Yessirre Bob
18 (75%)
I don't want this.
0 (0%)
I think it's a waste of time/not useful for the atmosphere
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: January 03, 2006, 11:40:54 PM

If we're talking about grit and harshness again, what do you people think about making the brighter clothes begin to fade after a time from exposure to the elements?

The way it would work is this - whenever a fancy clothing item (value over 200, or made of silk, or made in Allanak*) moves through a storming room, it can randomly have a couple of Shiny points nocked.  This would vary depending on the storm - stinging sand could take down 5 points, harsh sands could take 10 points, and the really bad storms could take down 40 points.
This means that walking through the desert wearing a pair of silk pants will ruin those pants.

There would be four states:
Normal - no visible flag.
Faded (a faded long, green silk scarf) - "The dye of this garment has faded a little".
Weathered (a weather...you get the idea) - "Many faded blotches can be seen all over the garment, and it has grown threadbare".
Ruined - "This garment's dyes have faded almost completely, and it shows signs of bad exposure to the elements".

It would be possible to repair faded clothes at a cleaner's shop and weathered clothes at a tailor's (for considerably more).  Ruined clothes can't be repaired, unless it's with magick or some -very- expensive treatment.

Clothes could also lose a couple of Shiny points randomly each IC day, simply to reflect the passage of time.  Clothes worn under a cloak won't be affected, and special clothes (such as silk House uniforms) would be immune since a rich noble/family merchant is very likely to simply get a new robe made when the old one is starting to look shoddy.

Faded clothes would also have their Value reduced.  Wear a ruined silk hat into the 'rinth, it's worthless now!

* - According to the Clothing Documentations, Allanak uses vivid but fast-fading dyes whereas Tuluk employs lighter but more stable colors.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Rock on.

However, it should also damage the clothing. As I've noticed. The more I wear the shirt, the easier it tears.

So when it gets to "weathered" it has a good chance to get torn, or whatever.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I'm in favor to a degree.  One reason is because it would cause people to spend their coin to repair their armor rather than spend oodlles of coins on nearly worthless things like razored wraps and uber cool ivory-hilted swords that the average commoner really shouldn't be able to afford, but can because they can spam craft or hunt every living creature in the wastes for a huge profit.

This wont stop it, just slow it down a little.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Spiffy idea.  I'd rather see object and food decay come in first.

I want to see tool breakage.

It's silly that Jobob Kadius the first can toss a set of tools in the crafting hall and Joebob Kadius the twentyninth can pick up that same tool set years later and (except for what's been lost in a crash) everything is there.

Obviously you can play it as a virtual replacement, but we have toolmakers and stonecrafters for a reason. The cheaper tools shouldn't last more than 20 uses before they dull and don't help.  Add a few uses onto your life with a whetstone when appropriate, or contact a tinker you know and see when they're coming back up for them to repair your fletcher's wrench.  The merchant Houses can have access to and sell limited quantities of their patented perfecto awesome tools.

That's just my personal want. (Oh, and tinkers should be able to make small cheap toys out of salvaged goods too.)

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

What about boots?  Weapons?  Everything should decay!
Love Larrath's suggestion though.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]