I hate Dwarves

Started by Dwarf Racist, January 05, 2006, 09:55:00 AM

It's not serious problem or anything, but they just annoy me.

You don't like em, but you don't hate em. They're not as low as elves or halfies, but lower then a human,
but most of the time they get along with humans and or elves pretty well.

They're short, I always (no matter how hard I try) picture them with a beard at first....*sigh* and they always
talk that funny short leg talk for the first few weeks.

And this focus thing...? Is that ever played well? Focus comes off to me most of the time as n00b wants to spar.

Whats your focus? To concur the WORLD!

Any way. Does anyone else hate dwarves? Want to start a dwarf hating clan?

I concur doctor.

Dwarves are the middle humanoid. They like it that way, they can use elves or humans to get to their foci.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Oh..Just to add, they are cool for making mul's. Mul's are cool.

Aren't they the longest lived race too?  At least elves are the second
most common race; it gives them a one up of sorts.

In all seriousness, I like dwarves.  It's just hard to tell if they're being
played correctly unless you're an imm.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Agh, I always picture them with beards, too! I'm really bad at visualizing Zalanthan dwarves. :(
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"Agh, I always picture them with beards, too! I'm really bad at visualizing Zalanthan dwarves. :(
[

[Minor derailment]  I still say we need more pictures of critters and the races on the website.  I haven't done a pic of a dwarf, sounds interesting to try.  I know there are other artists, I urge you to post some yourself.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "amoeba"
Quote from: "bloodfromstone"Agh, I always picture them with beards, too! I'm really bad at visualizing Zalanthan dwarves. :(
[

[Minor derailment]  I still say we need more pictures of critters and the races on the website.  I haven't done a pic of a dwarf, sounds interesting to try.  I know there are other artists, I urge you to post some yourself.

Joram posted a bunch of pics on his site once. Darksun stuff.

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "amoeba"
[

Joram posted a bunch of pics on his site once. Darksun stuff.

Brom's work. It's copyrighted and as such not usable on the arm site.  They are, while very good works of art, in some cases not wholly represenative of our little world.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I hate these little bastards with a flaming, crimson, unyielding passion. I have always hated dwarves, in five years I have never and will never play a stinking little dwarf. I hate hate hate hate hate them. They should all be put in cages where they belong, they were once slaves, and if I have my way, one day they will be slaves again.

You know what I hate about them....its the smell....I feel....saturated by it....

Anyways, I hate them mainly because most people play them when they are ready to establish focus..."Become a great warrior"...which in turn gives them full right to spam sparr every day of thier little three and a half foot pathetic worthless lives. Not all are that way, but enough of them are that in my single minded state I will hate them all for it and usually try to find an ic reason to kill one any chance I get.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

so you hate dwarves because you've seen some newbs play them poorly?

. . .

I dont actually hate them, but I somewhat dislike them and I'm not sure why. I have seen some well-played ones, but I would not even pick the dwarf race at character creation if I was paid to do it.

I hold no real hate for them. I'm just frustrated at trying to envision them, and, since they're difficult to play well, I'm sure they end up being the source of a lot of bad RP. I've tossed around playing one as my next PC, actually.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Here.  Go to the first link on the post and look at the link that says
"Dwarf" at the bottom of the left column of links.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16492
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I love dwarves, I want to have their mulish babies. :)

Meh... dwarves.  Most of the ones I see are not played so well it least it doesn't appear that way.  I wish they weren't bald.  They just seem so ugly and stupid their RP limited.

Dwarves rock.  I want to kill you all painfully.

Regards.
Back from a long retirement

I have to agree. And for whatever reasons, dwarves are just one of those races that everybody either LOVES with a krathfire burning passion (had to use it), or hates so strongly that... well... they just don't like the short feckers. Personally, in games where I'm offered a choice, I normally ONLY play dwarf or halfling. In arm, not so much... try to diversify, but in D&D and the other hack'n'slash muds out there... oh yeah.

QuoteThey just seem so ugly and stupid their RP limited.

You sway me with your exceptional argument.

As with many roles such as magickers, muls, half-elves, elves, and half-giants..... yes... ALL of them, people simply seem incapable of portraying a truly realistic character. Instead, you fumble your way through the role like some imbecilic mandrill.

Shame on you!

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Quote from: "Anonymous"
QuoteThey just seem so ugly and stupid their RP limited.

You sway me with your exceptional argument.

As with many roles such as magickers, muls, half-elves, elves, and half-giants..... yes... ALL of them, people simply seem incapable of portraying a truly realistic character. Instead, you fumble your way through the role like some imbecilic mandrill.

Shame on you!

