RE: vanths thread

Started by X-D, February 25, 2006, 09:02:20 PM

I did not want to derail the thread.
But LauraMars has a wish of auto-tattoo when you pick tuluk as a starting location.

I would like to point out that not every PC who starts in a place is actually FROM that place.

Also, it is Custom, not law.

Also, PC templars already have the ability to give you the tats for free.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It now gives you the option to have them added when you pick Tuluk. So you can put them on if you are tuluk citizen and born in tuluk. Or pick one if you are only one, or the other. Or none if you are neither. Or... no thats it.

Quote from: "X-D"I would like to point out that not every PC who starts in a place is actually FROM that place.
I think that's somewhat of a cop-out.  If you point to one of the primary city-states, you enter the game considered a citizen of that place (which I believe carries some benefit).  If the game were to auto-brand you with tattoos then (much like with accents), you have some ability to interact with the immortal base for tweaks that match your background.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quotewhich I believe carries some benefit

I'm almost positive there is a small, but important, difference in the crim-code for citizens and non.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "X-D"Also, it is Custom, not law.

It's so utterly rare to be a Tuluki citizen without tattoos that it should require a special app.

If you want to be "northern" without being from Tuluk, pick Luirs Outpost as your starting point.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

The roolz say no commenting on other peepz ideas.  Simmah, XD.  This discussion has been had many times before.

p.s. Really, numbers?  It's fixed??  HAPPY DAY!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

As someone posted above, I changed the starting location for Tuluk about a week or so ago. Now folks who point to Tuluk are sent to a tattooist, who will give your PC the appropriate tattoos, if your character should have them. If your character is not from Tuluk, then you don't have to get them.

Also, it is Custom, not law.

I'd like to point out that in many places (the city-states included), oftentimes, custom IS law. Being properly marked is how Tuluki's know how to 'handle' one another. If you aren't marked properly, then as far as the Law is concerned, you probably aren't a Tuluki. Hense, it in a citizens best interests to make sure that they and their family are properly marked with their caste and citizenship tattoos, as being properly marked can mean the difference between a polite conversation and a sudden and permanent dissappearance.

It should be noted that once you leave the tattoo room, you're done. The only way to get the proper tattoos is, as someone stated, to go to a Templar, and ask. It should also be noted that picking tattoos when your character shouldn't be getting them (ie: your character is a nomadic tribal and just picked Tuluk as a good starting point; your character was born in Allanak, and moved to Tuluk recently; etc.) would be kind of twinky metagaming, and if found the tattoos will be removed and Bad Things(tm) will be put in your account notes.

However, its perfectly feasable to get caste tattoos in-game. Partisans and employees can get House affiliation tattoos, and it might even be possible for non-citizens to become citizens...you just have to go through a Templar to do it. Think of it like going to your priest for your first communion, or your rabbi for your bris.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"It should be noted that once you leave the tattoo room, you're done. The only way to get the proper tattoos is, as someone stated, to go to a Templar, and ask.
As an aside, from the perspective of the game, this isn't accurate.  There's a tattooist who sells caste tattoos [in RED SUN COMMONS, to all of you who think the area has no use], and it sounds like you'll want to yank him.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

It's already been taken care of, heh.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"It's already been taken care of, heh.
*sniff* One of my favorite submissions; he always knew he was a stopgap.

Was going to post a reply, but I think I'll put it in Vanth's thread instead.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job