Crafting

Started by Mental Case, February 05, 2006, 11:45:45 AM

I have been struggling with this idea for awhile now. Should crafting be so easy to lose concentration. So far, we can't contact someone, we can't write or read our bio; we can't change stand, sit, and rest, can't walk, and probably even more.

I agree with the fact that we can't walk, or else we would have crafters running about everywhere, while realistic with some things, it would be impossible with others. Chopping a log while running back to the gates of Tuluk... not so realistic. Carving a small piece of wood, more realistic. However that is not my point, that I think would be a waste of time to code. Because why move if your crafting.

What I think should change is the contacting, sit, stand, rest, and the bio. Everything that is in the realm of ooc such as Bio should not disrupt things in the realm of ic. On the other hand contact can be argued to take too much concentration from your work that you would need to stop, but I think it would be a useful change. It all depends on how you look at the Way to decide on that one. Finally the sitting, standing, and resting change should not so much brake conentration because those are normally innate responses you can make without distracting yourself. Hell I can keep typing on my keyboard and stand up from my chair at the same time....

Just a thought, but I doubt high priority because of its low nuisance to the majority.

I disagree on the contact part. It takes a lot of concentration, IMHO. However, once you find their mind, you should be able to stop crafting long enough to think so that it doesn't skrew you up and continue where you left off.

So, no on contact, yes on Psi. I agree on that ooc shouldn't disrupt IC, makes no sense.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think it's already possible to psi during crafting

It is possible to psi during crafting, but it breaks your concentration.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I rather like it that way.  If you've ever sat down and tried to make something IRL from scratch out of raw materials, it requires a LOT of focus and concentration.  If something interrupts you, you have to stop what you're doing, and then pick up where you left off.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I havn't tested this, but if the original poster is right, entering/changing a bio should not break your concentration -- it is, after all, OOC, I believe.

I think contact/psi should break concentration, since it requires a lot of mental effort, unless you are just really good at it.  It's not the same as chattin' it up with your fellow crafter sitting right next to you.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I rather like it that way.  If you've ever sat down and tried to make something IRL from scratch out of raw materials, it requires a LOT of focus and concentration.  If something interrupts you, you have to stop what you're doing, and then pick up where you left off.

Yea.. but IG you don't pick up from where you started.

If it was changed so psi didn't break your concentration on crafting, it would be like you stopped then picked up where you left off. Since psi'ing takes less then a second IG and long enough to type it out OOC.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Maybe not codedly, but you can easily just pretend that you're picking up where you left off.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Having a conversation while trying to craft something could take up to an hour.

I know, I've done it.

When I am involved in a big design project, it's very difficult for me to concentrate on anything else.  I get totally mesmerized by that bit of paper or that line, and getting it right.  People have come up to me and spoken with me.  I have responded with grunts and not much else.  So I don't mind that moving, talking, or doing whatever else breaks concentration.  It's believable.

That said, it would be nice were there to be some kind of save point implemented for particularily longish crafts, where you could get up and walk away, talk to someone, and then come back to your project, picking up where you left off.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I agree. For me it's realistic you cannot walk or use the Way while crafting. I think crafting needs your whole attention and I honestly like it this way - at least it makes me to add few emotes to what I am doing code-wise.

Err.. maybe I'm an overemoter but... Let's say one of my human merchants is trying to make a desk. He'll possibly use: a woodman's axe, a knife-bladed pick or a woodworking knife, a hammer or something bludgeoning to use as a hammer, a rasp or sandpaper, and a jar of polishing paste. I would also use a saw too, if my character had time to find one. These added to the ingredients of the desk, it's impossible to hold all in your inventory with lower than good agility.
I would love to see 'get' and 'put' does not break your concentration so I can put tools on and get tools from my workdesk or toolbelt. With the current code I often get forced to emote "grasps a thick baobab club from ~shelves and hammers the wooden nails he carved to assemble the legs."
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Having a conversation while trying to craft something could take up to an hour.

I know, I've done it.

Try it IRL sometime.  Build a set of shelves, make a chainmail coif, sew a shirt, or bake some cookies.  Then try doing these things while having a conversation with someone else.  Either you take a long time to finish your task, or you take a long time to converse.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Try it IRL sometime.  Build a set of shelves, make a chainmail coif, sew a shirt, or bake some cookies.  Then try doing these things while having a conversation with someone else.  Either you take a long time to finish your task, or you take a long time to converse.

You've never had a conversation with someone while cooking? I do it all the time.

Or have you heard of sewing circles? That's where people get together for the express purpose of sewing and talking at the same time.

Perhaps it would be possible for crafting skills to have difficulty settings, where the more difficult the ability the more restricted you are in what you can do while using the skill.

So someone cooking up some roasted kalans might be able to change position or use the way, but someone involved in crafting a sword or a breastplate would be far more distracted.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Using the Unseen Way is far more difficult than talking, though.

"You suffer from use of the Way."

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

You've never had a conversation with someone while cooking? I do it all the time.

Or have you heard of sewing circles? That's where people get together for the express purpose of sewing and talking at the same time.

Perhaps it would be possible for crafting skills to have difficulty settings, where the more difficult the ability the more restricted you are in what you can do while using the skill.

So someone cooking up some roasted kalans might be able to change position or use the way, but someone involved in crafting a sword or a breastplate would be far more distracted.

I have conversed while cooking, but the conversation took longer due to the fact I had to keep turning my attention to whatever I'm chopping/mixing/cooking, etc.

Have you ever sat around a sewing circle and observed the speed of their conversations?

However, the idea of difficulty settings does sound rather nifty.  I agree that you should be able to sit down while roasting a kalan fruit, without having to start all over again.

Edited to add:  There have been plenty of times where I mudded while I was cooking.  My response times on the mud were significantly slower.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Edited to add:  There have been plenty of times where I mudded while I was cooking.  My response times on the mud were significantly slower.
That's a -little- different, though, unless you've got some human-x10 interface bound to your earrings.  I generally do the cooking at home and am continually conversing either 'cross-room with my spouse, yelling at my kids or blathering on the phone.

(Probably because I don't play many crafters) it's not a big deal for me.  I think allowing 'ooc' commands like bio would make sense, but may not be easily possible depending on how its tied to the game;  I'd wager that using the ingame boards or writing notes would result in the same sort of concentration loss..  Interesting discussion nonetheless.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

So far, I'm in complete agreement with people on the fact that completely OOC commands should not break crafting concentration...however, if you're going into edittor, YOU the player should be concentrating on that...just like if you're crafting, YOU the player should be concentrating on that.  That's just my opinion...I still think it shouldn't codedly break your character's concentration.

As to the Way?  I'm with Delerium.  You SUFFER from use of the Way...you aren't mildly tickled from use of the Way.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.