Yes
27 (31%)
No
36 (41.4%)
Find out IC
24 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: December 28, 2005, 01:19:43 AM

the aide has to speak well because he must be atleast reasonably less disgusting to the noble then any other. Basically, it's not that an aide has to speak well, but only those who speak well are aides.

Thank you for that link, that was a pretty interesting read. I gotta say for an experienced person, it's much grittier to be a part of faction, then be an independant. Some cash flows near Allanak, with specified merchants (like obsidian mining) are clearly created to feed the newbie population, but they are 'immense' cash flows, and that's me talking, a complete newbie.

survive for a while in redstorm, as an indy non-ranger.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

*shrug*

From what I read, there's a lot more places in the game that are pretty hard to survive in if you're not a ranger. Sandstorm or no sandstorm. That's more harshness, then grit.

Getting rid of facets of the game that other people enjoy to supply your
own favorite facets isn't going to improve the setting.  Gritty does not
equate to outdoorsy.  You just end up making everyone want to make
rangers, who are adept at outdoor survival anyway; it ceases to be a
novelty for rangers to be special individuals.

Allanak and Tuluk have their places in the game for contrast.  If you want
grit, Luirs and Red Storm are waiting as is the Rinth.  Suggesting a
complete abolishment of the wealthy clans because you have no interest
in them is an error on your part.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Intrepid"Getting rid of facets of the game that other people enjoy to supply your
own favorite facets isn't going to improve the setting.  Gritty does not
equate to outdoorsy.

I think this was well stated. I would also add that without the contrast of the rich minority verses the dirty underclass you will never be able to notice the grit.  If anything, the contrasts need to be notched up more.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: AmoebaI would also add that without the contrast of the rich minority verses the dirty underclass you will never be able to notice the grit. If anything, the contrasts need to be notched up more.  

Absolutely Amoeba.  But I think what Thunder Lord (and others who talk about closeing some of the clans) were trying to say mirrors what you're saying: there needs to be that different to highlight the grit.  

Quote from: IntrepidGetting rid of facets of the game that other people enjoy to supply your own favorite facets isn't going to improve the setting.

True enough.  But when I look at what Thunder Lord is saying I don't see him taking away that much.  Yes, closing the some clans would take away from a particular job or color scheme for a PC.  But, the over all type of character would still be represented by one or two houses remaining open.

I guess over-all, by reading through all the posts, is that it comes down to player commitment.  It's not just a game thing, sometimes it is the player's responsibility to start role-playing that type of world.  Sure a few sids tax and water may ripple the idea of grit.  But, it won't be until players start role-playing that stinging stand storm, harsh glares, dismal conditions that grit will really be brought into the world.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

What would solve the problem actually is:

<110/110hp 105/115mv 100/100 stun, walking, riding:nothing>

The bald, three-toothed man shouts in sirihish:' Get your grit! Fresh from the latrines, as little as ten coins!.'

list
The bald, three-toothed man has the follow items for sale:
1) A lump of dark-brown grit for 10 coins.
2) A green and purplish sack of mushy grit for 12 coins.
3) A blackish, forearm sized log of rock-solid half-giant grit for 34 coins.
4) A yellow-speckled, finger sized lump of squicky yet solid grit 23 coins.
5) A bone box of gold-flecked, purplish grit for 1234 coins.

You give the bald, three-toothed man 12 coins in exchange for a green and purplish sack of mushy grit.

<110/110hp 105/115mv 100/100 stun, walking, riding:nothing>

Opening the sack and dipping his finger inside, the black-haired, generic PC grins, lifting his finger and watching a bit of black refuse running down his finger.

The black-haired, generic PC says in sirihish, pulling a handful of mush from his sack of grit: ' Mmmm, Grit."

The black-haired, generic PC waddles down the road, a gritty smile plastered across his face.

Nod.
your mother is an elf.

Rindan should be an Immortal. I absolutely love his take on what Armageddon should be like.

I've betrayed what I'd like because I have no time to play anymore, so my character is a member of a imm-run org. But if I had the sort of time I need (and I don't what with starting a business, working a ton, having a family, etc), I would try very hard to rid the game of all of this big shit and scatter it all into small clans and tribes and villages and fucking caravans. Fuck, I wish there were Gypsy caravans traversing the world, and I mean really traveling, too, making it hard to find one but being able to board one when you do and shop and rest and all that.

Life needs to be unstable and not plush unless you take a non-combative role as a merchant or servant or something. We don't need Nak or Tuluk. Just Luir's, nestled in a safe spot of the world, and ruled by a powerful Merchant House or tow, and caravans and villages and stuff, stuff to do and find and live off.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I would.

We can have grit and still have civilization.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

It only has enough grit if you're in the right places.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.