Started by Jakahri, December 20, 2005, 03:23:42 AM

What do you think, hrrm?

No thanks.
7 (17.9%)
Gravy.
32 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: December 20, 2005, 03:23:42 AM

What does everyone think about the added ability to charge your opponent while both of you are riding and knock him/her off of their own mount.

This would simply be an addition to charge, and give those highly skilled in the ability the chance to knock their opponent off of their mount, -if- their own mount is sizeable enough.

This means no kank charging another kank.

Sunback lizards and inix might actually be of some use as mounts, as well, since their size and natural combat prowess gives them the ability to reach a mount's rider with their tails and upper appendages.

Thoughts? Is this too powerful?
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Jakahri"What does everyone think about the added ability to charge your opponent while both of you are riding and knock him/her off of their own mount.

This would simply be an addition to charge, and give those highly skilled in the ability the chance to knock their opponent off of their mount, -if- their own mount is sizeable enough.

Sunback lizards and inix might actually be of some use as mounts, as well, since their size and natural combat prowess gives them the ability to reach a mount's rider with their tails and upper appendages.

Yes, yes. -Great- idea. We would have to make it so the small mounts don't knock off the big mounts though. Oh! also on foot a person has a better combat advantage. So really you gave him the better advantage. So how about you don't just knock him off. Howabout when he is knocked off their is a high chance of getting knocked out due to stun loss, and he would fall over on his back giving you a combat advantage. Thoughts?

What would be nice is if  'combat mounts'    Sunbacks, War beetles, horses.. etc

Gave 'extra' attacks  the way wrist razors and the like do  based on your riding skill.   Make up for the defensive loss.    Also a STR  bonus based on the steed type.

Example..   under the old Runequest rules.   You got to add the steeds size to your own when caculating your damage bonus..   with horses.. that could take say a Bastard sword at 1d10+1 (+your 1d4 str)  up as high as 1d10+1 (+ as much as 2d6 damage).
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Nay nay.

(I actually really like it, but if you say nay nay really quickly, it sounds cool.)
your mother is an elf.

You've been watching just for laughs recently, haven't you, Moof?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Nay nay.

(I actually mean yes. He was pretty funny, his delivery of "nay nay" was great."
your mother is an elf.

Inix are already useful as mounts.. they can carry  huge amounts of weight .. which is their purpose.. Sunbacks (low endurance and are slower then kanks apparently)  are not to useful..  Don't know about War beetles.

Quote from: "Jakahri"What does everyone think about the added ability to charge your opponent while both of you are riding and knock him/her off of their own mount.

As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I love the idea...as it is charging someone is fairly usless until you have just completely uber'ed the skill out so to speak. You charge them, they are on thier ass, lost a few hp maybe, but you still break even as you are mounted, and they are not. Anything that makes charge the equivelant of actually charging over someone with a two ton kank is what we need, instead of how it currently works, which is the equivelant of whapping someone with a sparring sword.

(Yes I understand that once charge gets good it is a force to be reckoned with in terms of hp loss, but who wants to spend thier character's lives charging your enemies just to end up in worse a situation than if you just dismounted.....mounted combat needs to be uber'ed up a bit, otherwise there is no point to actually trying to fight mounted other than you can look at the guy next to you and say..."I R COOL RANGER, WATCH ME FIGHT ON KANK".....Calvary were dreaded in medieval times, are our mounts really just a bunch of wimps on Geddon?)

Ido believe that it has been said by staff that the whole 'cavalry' idea has never developed on Zalanthas.

On that note, though, there are certain things that a cavalry would need...a way to stay in their seat, weapons to reach people not also on a mount, etc.  Many of these specialized things don't exist...and to make them exist would include some form of metagaming, since we already know they exist.

Personally, I feel that most anyone that has ride as a class skill already has a few advantages.  Increasing the effectiveness of mounted combat isn't the answer.  Then again, that's my opinion.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteIdo believe that it has been said by staff that the whole 'cavalry' idea has never developed on Zalanthas.
Hmm, wasn't there a tribe that trains and highly prizes mounted combatants?
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "HardCarbon"What would be nice is if  'combat mounts'    Sunbacks, War beetles, horses.. etc

Gave 'extra' attacks  the way wrist razors and the like do  based on your riding skill.   Make up for the defensive loss.    Also a STR  bonus based on the steed type.

