Skill:Hunt

Started by Armaddict, December 20, 2005, 01:40:32 AM

Just a thought on an addition to the hunt skill, and I want to see if it seems plausible or if I'm just not thinking of something obvious.

Anyone else think that the hunt skill, when at a high skill percentage, should be able to be performed while mounted?  Probably have a nice penalty, but if you're tracking mounted you're probably in a hurry and it would make sense.

It's not really a priority idea or anything as we -can- dismount to do it now.  Just occurs to me that it might be nice for some of those chase scenes in the desert, and it's annoying as hell to dismount and track for more than a few rooms.  Not hard, just an excessive hassle.

Thoughts?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Depending upon the height of the creature that you are riding, it might be rather unrealistic to hunt successfully while mounted.

However with possible negatives to the skill, it might be feasible.

*shrug* I'm iffy on this.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Hey, some creatures (and PCs for that matter) leave pretty big prints...and no matter the height of the mount, you should be able to see the tracks.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Hey, some creatures (and PCs for that matter) leave pretty big prints...and no matter the height of the mount, you should be able to see the tracks.

I concede to your point, this is true.

But, not all prints are left out in the open. Remember, some tracks are left amongst the dense scrub, forest floor, rocky barrens, etc. In these areas it might be very hard to catch sight of tracks unless one was fairly close to the ground.

No doubt. *flex*

I will conceed that as well.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Aren't those...reflected...in...the penalty?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"Aren't those...reflected...in...the penalty?

*nod* That's the way I perceived your post, in any case.

Quote from: "I"However with possible negatives to the skill, it might be feasible.

Still a bit iffy on the whole idea, though.

No doubt. *flex*

I like it.

If only because it makes it more seamless.

Just add a longer timer and a penalty.

I also like it.

Especially since it's been said time and again that tracking is far more than simply looking at tracks.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I would not like it.. Simply.. If you're seeing something atop a large kank, even when you're a great 'hunt'er, they should have been already obvious. It would be understandable if it was scrubs (fallen scrubs after an inix stomps on them), if the victim was bleeding, if the hunt is performed after a crazy vivaduan called for rain in the desert. Please asse-v your kank.. It's really really tall.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

About the size of a horse...it's "height" is the length of the creature.

Still there would large negatives, including a larger timer like delerium has said.

Maybe if you were ontop a kank you'd improperly judge the direction of travel, or perhaps misjudge the size/weight/race of a track... There would be far too many negatives. I'm not entirely sure what the average height of kank is, but it would be fairly high. I could see this skill being feasible, but it wouldn't work really well, unless you had perfect eyesight...

I thought at time, tracking would involve looking at the tracks fairly close-up, touch, possibly even smell, angle of indent, etc etc etc, all things unachievable on a kank.

So, in my opinion, it would be more of a hassle to track on a kank, than it would be dismount. You'd end up misjudging and throwing yourself off.

It's not really a large hassle to dismount either, in reality you wouldn't have to do it every room, you'd glance down at the track, check it out etc etc etc, remount ride a few leave, POSSIBLY KEEPING AN EYE ON IT WITH YOU LOWERED HUNT SKILL FROM ONTOP YOUR KANK, and keep checking it on foot every now and again.

I could see that working.
your mother is an elf.

Look at it this way.. how often to PCs actually USE  hunt to track critters?  I know I pretty much never feel  the need.   I'd like to see hunt for PCs help they way Mobs use it.   i.e. you move into a room tracking a critter.. you spot its tracks (or not)  and which way it went.. so you can follow it.  
Move e
You move east.
Critter panics and flees south.
hunt
Critter's tracks leading southward.
South
Yoiu move south.
Hunt
Crittters Tracks leading west.
West
You move west
Critter panics and moves  north.

etc etc

Espically since LOOK would locate the critter faster then hunt.

Quote from: "Cenghiz"I would not like it.. Simply.. If you're seeing something atop a large kank, even when you're a great 'hunt'er, they should have been already obvious. It would be understandable if it was scrubs (fallen scrubs after an inix stomps on them), if the victim was bleeding, if the hunt is performed after a crazy vivaduan called for rain in the desert. Please asse-v your kank.. It's really really tall.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Actually my hunter-type pcs use it for tracking critters quite often. At times if I don't see the tracks I'm looking for.  I will rp that they don't spot the critter either and move on to other prey.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

And there are weird critters out there that make confusing moments to try to get away.  Big ones, with soft skin, round ears, and opposable thumbs.