New Player GDB Forum.

Started by LoD, February 17, 2006, 12:23:29 PM

I promote myself to be the Newbie King.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I am often surprised (and disappointed) by some of the responses people post to newbie questions.  It's not just the snide ones, but the wrong answers that are supposed to be funny, the off-topic crap, and all the otherwise unhelpful noise.  I'm not sure that it's a fixable problem, though.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I don't think a New Player Discussion forum or anything would make much of a difference. I've stated it many times in the past, and I'm still constantly irritated by the stances people take towards newbies on the boards. Or just to each other on the boards. If experienced players could just hold their breath and not type that unnecessary, unhelpful post, this sort of thing wouldn't be an issue. If a poster, newbie or not, is especially annoying, just don't read their posts. It's really not that hard.

Anyway, what I really mean is that renaming the board will just make it all the more nasty when people go ahead and trash talk newbies on a forum they thought would be safe for them to ask a question on.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I don't think a New Player Discussion forum or anything would make much of a difference. I've stated it many times in the past, and I'm still constantly irritated by the stances people take towards newbies on the boards. Or just to each other on the boards. If experienced players could just hold their breath and not type that unnecessary, unhelpful post, this sort of thing wouldn't be an issue. If a poster, newbie or not, is especially annoying, just don't read their posts. It's really not that hard.

Anyway, what I really mean is that renaming the board will just make it all the more nasty when people go ahead and trash talk newbies on a forum they thought would be safe for them to ask a question on.

Yes, but there are some jerks on the GDB, and telling them to stop doing it tends to only encourage them in my experience. Maybe we should have like a point thing.... like if you flame more than three times on the GDB you can't use it anymore. So say a IMM saw someone flaming... all they would need to do is click a link on the side which says "Add flaming point"...three of those... you're out! wouldn't take much just a few scripted triggers, and simple HTML.

A couple people have had their GDB priveleges revoked.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"A couple people have had their GDB priveleges revoked.
True, but this system would be better. It would stop people flaming in the first place.

You can't make people stop flaming.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.