Walk Tun

Started by Aldiel, February 13, 2006, 05:46:12 PM

What about this idea:

walk tun
The blond, scar-faced man walks over to the large, agafari tun.

If this doesn't work because walk is another command, you could use: go tun, or something like that.

This would be one of those coded emotes like nod, kiss, or hug.  Not that I use them that often, but they are helpful for those moments when you've been playing Arm so long that all the words on the client have coalesced into long, white blobs.

This is just a little thing, but I think it'd be really helpful.  If this already exists and I'm making an ass of myself, woot, how do I do it?
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Oh.

A SOCIAL.

-Armageddon is all about removing the socials to make it more dynamic with the emote system
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

em walks over to ~tun

I don't think it's much longer  :twisted:

These commands are called Socials.
I'm personally not keen about having any of them, except 'nod'.  Sorry, but I don't see how this will help the game.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I often use "twiddle," actually.  However, I think the time for adding socials is SO 1993.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

No, thank you.  It's not that hard to type it out and it doesn't take very long.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Thats almost as bad as asking for look to be part of wake.

*shakes head in shame*
your mother is an elf.

In zMUD:

1) Click on aliases.

2) Under "alias name," enter "pwalk."

3) Under "alias commands," enter "emote walks up to ~%1."

All set. Now just use "pwalk" as you would use any other social.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

QuoteOhhhhhh... SNAP!
-Ling Ling, Drawn Together
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Morfeus"em walks over to ~tun

I don't think it's much longer  :twisted:

Actually you would surprised how cumbersome those three little words can be.  Socials?  Cool, I didn't know that.  No, I'm not keen at using these either.  Actually, I don't remember the last time I used a "social." But I like to emote everytime I move about the room even if somtimes it is a rather trivial matter.  For example, I stand up from my cot to get an armor brush from my trunk to just sit back down on my cot again.  What I was thinking something like this would do is stop people from going: stand/open trunk/get brush trunk/close trunk/sit. (Not that I do this.) And yes, for the majority of the time I emote in detail how I strode there and back, but there are times when being brief is not a terrible sin.  

Quote from: "moofassa"Thats almost as bad as asking for look to be part of wake.

*shakes head in shame*

Lines like this are not helpful.  Please assume first that people who post on this forum are experience players before you go about assuming they are not.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Um.. You're a helper which obviously involves you having been around long enough to earn the trust of the Staff.
I can't even see a splinter of a word that hints at my calling you a new player. I was simply stating the very simple fact, that it really isn't that cumbersome to type the emote out.

Stop picking on Moofassa.
your mother is an elf.

Hehe
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

what are our current socials?

nod, kiss, twiddle, hug, smile....

ELIMINATE THEM ALL.  :twisted:
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I have to agree with Manhattan on this one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Manhattan"what are our current socials?

nod, kiss, twiddle, hug, smile....

ELIMINATE THEM ALL.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I have to agree with Manhattan on this one.

I have to disagree.

There are some socials that -need- to be in place.  The top 20 canned emotes.  You will still have newbies who, while learning, will only use those.

Look out for the little ones, won't you?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I dunno...

It could be included in the quickstart that there are no socials.  We could include 'help social' or 'help socials' that on most muds would give a list of the socials...but here it could simply say, "No.  There are no socials.  See 'help emote'.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

*watches newbies fleeing the scene*

I'm with mansa on this one.

Theres no real point to eliminating them. The most that I think should be done, is to not add more.
your mother is an elf.

The set of 'social' commands are generally used to express some emotionor perform some gesture. A fairly comprehensive (but not necessarily complete) list of these commands is provided below.

That's ghetto.  If socials were made to help newbies, why isn't the fucking list COMPLETE?

I still say eliminate

QuoteSocials                                                     (Communication)

The set of 'social' commands are generally used to express some emotion
or perform some gesture. Under certain circumstances, some may have other
applications as well. A fairly comprehensive (but not necessarily complete)
list of these commands is provided below.
  Please note that you are highly encouraged to develop your own personal
idioms and gestures, rather than relying solely on the 'standard socials.'
The emote and pemote commands make a nearly unlimited range of mannerisms,
expressions, and actions possible. For those you wish to employ frequently,
repetition may be facilitated through use of the alias command.

bite         chuckle      cough        cringe       frown
  giggle       grin         hug          insult       kiss
  laugh        nod          shake        shrug        sigh       smile
  snicker      spit         wave         whistle      wink       yawn

Note:
  On Armageddon MUD, many of the standard socials have been removed, to
encourage players to create their own gestures through use of the emote and
pemote command.

Examples:
  > shake
  You shake your head.

> shake bram
  You shake his hand.

See also:
  alias, emote, pemote
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Manhattan"The set of 'social' commands are generally used to express some emotionor perform some gesture. A fairly comprehensive (but not necessarily complete) list of these commands is provided below.

That's ghetto.  If socials were made to help newbies, why isn't the fucking list COMPLETE?

I still say eliminate

Here's a hint, Manhattan.  Sometimes, certain socials used, in certain situations, will produce a SPECIAL thing.  SECRET!  SECRET!

Like if you type "kiss halaster", something special happens.

>twiddle
You twiddle your thumbs.

Twiddle isn't on the social list.  Poor newbies.

I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but since I'm a half-giant, that's only to be expected.

If this social was implimented, then all it would mean was that every boring asshole in the game would type "walk bar" before they proceeded to type "sit bar."

And I would violently kill someone.  In fact, just the thought of it has caused me to do so already.

Please take more care when suggesting ideas.  You have innocent bystanders to think about.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but since I'm a half-giant, that's only to be expected.

If this social was implimented, then all it would mean was that every boring asshole in the game would type "walk bar" before they proceeded to type "sit bar."

And I would violently kill someone.  In fact, just the thought of it has caused me to do so already.

Please take more care when suggesting ideas.  You have innocent bystanders to think about.

I was not suggesting it for that sort of use.  I was simply referencing the fact that showing your location in the room is one of those things that you can't brief.  For example: even if you were rushed for time, you would have to perform the following commands when eating a steak if you were trying to be civil:  
ask cook steak/em walks over to ~table/sit table/draw knife/(em uses ~knife to cut up ~steak, this could be optional, but I'd include it)/sheathe knife/get fork cloak/wield fork/(here you could do an emote about him using the fork to eat the cut pieces of meat, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary when pressed for time)/eat steak/eat steak/put fork cloak.
This is what I don't want to see when people are trying to be brief:
ask cook steak/sit table/eat steak/eat steak
What I was thinking a simple "social" like this would do is make my –rare- briefing less painful.  That's all.  I could go "walk table" instead of "em walks over to ~table." I was not trying to find a loophole for new players or slacker RPers.  I was not trying to justify the use of socials.  I was tryin g to incease my ability to RP even when I'm rushed or tired.  I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this.  I simply though it would be an very easy thing to code.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Aldiel...you don't have to emote every motion your character makes.

Another solution: Just make slightly longer emotes that are able to include more than one action in it.

Fuck cooking it and cutting it....

grab that slab of bloody meat and tear hunks off with your sharpened teeth. Forks? Knives?.. I don't even think I've seen anyone in the byn using cutlery.. Not that they need to.. but yeah.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Aldiel...you don't have to emote every motion your character makes.

Another solution: Just make slightly longer emotes that are able to include more than one action in it.

It was an example meant to convey how this social would be useful.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I understand that Aldiel, and I stand by my response.  You don't have to use five emotes where one two-line emote is sufficiently flowery enough.  You also don't have to emote every step in detail.  Add flavor...don't turn a short story into a novel.