by an NPC and they wouldn't reset your desc, hmm?  Obviously, an alive player is going to have preference because they can manipulate the body, but the option should at least be there (imo).
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]