Example..   under the old Runequest rules.   You got to add the steeds size to your own when caculating your damage bonus..   with horses.. that could take say a Bastard sword at 1d10+1 (+your 1d4 str)  up as high as 1d10+1 (+ as much as 2d6 damage).

War beetles are too slow. I think.  :oops:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Spawnloser"Ido believe that it has been said by staff that the whole 'cavalry' idea has never developed on Zalanthas.

Besides the Benjari documentation. There is also this:

Quote from: "From the Docs"War Beetle : These large, highly agressive insects are almost identical to ordinary beetles save in size. Covered in a thick chitin, typically ranging from dark browns to blacks, these beetles boast very powerful mandibles which can deliver hard bites. Though larger and slower than kanks, domesticated war beetles are prized by mercenaries and professional soldiers alike for their thicker shells and overall strength in combat. Large armies often employ units of riders mounted upon war beetles as heavy cavalry in battle.

Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

anything that makes the "war" mounts codedly more useful to a fighter than a kank, I'm for.

Okay, so beetles are often used, as well as the Benjari using cavalry.  I'd like to point out that this still doesn't make cavalry a common thing...to me, common is well-developed, and uncommon means that it hasn't really been developed.  Sure, some do it...but those would have to be people that do it because they've been doing it all their life (the Benjari) or those few people (remember a unit is such a small part of an army) that are good enough to go into combat mounted.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There is also

Ratlon : These rare pack-beasts are only occasionally seen in recent generations, apparently being very difficult to breed. While not well-suited for long desert journeys, their tough hides and strong, steady legs make them excellent mounts for rough terrain, and some mounted military units have preferentially utilized them.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Okay, you know what, I don't care how many documents say what about mounts or cavalry.  This discussion has come up before and all I was trying to do was tell everyone what I recalled of what it has came down to for reasoning on why there probably wasn't going to be any more change to mounted combat.

I never meant to argue for one side or the other, because really, I don't care one way or the other.

Now, I did what I wanted to and told you all why...now I'm done.

so maybe the staff have spoken against calvary, but then they contradict themselves with the docs. Surprising, but not impossible.

Or maybe you remember wrong. Regardless, what the hell is "metagaming"?

half-gaming?

Metagaming: using information that you know that your character should not.  For example, medical or engineering knowledge that wouldn't exist at this point in Zalanthan development.

I personally don't like it.

Makes using erdlus, sunbacks, and other such mounts even less useful, IMHO.

Kanks shouldn't be able to charge very well anyway, with my opinion.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Kanks shouldn't be able to charge very well anyway, with my opinion.

I agree. That is why I said mounts should not be allowed to charge other mounts larger than them. A kank is relatively small in comparison to an inix or sunback, afaik. It may weight alot, but it's fairly short.

No doubt. *flex*

Which makes sunbacks even less useless. Along with Erdlus.

While making kanks more useful by allowing them to trample over these supposedly smart mounts.

I think this skill would hurt those mounts more than it would help the others. So, no, don't ever implement this.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Which makes sunbacks even less useless. Along with Erdlus.

While making kanks more useful by allowing them to trample over these supposedly smart mounts.

You're not listening to me.

Quote from: "Taken from the helpfiles on Sunbacks"Being hunters by nature, they tend to adapt better to mounted combat, the better trained among them being able to use their heavy tails to advantage.

Kanks may weigh a ton, but they are relatively -short-. Sunbacks, though they may weigh less and not have the overall strength, have powerful tails to aid them in combat. This would grant them a better chance to "charge", I think.

Erdlu's are a different story. They are quite small, yet very agile. Their agility and combat prowess with their beaks alone might allow them to scurry aside of a kank's charge.

No doubt. *flex*

I could see an inix ramming into an erdlu and knocking it on its back, the hapless rider sailing through the air.  I think mount discipline should be added to the list of factors as well.  A better trained mount would be more ready to play chicken with another mount!  On account that the rider is on a non-war-trained mount, the mount would shy away easier.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L