'Stop' comman for clearing commands?

Started by WarriorPoet, December 15, 2005, 11:30:57 PM

Quote from: "Xygax"No, in fact, that will be one of the first things I do next, I expect. It will clear your current input queue(s) without ending any existing delay. In other words, if you're in the middle of one kick-delay, it won't help you. But if you've queued 40 walk commands and then see your friend, you can drop the remaining 33 and stop to chat.

Again, any delay you've already accumulated will still be in-place before you could, for example, initiate combat.

Anyhow... look for this to be in in the next few days (if we crash or reboot for some reason).

-- X

I long for this to be implemented and wanted to put it back up for praise/flames. This seemingly small thing would be a stellar improvement in the code, as far as I'm concerned, though I'm sure it will be harder on Xygax's end of things. I'm sure you're all as eager as I am for this, so I'll get to brass tacks here:

Any glimmer of hope on this from Immland

-WP?
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Wheeeeeeen did he post that?   :shock:

*whines*
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

June or July, I think. I looked for that quote for like three fucking hours, though, so I'll die before trying again. :)

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I don't really see much of a reason for a command like this. You probably shouldn't be spamming -any- kind of command regardless, and if your enter key gets stuck down.. you can always reconnect quickly to drop extra commands.

See this thread and also this one

Quote from: "Tamarin"Wheeeeeeen did he post that?   :shock:

*whines*

It has been a while.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I'd love this.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: "Khorm"I don't really see much of a reason for a command like this. You probably shouldn't be spamming -any- kind of command regardless, and if your enter key gets stuck down.. you can always reconnect quickly to drop extra commands.

I can completely see where your coming from Khorm. That is -if- spam walking was the only problem. For instance, I've been a few sparring matches where I've typed bash and then a few minutes later I end up knocking them down when they are at a point where they need to leave. Also been on the reiceiving end and it sucks as you watch your health drain away as you try to get the hell out of there because the person couldn't stop from bashing me.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

That's why you do not spam bash and kick. If I was a sergeant, I would whip a player spamming 'bash' to the level where they have permanent HP loss. ICly they tried to kill a fellow by not letting them leave, OOCly they spammed a command to the point where they can kill another character senselessly; which is a very disrespectful act.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Thats funny cause I do not remember saying anything about spamming at all.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

My characters are usually spam-walking just in time my cat jumps on the keyboard. I tried to explain to her it's not a nice, I even tried to teach her not to hunt my typing fingers, but she is too stubborn to understand the danger.

Quote from: "daedroug"....For instance, I've been a few sparring matches where I've typed bash and then a few minutes later....

... a few minutes later??
As far as I know, ginka processes the command "bash" instantly. If you're waiting for a few minutes, it means you had spammed commands before.
As I said, do not spam commands; problem solved.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

If you're in combat where there is alot of spam, it's not hard to think you missed the bash/kick/disarm whatever message in the scroll, and simply try another. I've been in large-scale combat where commands I've put in won't come around for a full minute, because of the combat spam in the room, my own command-lag from thirty-plus seconds ago, my outrageously shitty ISP, and, possibly, a bit of haste on my part.

It's not that I'm mass-spamming anything, it's just that shit sometimes happens where it might be good to clear the queue and know exactly where you're at instead of being forced to wait around and see if that second kick you entered thirty seconds ago has gone through, or if you're in combat-limbo somewhere, waiting for the lag to stop and for you to throw another kick, starting the combat-lag scenario over once more.

As for this encouraging spamming and all, I think the Immortals have already said they dislike seeing that from people, and already take steps to discourage it. This wouldn't change much, seems to me.

Dropping link may work well for some, but not all of us are blessed with DSL. In fact, many, like myself, are still stuck in the hell that is dialup. Dropping link when it's hot and heavy could turn a workable scenario into disaster if my ISP decides to give me a few seconds worth of shit, or, God forbid, the computer go down on me because of Zmud's fucking mmtask that crushes me every other day o so. No. Dropping link is an invitation for disaster, for me.

With all of that said, I'll bow out here, and leave it for discussion. I only reposted the idea because it generated alot of interest in previous threads. Plus, Xygax voiced his intentions to take care of it soon, so I assumed it was a more or less done deal that never went through...

-WP

Hmm.. point taken.. 'skills <xxx>' works well there.. If you choose something that has not many skills like psionics, it gives out very little info. And yes, the response is sent after the lag, so you may be sure if you're reading 'contact              barrier' you don't have a lag at that instant.
Of course, 'stop' would be a good idea.. I just tried to give a temporary solution.

Heh.  Yeah, this is super-easy to implement actually, guys.  I've just been crazy busy at work, which means no time to implement, no time to test.  I'll come back to it in January, hopefully.

-- X

I want to have Xygax's babies.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one