Commoner houses

Started by kelviksson, January 21, 2006, 08:36:43 PM

Quote from: "Jarod550"I agree on some points with the original poster, but to the helpers comment about people "who think outside the box" ending up dead or ignored or whatnot.  I think that's silly.

My name is Cuusardo, thank you.

Try it sometime.  Play a PC that's lived in Allanak all his life, and start telling people that you don't believe that Tektolnes created the world and Allanak, and that Tuluk isn't rightfully property of the Highlord.

Play a tribal with different beliefs than those crazy city folk, and go around Tuluk preaching to people about how wonderful the gifts of the elements are.

Then sit back, and watch what happens to your PC.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Indeed.  Or play a southerner living in Tuluk that hates Muk Utep.  You get the idea I hope--it's just not going to fly.  Your character will either end up dead or wishing he or she was dead.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Not trying to get into arguments, but when I say philosopher, i'm not talking about people going. "I don't think Tektolnes created the world, or is the rightful lord." NO, I'm talking about something like...

(Why is it, that if you come from the rinth', you can never have decent intentions. You will always be a thief. A killer.) This is not the case, but a view that people have, atleast through my 20+ characters.

Question things like history. Why did the dragon leave? I would -love- to see historians dig into the past. Why did the dragon leave his empire? Why would it return to attack Tuluk? Exactelly what races of people were citizens of the empire under the council of kings. Was it just humans? Did the old empire's claim give anyone in it's territory citizenship? Did our social heirarchy come down from the previous empire?

Some of you are taking things to the extreme, and i'm not gonna drag the topic out if it doesn't seem realistic to people. I just think it would be fun IC to have some people have a broader concept. I wouldn't mind playing a character Templars hated for making people think, (no mater how short lived it would turn out)

:wink:
ow much spice do you think you can put in that thing?

<gets two more tubes of spice from his cloak>

...Oh...

#1:  The Labyrinth is a lawless area, filled with crime.  Naturally, everybody who comes from there will be a criminal lowlife.  Your PC might not be, but that is the widely accepted view of what this place and its inhabitants are.  Very few people think differently.

#2: Information is given on a need to know basis, and the templars will tell you what you believe.  Why did the dragon leave?  Because Tek/Muk saved you from it and made it go away.  Why?  Because he's the protector of the city you live in.  What happened before them?  You can try to find out, but you might not like the answers you find.

Tribals would see things differently, and that is all up to the views of the tribe.  In that case, the elders tell you what to believe.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Cuusardo, I might be wrong, but I think Kelviksson threw out those questions as examples of what a Zalanthan "philosopher" might ponder and not for the purpose of getting actual answers.

{edited to add: on a second reading, I guess you were trying to explain why even these sorts of philosophical questions would not exist.}

So, don't mind me! :)
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: "kelviksson"

Question things like history. Why did the dragon leave? I would -love- to see historians dig into the past. Why did the dragon leave his empire? Why would it return to attack Tuluk? Exactelly what races of people were citizens of the empire under the council of kings. Was it just humans? Did the old empire's claim give anyone in it's territory citizenship? Did our social heirarchy come down from the previous empire?

There is a whole NOBLE, unplayable house made of Scholors in the south.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

There is also one in Tuluk, as well as a whole Templarate devoted to it, not to mention the Bardic Circle, who is always looking for stuff to write about.

Edited to add:

To bring this topic back on course, Merchant Houses count as 'Commoner' Houses. Typically a Merchant House (Great or Otherwise) will always have to bow down to any governmental group. While they do have vast amounts of wealth at their disposal (and this can often equate to 'power'), they walk the razors edge often when dealing with the Nobility.

I feel that folks are forgetting other organizations such as Tribal groups: the Tan Muark, Benjari/Arabet, and several desert and city-elf tribes. Many of these carry unique aspects of the 'commoner' persona...sure you aren't "from" the cities, but you're still lowlife scum.

As for new groups, you might see more of these creeping up as time goes on, but remember that the staff has to balance things such as player numbers, vs.  the amount of staff oversight/work required, vs. how much they add to the game, etc. etc. etc.
Tlaloc
Legend