Helmets.

Started by Cale_Knight, February 04, 2006, 03:56:12 AM

I want big helmets to have the same code that hoods and facewraps have.

The tall male in the massive, braxat-hide greathelm has arrived from the north.

For one, this would stop people from constantly wandering around in huge helmets, which is way sillier than keeping your breastplate on.

But mostly, how much more awesome could this make arena matches?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I'm puzzled. There are already helmets that do that, but they have a specific adjective in their mdesc and ldesc that explains why. Do great helmers have that?

Oh, there are? I've never actually seen them if so.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Greathelms look like this:

It covers the entire head, obscuring the face.

I idea'd this in game.

It was never implemented.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

To be honest, i dislike this out of purely OOC reasons. Basically, a lot of people by stature are required to wear the greatest of great helmets. Does it mean that they all end up having a hidden face now ?

Also, I wonder how many people are courageous enough to remove their helmets and keep it under their armpit, while sitting in a crowded tavern. I also wonder how long will the helmet remain there.

Quote from: "Folker"Also, I wonder how many people are courageous enough to remove their helmets and keep it under their armpit, while sitting in a crowded tavern. I also wonder how long will the helmet remain there.

Two words, friend: holdable items.

I usually bug items that aren't holdable already. Like helmets for example.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

So they can take it off and shove it into their backpack.  Who wants to sit in a tavern with a fucking greathelm on?  They'd have to drink their booze through a straw.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Manhattan"

Two words, friend: holdable items.

I usually bug items that aren't holdable already. Like helmets for example.

Hm, okey. I didnt think about that. Consider me sold.

I like it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yea. If the people of stature are wearing this badass helmet, why are they concerned with how their face looks?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Well, first of all, being of stature does not mean they do not care how their face looks. Infact, they care about it more then those who arent of stature. But that aside, the 'main' concern is now 'how' their face looks, but whether or not if their face can be seen at all.

And if you'll answer why would they be concerned if they can be identified or not by others near them, then ... to be honest I would find it complicated to answer. I personally, am ... concerned that my character would be easilly identified atleast "sometimes". And I probably would be just as concerned, or more so, if my character has some kind of unusual stature.

You can already be identified IG by Pcs, VNPcs, and NPCs when you are wearing that helmet of stature. Why not add that identification OOC?
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"You can already be identified IG by Pcs, VNPcs, and NPCs when you are wearing that helmet of stature. Why not add that identification OOC?

I'm afraid I dont understand you. How would you possibly add an ooc identification to a character ?

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
The tall male in the massive, braxat-hide greathelm has arrived from the north.

That right there is the OOC identification. Our characters already know they don't see his face, but now, the game is telling us, that we don't see his face.

I like the idea. Not a high priority though.
your mother is an elf.

Not a bad idea, maybe with that, someone may create a mysterious pc knight who can fight for justice, freedom.. and while fighting she can rock in uber cool, special great helmet. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Put one of those greathelms on and walk around the freaking desert.

I think that Zalanthan (ian?) [i forget just now] facial armor like that would be rare and extremely uncomfortable.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"Zalanthan (ian?) [i forget just now]
Zalanthan
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Folker"To be honest, i dislike this out of purely OOC reasons. Basically, a lot of people by stature are required to wear the greatest of great helmets. Does it mean that they all end up having a hidden face now ?

....if they are wearing a greathelm, that covered their face, their face has been hidden all along. so it SHOULD be implemented that the sdesc change to relate that.

I like this idea as it makes sense and would add not only to realism (reflecting that their face is covered) but also just be cool.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "moab"Put one of those greathelms on and walk around the freaking desert.

I think that Zalanthan (ian?) [i forget just now] facial armor like that would be rare and extremely uncomfortable.

Exactly.  All the more reason for great-helms to change the short desc and point out that wearing a great-helm all the time makes you look like an ass.   :)   There are times when that kind of armor makes sense, perhaps formal or ceremonial occasions and when actually going directly into battle, but most of the time people sitting around in heavy armor look like lunatics.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Also, not all full helmets are great pieces of bone that will cook your head. There are many that are light constructions from boiled leather or what have you, but they still cover the whole face. In fact, most people WOULD have their faces covered out doors, what with sand and wind and all.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes