logout command

Started by theebie, January 31, 2006, 09:47:18 AM

how about

> logout theebie

result:
logs out the linkdead / more than 30 minutes (replace 30 with any number that suits you) PC (not yourself, but the one who doesnt
react) if he's in a quit-safe room, or a tavern.

regards, ---theebie---

Quote from: "theebie"how about

> logout theebie

result:
logs out the linkdead / more than 30 minutes (replace 30 with any number that suits you) PC (not yourself, but the one who doesnt
react) if he's in a quit-safe room, or a tavern.

regards, ---theebie---

This would be cool, but as crazy as this sounds from me, should be an option that only karma bearing characters should have.  Reason being that they are trusted enough to have karma, they should be able to boot those link-dead newbs who log in and just close their browsers, leaving their character to stand like a zombie for however long.

Jarod

I wouldn't recommend it.  Forcing an action on another PC should be something only an IMM should do.   I have wished up in the past to log off a ridiculously long netdead character.  They were accommodating  at the time.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "amoeba"I wouldn't recommend it.  Forcing an action on another PC should be something only an IMM should do.   I have wished up in the past to log off a ridiculously long netdead character.  They were accommodating  at the time.

I agree that this should be something only the immortals should do.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Perhaps a better idea would be a way to "flag" a suspected link-dead player.  Then, the immortals could see a list of who is suspected linkdead and log them out as appropriate.

I'd feel more comfortable with a Flag command over an actually boot command for PCs, and it wouldn't hurt to see it set at 1 karma just so raw noobs don't go around flagging everything.

I've never, ever seen a mud where the players could boot someone off the mud, linkdead or not.  Flagging somebody as linkdead might be cool, but there is no way for a player to know for certain unless they actually watch the PC lose link.  If it were an automatic flag that would come up as soon as a person loses link that could work, but some people may find it too jarring to see something like this:

The manly man is standing here.  {Linkdead}
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

But it's also, just as jarring (imho) to saunter up to someone you want to have some kind of confrontation with and not being able to have it, because wouldn't you know it, they're linkdead and you didn't figure that out until you got all up in their grill like a motherfucker.

Flags are a good idea, if they're suitably subtle.  Such as:

The ugly, ugly, ugly man is standing here. [L]
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

having worked on a few muds as a coder, I know that in some of the games I've seen, you could have helper pc's do just exactly what you're talking about, they would say type "issue pcname LD" then it would send a flag up that would pop up to all the staff that would say "Soandsohelper has flagged soandsoplayer =LD"  and that would be displayed when staff logged in, plus it would flash at the time of typing.  Again this was only accessable by folks who were assigned guides or staff of some type.  And then the higher ups would do something ic like.

Goto room invis, then cause room emote "A blue goblin walks over and pokes at soandso saying, "Hey! Buddy!"

wait

If the character didn't respond to such a strange occurance, they would then be booted.

Now I have no clue what code this game runs in, or what the capabilities of the code is.  I just know that thinking in coding the way I know (mostly proprietary and some visual basic) it wouldn't be hard to program this system because I'm sure that every character has some type of userlevel, like regular player is say =1, where helper could =2 and say staff equals 4, 5 depending on storyteller or highlord ect ect.

So if you made this command to check the userlevel of the account typing it, then either blank if not high enough, or fire if high enough.

Then it's simple as just the game engine receiving the command, then firing off a output to all people at staff, and going to a sort of news folder that you would call flags or whatnot.

Dunno if you understand what I'm saying, or if we are even on the same wavelength, but the flagging "I think" would be a simple bit of coding.

Jarod

in a way there is good and bad in that.

First and foremost, if the Imms wanted to allow player characters to fully log off without quitting, they would simply implement an idler timer that would auto log them off after a set period of time of inactivity, linkdead or not.

On the other hand, it is simply annoying to come to a person with whom you want to interact with and find him linkdead. You can still kill him ofcourse, but ... it's just not as fun.

Personally I would rather not have a command that allows players to boot anyone.

Having a notation on the PC like an [L] would be helpful, but I don't know how codedly possible that is or how high on a priority list it would fall. I am not a coder.

However if you notice that Bill the newbie has been sitting in the back of the Gaj dormatory link dead for a few days, you can wish up to the staff and ask for them to be logged out.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I've never, ever seen a mud where the players could boot someone off the mud, linkdead or not.
There are numerous online games (MUDs included) that allow the playerbase to police itself (via votekick and other mechanisms).  Arm's whole approval process and large immortal staff invalidates the need for this concept (idea would be that the established players could temporarily siteban a spammer, or in our context maybe to staunch someone entering the game for the first time as a 'floating severed head' or similar.)

I do kinda wish Puff's Limbo existed and linkdead folks would snap out of sight; seeing someone on the verge of death in an inn .. for days on end .. is not always easy to ignore.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Personally, I wish the game would simply log us out if we go link dead for a half of an hour.  Chances are that if someone isn't back in a half-hour they are not coming back for whatever reason.  If they are still alive, they are likely in a relatively safe spot.  At that point, I would simply rather have them quit then wait around and see if they die in some silly manner.  I don't think a guy who has been link dead for 3 days really adds anything to the game.  A guy who has been link dead for 3 days standing in the same spot is far more disruptive for all parties involved then a guy who auto-quits after half of an hour.

I would give all magikers the ability to log out like rangers while I was at it.

If there is one thing I really dislike about Armageddon, it is what a pain in the ass it can be to log out.  When I had 10 hours a day to blow on video games, this wasn't such an issue.  In a world where my girlfriend could walk in at any time and start demanding my time though, it is just a pain in the ass that keeps me away from certain roles.  

Quitting is an entirely OOC activity.  I can see limiting quitting slightly such that it is not abused by throwing in time delays, but that is about it.  For many people, an uninterrupted hour is a luxury they simply don't have.  This game is very much not-understanding of that.

I agree with the previous post, you shouldn't be able to just type quit then vanish, but say your internet goes out while your standing in the middle of the street, the way it is now, unless someone is nice enough to wish up and there is staff who is available, you're there till you come back.

It should check to see if you're linkdead and initiate some type of timer to kick you out.  And having maybe a "quit now" command that started that timer as well would be nice.  That way say if you really gotta run, RIGHT that moment, you could type quit now, then in say an hour, or half an hour, you character is logged out.

Dunno,

Watcha think?

Jarod