Learning languages from VNPCs

Started by da mitey warrior, January 05, 2006, 02:30:30 AM

Consider this...a person who lives in a populated location where there is a dominate language should be able to pick up some of that language.  Right now the only way to pick up languages is through PCs or, rarely, npcs.  But if you do not run into those pcs, or you do not interact with them with that language you'll never pick anything up.  Learning languages is also difficult and frustrating.  

So what I propose is this: Rooms with vnpcs get a language flag attached to them and any non-idle pc in that room gets a small chance of getting a language skill event (which is equivilent of hearing someone speak something) whenever the in-game hour changes.  

I don't envision it to be a fast thing, the chance would be very small, more like something which would trickle in and slowly advance your language skills to reflect the enviroment you live in.  A dessert elf who moves to the city, or a guard who works for a merchant house, or a human who hangs out in the elf part of town should slowly pick up the language over 30, 40 or 50 game days of playing.  

Most bars and public streets would have sirihish,
Merchant house estates and merchanty areas would have cavilish,
Some shady areas and places with a lot of elves would get allundean,
Dwarf dominated areas, if any exist, would be flagged mirrukim,
areas deep inside the templar quarter would have tatlum etc
Areas without many vnpcs would not have anything.

100 times no.  There should be NO way that you can just pick up Tatlum (not like it's likely anyone will be just wandering around in the Templar's quarter, but that's besides the point).

The same should be said about Cavilish.  They don't speak that all the time.  If you haven't noticed, not all members of those Merchant Houses speak Cavilish...just a good majority.

To address this generally, though, you should have to interact with people to learn languages, I think.  This'll result in too many people learning languages just a bit too easily, in my opinion.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You cannot learn it through vNPC's.

You will not learn it through vNPC's.

You should not learn it through vNPC's.

You cannot learn it through a lot of bee's

You cannot learn it on your knees.

I want green eggs and ham, Sam I am.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev