That New Car Feeling

Started by sarahjc, February 02, 2006, 12:35:36 PM

You walk into the showroom, and you see your new Baby right there! It's all shiny, not a scratch on her... not a mile driven.. It's your first NEW CAR.. Open the door, sit down.. Ahh.. New car smell, you can't wait to drive it off the lot.. Wow.. This is great!

Six cars later.. You still feel great about it.. But it's not your first new car, is it?

So, basically I have been seeing a few things lately over the course of a few PCs that would knock your socks off. Some of these I have seen before, some of it I haven't. Despite what I have seen and have not seen, I always try to play my PC with that "Shock & Awe" new car persona when it comes to anything new and amazing.

I personally may have seen a good deal of stuff over and over again, and it may seem like old soap to me, but my PC has not.  I also try to take into account that the Zalanthan world is mostly ignorant.

Things like a southerner who has never been north before seeing the Grey Forest, or even more amazing, the PUBLIC gardens in Tuluk.  Or a northerner that sees ANYTHING Magick for the first time. These are not as grand as some other super secrete shock and awe things in the game, but for some reason, I see so few people respond to these things with the Amazed view of a person who has –never- seen anything like this before.

So I was wondering, what is your take on this sort of thing? Are you the cool guy that says, "Pff.. a swirling vortex of flames just sucked that elf up.. no biggy. " Or are you the kind that looks over, lets out a shrill scream and bolts from the tavern in a panic?

What do you feel is the proper Rp for odd occurrences, or when your PC finds out something they never knew before?  And do you feel it is easy to loose site of what your PC finds new, when you personally have seen it all before?
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

For magick especially, I play one of three ways.

If I'm playing a Tuluki character, my PC is fearful and hateful of magick.  He doesn't want to go near it.  And most of all, he doesn't want to talk about it, or be talked to about it.  In Tuluk, you speak to the Faithful about magick and that's it, or you disappear.

If I'm playing an Allanaki, my PC is fearful of magick, but not hateful.  Sure I can carry a sword and shield, and kill silt horrors and mekillots without taking a scratch, but meks and horros can't SHOOT FUCKING LIGHTNING BOLTS OUT OF THEIR FINGERTIPS.

If I'm playing a nomad, then my PC thinks magick is just a part of life, and more than likely will believe that he has magick within him.

So I don't tend to play the awe of the unknown, but I do try and play a healthy dose of emotion and rationalization in the context of what society my character is in.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

People are afraid of what they don't understand, no matter where they are from.  They're also afraid of things that are huge and scary and could possibly eat their heads in one bite.  (And I am speaking in terms of your average, everyday Joe Schmoe.)

What sort of reactionl depends on how your PC was raised,
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I think more people should play scream and run types, myself. :)

I recall a situation with my first real PC where a mindbender was doing crazy stuff in a tavern, making people say and do things. A few PCs freaked the fuck out. I mean, really think about that in RL perspective. That is about as scary as it gets. Then, the rest of the people reacted more like "Huh, a mindbender. Guess we should call the templar." It was kind of depressing.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I am pretty off-the-wall.  Even though I haven't been around long enough to become jaded about much yet, it is still the most fun to freak out completely, and I don't see that changing.

Oocly I am shivering with excitement as much as my character.  But, see, I wouldn't run out of the tavern, because duh, I want to stay and see what happens next.  So I rarely bolt.  It would be a frozen in panic type of thing.  Perhaps with one long, unending scream emote or the like.  Collapse in a heap, babble incoherantly, sob.  Start confessing to crimes, or become devoutly religious.

Reacting to psycho things that happen to others is almost as fun as reacting to psycho things that happen to my character.  Indeed, I have the some of the most fun ever in this game, doing that.  

This is why I love psychotic, fucked up things.  Thank you, weird shit.  Thank you, Armageddon.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."