3-6 RL months
39 (31.5%)
6-12 RL months
23 (18.5%)
more than one RL year
26 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Voting closed: January 01, 2006, 01:33:42 AM

I'm just curious the average lifetime of a PC. how long (irl) did you have your longest-lived pc, and what's the average time you keep pcs?
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

I've had a couple that seriously skewed the curve, but mine generally live a fair amount of time.  My longest was 47 days.

Edit: Oh, you wanted RL. That was some 8 months, I don't really remember.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Oops.   I clicked on the answer for longest, not average.   Longest was just shy of 2 RL years.  Average is about 7 RL months.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

The characters I consider successful (as in, me being able to establish their personalities and really relating to them and having fun) usually tend to last about three to four months.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Not including my first character, which I more or less suicided after 5 hours of play, my average is about a year.  My longest lasted a few weeks shy of a year and a half.

It depends, but generally anywhere from 4 to 6 months
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

As a potentially tangential side note, why is it that people get the urge to kill PCs just because they have survived a long time?  Of course, good luck with that, since their long-time survival probably didn't come without already squashing a few 10-day peons such as yourself, but.. why?

I've never felt this urge here, because, quite honestly, the level of roleplay here is beautiful.  One would guess that there is some sort of OOC thrill in the bigger, badder prey, but I'm not the person to ask.

Admittedly, on another game I used play for some years before I came here, though, I would get that urge time and time again... and it was -always- the direct result of the OOC knowledge that that long-lived PC had become powerful through twinkage, and then used his position of coded power as an excuse to explain why -HE- didn't need to roleplay anymore, and could do whatever he felt like.  (PK-slaughter of the rest of the pbase normally ensued afterward, under the IC excuse that the character simply "went insane.")

I'm never happy to sit around and talk and have good relationships with everyone, which means I make many enemies and fight many battles. And since I have a tendancy to cause conflicts I either get killed before I'm able to defend myself or make contacts to defend for me.

Avg = Completely zany. 5 this holiday season alone! Generally at least a few IRL weeks though.

Longest lived = 2-3 IRL months, about?

I know, it's pitiful. I'm working on getting at least one really long-lived guy.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

My characters who live more than a few weeks seem to average 3-5 months.

My other characters probably average less than 24 hours of play time.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I usually figure out how a pc is going to survive indefinitely before I enter
play, so my usual playtime is close to a rl year these days.  It wasn't
always the case, so some of my previous pc's have brought the average
down.  My longest lived pc was about 2 rl years and was retired.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

My longest character lasted me six months.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Average? 3-4 months. I have alot of 'Oh, you fucking idiot... *smashes head into keyboard*' moments.

Most of my characters seem to be very active, though. They do alot in the time they have.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Mine just don't know how to die. So I am averaging 6 months. Without the mini Pcs in between (which I do something stupid to make me feel better).
My last two have lived over 6 months apiece.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Mine so far have tended to live fairly long lives.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

QuoteAs a potentially tangential side note, why is it that people get the urge to kill PCs just because they have survived a long time?

Because pointless aides/gemmers who sit around in the bars and never emote are boring? Some of us would like to see some turnover?  :P

Mine used to be long-lived when I played in clans. Since I've started playing strictly independents and d-elves it's dropped down to 1 month average or so. Maybe less than that. Lots of stupid mistakes...

The majority of my PCs have either been fairly long-lived (close to two RL years) or quickly retired. It seems that once I manage to get a connection and a good feel for a character, I can make them last for a good while. I've yet to have a satisfying death under extraordinary or even interesting circumstances, though.. it's almost a goal of mine now to be killed by something other than gith and gortoks.  :roll:

On my first PC still, but I have managed to keep him alive for 7 months so far. I plan on keeping him alive much much longer.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

I got sixty characters.  I average 2 days playing time.  Some with less than an hour playing time, and one with 72 days playing time.  Yay!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Kalden"
QuoteAs a potentially tangential side note, why is it that people get the urge to kill PCs just because they have survived a long time?

Because pointless aides/gemmers who sit around in the bars and never emote are boring? Some of us would like to see some turnover?  :P

It is depressing when I finally admit I played a single Pc for over 40 days.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Longest lived character was around... three months I think.  On average much less, you guyses characters much not get out much Krath!  Or I'm doing something wrong.

But... then again I pretty much never play city characters, they intruige me but once I find myself playing them I feel trapped.

I have a ...umm.. wandering soul?

I try out city characters every once in a while, and they always have such promise, but then I get this suicidal itch and decide to bring drastic conflict into the picture.

Conflict is good, right?

I enjoy long-lived characters. The longer you're around with any given character, the more likely you are to have some kind of significant impact. Since I'd personally rather play a role where I have a chance to do something that feels significant, I tend towards longer lived roles. It's a preference thing though. Around 20-30 days of playing time, you hit this lull, and a lot of people can't get past that. Once you do, everything's shiny.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

I remember an Imm posting a character that had been run for like... 10 years or something like that. The account had full karma, it was their first and only character, and it was still active... I believe.

The amazing thing was that it wasn't Tek or Muk.