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Only half of that was serious.  :P  I'm a firm believer if you want something in Geddon changed you should try and change it yourself.  Maybe I will get around to playing a dwarf one of these days and setting the example of how I think they should be played well.  Maybe right some good info on them or something.  But their RP does seem either very limited or very excusable.

Quote from: "Dwarf Hater"I hate these little bastards with a flaming, crimson, unyielding passion. I have always hated dwarves, in five years I have never and will never play a stinking little dwarf. I hate hate hate hate hate them. They should all be put in cages where they belong, they were once slaves, and if I have my way, one day they will be slaves again.

You know what I hate about them....its the smell....I feel....saturated by it....

Anyways, I hate them mainly because most people play them when they are ready to establish focus..."Become a great warrior"...which in turn gives them full right to spam sparr every day of thier little three and a half foot pathetic worthless lives. Not all are that way, but enough of them are that in my single minded state I will hate them all for it and usually try to find an ic reason to kill one any chance I get.

Dwarfs rock.  They are infinitely more complex than humans.  Their role in society is so much more tenuous, and their focus adds immensely to their RP richness.  You Dwarf Haters might just like playing simpler races.  However, I agree dwarfs can be played poorly.  Someone said above that dwarf focuses were consistently about becoming the number one fighter.  Yeah, I think that is pretty lame too.   More than once, I have run into a dwarf with a focus to hunt down a particular creature just to prove his or her prowess.  Focuses should be more complicated and entwined with past or present.  Here's an example of a focus, "To have sex with a human woman." The story would be that the dwarf never got laid growing up and so felt emasculate.  He set his standard to a human woman because he believed that would be the pinnacle of sexual success.  All these dwarfs lumbering around with axes and hammers bothers me.  Seriously, this isn't J.R.R. Tolkien.  Damn you Gimli and your exemplary ways.  Let's see more nibble-footed, sword-wielding, bow-shooting dwarfs on Armageddon.
[/quote]
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I like dwarves, think they are neat. I would never play one.  I don't like that they are bald. I wish they all had long beards and I think playing a focus correctly is something that is hard to do and not something that very new players understand really well.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I too have trouble picturing hairless dwarves.

Hmm, maybe I should try and special-app a dwarven sorceror who's focus is to cast a spell that will make all dwarves in the world start growing hair...

Focuses stress me out.  I play this game to sort of do whatever not set and maintain goals.  That's too much like work.

I have trouble picturing dwarves with hair these days.   So hot and uncomfortable, (shudder) people with hair.  I think I need to make a dwarven barber, cut your hair for ten 'sid, cut it all off for free.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Maybe I will get around to playing a dwarf one of these days and setting the example of how I think they should be played well.  Maybe right some good info on them or something.  But their RP does seem either very limited or very excusable.

You know, you'd be amazed at how poorly complaining about dwarves and refusing to play them will prepare you for role-playing a dwarf well.

Role-playing a dwarf is one of the greatest challenges in Armageddon.  If you want to try it, then the only way to succeed is to try it, screw up constantly, reread the role-play documentation like you love it, play another after your first one dies, and then finally after a long while, you MIGHT start to get it.

For all of you who think that the standard of dwarven role-play is too low, while you may be right, I humbly suggest that you (hush) up and play one.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Anonymous"Maybe I will get around to playing a dwarf one of these days and setting the example of how I think they should be played well.  Maybe right some good info on them or something.  But their RP does seem either very limited or very excusable.

You know, you'd be amazed at how poorly complaining about dwarves and refusing to play them will prepare you for role-playing a dwarf well.

Role-playing a dwarf is one of the greatest challenges in Armageddon.  If you want to try it, then the only way to succeed is to try it, screw up constantly, reread the role-play documentation like you love it, play another after your first one dies, and then finally after a long while, you MIGHT start to get it.

For all of you who think that the standard of dwarven role-play is too low, while you may be right, I humbly suggest that you (hush) up and play one.

I agree.

I've only played three dwarven pcs in the time I've been playing Arm. I think I did pretty average with my first and my second I think that I did a great job of. (If I don't mind saying so myself.) Third was pretty good but I had issues with my focus trapping me into a boring situation that I couldn't get out of  without going OOC. I ended up storing it.

With dwarves, you need to carefully choose your focus. Take the time to think about how entertaining it will be for you and the other players interacting with the pc. Take into consideration the possible pitfalls from an OOC standpoint before choosing one as well. Make sure that your chosen focus is something you can enjoy as a player while sticking to it ICly at the same time.
You don't want to be stuck with your only option of enjoying the character being to go OOC.
When I got into that situation, I chose to store the character rather than go out of character.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D