A Polite Request: SAVE ROOMS!

Started by Tamarin, January 27, 2006, 02:21:44 PM

Should we be able to force-save save-rooms?

Yes
28 (80%)
No
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 27, 2006, 02:21:44 PM

Here's the deal.  I want us to be able to force saveable rooms to save themselves.  I'm so tired of losing a whole ton of gear because of crashes.

Who is with me?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I am SO with you, until the end of time.  This has happened to me too.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Would be great, but I think I remember a staffer once said it's not so easy.  Something like you can't save a single room, you have to save the entire zone, which may be a very slow proccess.  *shrug*

Believe me, if it was an easy fix, this would be in.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Would be great, but I think I remember a staffer once said it's not so easy.  Something like you can't save a single room, you have to save the entire zone, which may be a very slow proccess.  *shrug*

That was probably said in a different context.

I think this is a great idea, myself, though then again, if people were able to force rooms to save, they could drop all, save the room, get all, go to another room, drop all again, save the room, re-equip and exploit a bug to crash the MUD in order to duplicate equipment...so maybe saving the entire zone would still be needed.  Heh.

In theory, though, this sounds like a great idea.  I wish all of the rooms could be save rooms, and that they could save custom drop descs as well.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"
Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Would be great, but I think I remember a staffer once said it's not so easy.  Something like you can't save a single room, you have to save the entire zone, which may be a very slow proccess.  *shrug*
That was probably said in a different context.
It wasn't.  The problem IS (since I know a little about how many mud codes work) that you don't save individual rooms, you save zones.

Now let's imagine here for a moment, that players had this power under this current system.  It is VERY possible for 30 different people to be saving all over the mud in different zones or even the same zone, but each person is saving, so everything is saving again and again.  That CAN cause lag which could be quite fatal to our characters.

When there is a way to save just one room of a zone, I'm all for this.  If the coders can't find a way around this problem, I DO NOT want players to have the power to cause save rooms to do so.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Perhaps if apartments were considered their own zone, or were all part of one zone?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Link the save feature to the vnum feature, precisely to the room.  Have a hundred rooms (typically one zone) set aside in a block to deal with the saves.  

When a player saves, it activates the vnum feature, giving a newly assigned vnum to that room.  It duplicates the room to the specified zone, then saves that zone (which should only contain at max probably 10 rooms as 10 people around the mud specifically choose one nanosecond in which to type and enter 'save').  Some sort of a check system could activate on ocassion, and when more than 25 saves had been made, the system could begin rewriting those rooms over the original zones.  Or it could be immediate, if that would be easier.

In the case of multiple characters enterring a force save room (IE: gates of allanak) or being forced to save at the same time, then any queue'd requests are ignored/deleted, and the room is saved only once, saving on lag.

I'm sure it's not this simple, but perhaps this is a route that hasn't been considered?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Sanvean"Believe me, if it was an easy fix, this would be in.

I think this sums up everything, really.
Tlaloc
Legend

Woops...I forgot that this is such a huge problem to code.  My dirty.

Maybe an ooc reminder could be included in the room's description. So at the city gates, for example, after the description of the room, but before the list of who ever is in the room, there could be something similar to what is in tailor shops- [For help, see HELP TAILOR] I think it's something like that anyway. I was thinking just like this:

The town gates [NESW]
There is a road and a big pair of heavy gates made of wood. The rough dirt road continues from the city out into the wildish part out of the gates.
[Please note, if you are leaving the city, save your character]
Soldier #1 stands here.
Soldier #2 stands here.
Soldier #3 stands here.

But for anyone who has brief on, the message wouldn't appear.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I, this is a totally separate issue.  This involves the contents of the room being saved, not what your character is wearing and holding.

Quote from: "Tamarin"I, this is a totally separate issue.  This involves the contents of the room being saved, not what your character is wearing and holding.

I realize that now,I didn't really read through the thread at first, sorry. :oops:
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I use to have a big problem with lost items due to crashes.  These are some rules
I go by myself that have helped me greatly in this situation.  

1.   Always save before removing items from your character.
2.   Never remove items from your character or move items about right before Saturday down time
or right after the mud comes back up. (in general I usally give it a couple hours after the game
comes up to move items about.  Just in case the mud decides to crash soon after it is brought
back up again.)
3.   Take a look at the GDB and see when the last reboot was, personally I like to give it a few
hours after a crash before I start putting items away, or changing gear out.
4.   Try not to move about large amounts of items in a session, I try to brake things up into two or
three sessions if possible, and monitor the stability of the mud during these times. If the mud
has crashed recently don't move stuff, have patiences and wait a bit.
5.   Lastly, after removing stuff from my character or moving items about I always wait twenty minutes
before logging out (I personally go so far as to stay in the same room during this time if I can)
Thus if the system crashes I have a good idea what was moved and what was lost at that time
and can send a mail to my  Clan Imm.