Disarm skill

Started by theebie, December 15, 2005, 03:18:35 AM

hi,

how about adding the follow to disarm:

> disarm elf
You knock the sword out of the elves hand and grab it out of the air.

result:
you disarm your opponent and instead of his weapon dropping down to
the ground (for him to pick it up again before the disarmer could do so
since he has after-delay from disarm) you snatch it out of the air and
have it.

(kung-fu guys do that all the time :)

one of the benefits would be that a skilled fighter who has no weapon
and gets attacked by some raiders, can grab one of their weapons and
protect 'self

---theebie---

Heh, I forgot you had 4 arms like a mantis. If you ever fight a mantis, try disarming it. I don't like this idea. Disarm is powerful enough by knocking it fifty feet away into the other room.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I suddenly felt to urge to make a warrior, have badass 'disarm' then wait till you toss someone's weapon disarmed to 'up', type an emote like 'emote grabs the weapon with a wide grin before it drops to the ground' and type 'get <weapon>' as the weapon falls down.
It would be one of the 'OOC humour IC's.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Heh, I forgot you had 4 arms like a mantis. If you ever fight a mantis, try disarming it. I don't like this idea. Disarm is powerful enough by knocking it fifty feet away into the other room.

*hehe* did that
...all of the above
...'sides the thing of having four arms

:)

I'm willing to suspend belief for some things in a fantasy setting...

...but not this one.  A person's reflexes would have to be insane to be able to do this.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I'm willing to suspend belief for some things in a fantasy setting...

...but not this one.  A person's reflexes would have to be insane to be able to do this.

Specially if they are already holding two blades.

Quote from: "theebie"kung-fu guys do that all the time

I imagine there is much trickery afoot in those movie scenes. Plus, they usually don't have weapons in their hands at the time. Plus, the people they do it to are usually just anonymous henchmen and you can get those guys to do any stupid thing you like.

Plus, I don't think anyone on Zalanthas knows Kung-fu.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

All my characters do.  :wink:  You just try and fight one of my merchants sometime. :shock:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

No. I am quite sure I could do it for IRL and trust me, I'm not a master warrior. I can do Tae Kwondo, but I'm not sure if I'd say I was amazing. A master warrior -is- amazing, so they should be able to do it.  Half the time they develop their own martial arts. I know my characters did anyway, and a master warrior can do amazing things. Better than catching a disarmed weapon. They can deflect arrows for kraths sake.  I think we should implement it.

Disarm is already too powerful, with next to no lag and the ability to permanently cripple your opponent's fighting potential (if you're willing to twink, anyway).
Back from a long retirement

Quotedisarm ; emote whacks at %duder wrist and does some other generic disarm emoting.

You deftly knock a bone sword from duder's hands.

emote Shrieking in triumph, @ leaps for %duder fallen weapon, nearly dropping his own club as he clutches at the blade; get sword

Duder attacks you as you bend to pick something up, doing horrendous damage to your ass.

change hands etwo ep; wield sword; say (swinging club and sword at ~duder as he shakes his head, seeming slightly dazed from the blow) You're in a bunch of shit now!

I vaguelly remember someone saying this was 'Bad', but meh. Seems like a viable substitute for this idea, to me. If you can disarm, wait out the command-lag, grab their sword AND survive the combat bonus they get when you stop to retrieve, I figure it would be fine. After all, you knocked their sword away, right? You dealt with the coded penalties, lag and retrieval, right? Seems it's fair game for anyone to snatch up.

I'm not much of a disarmer, though. I use bash, bitch.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

It's possible to kick something out of someone's hand and grab it from the air.  I've lucked out and done it once when someone had some wooden rubberband-gun contraption aimed at me.

However, I don't think this would sit very well with the game balance.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "WarriorPoet"I vaguelly remember someone saying this was 'Bad', but meh. Seems like a viable substitute for this idea, to me. If you can disarm, wait out the command-lag, grab their sword AND survive the combat bonus they get when you stop to retrieve, I figure it would be fine. After all, you knocked their sword away, right? You dealt with the coded penalties, lag and retrieval, right? Seems it's fair game for anyone to snatch up.

Most people don't bother to free their hand when picking up a weapon, unlike in your example.

I've seen very few, if any PCs who fought with one weapon and an empty hand.  Most people go two weapon style, or weapon and shield style.  How are you supposed to catch a third object with no free hands?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I've seen very few, if any PCs who fought with one weapon and an empty hand.  Most people go two weapon style, or weapon and shield style.  How are you supposed to catch a third object with no free hands?

That's exactly what I'm saying.  If you're wielding one weapon in two hands and you change to one hand, -then- pick up the dropped weapon, and then wield it in your secondary hand and proceed to dual wield then perhaps it kind of makes sense.  Otherwise you're just abusing the code.

I'm so vehemently against this proposition, I don't know what else to say except "no".  Warriors just...are fine the way they are.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Well, disarm is one very abusable and cheesy skill already.  Why are we trying to make it more cheesy?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Ritley. If you can wield two weapons and catch a third after knocking it skillfully away, and not fumble and get yourself killed, I will pay you a thousand dollars.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Ritley. If you can wield two weapons and catch a third after knocking it skillfully away, and not fumble and get yourself killed, I will pay you a thousand dollars.

Aaaaand I've found the newest addition to my sig.  It shall replace my horrendous pic.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Cuusardo"How are you supposed to catch a third object with no free hands?
Teeth.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Err.. a bit addition? Let's say your opponent is wielding a sword and a longknife. You're wielding two swords.
Your opponent disarms your weapon to 'up', drops his knife, then emotes grabbing the weapon he disarmed in the air and holds it.
I won't care if someone emotes this to me.
But an addition to disarm? No need.. As seen above, it can be emoted out when the conditions are right.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Ghost"Well, disarm is one very abusable and cheesy skill already. Why are we trying to make it more cheesy?

Mostly explains what I think on that matter.

Seeing of spamming of "disarm;get all" stiill frustruates me. I do not think we need any other command that helps to those who think ARM is something about winning, beating monsters, PKing many, insulting others, playing most powerful character ever, etc.. I do not see why such an addition gives any more roleplaying opportunities then it is now.

Edit: Smoothing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Contrary to other people, I don't think the disarm skill is cheesy or overpowered. I don't think anything needs to be added to it either. I think it's just fine like it is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't understand following up a disarm by grabbing the weapon off the ground either.  If you knocked the weapon out of your opponent's hand, it didn't just fall right at your feet.  It flew in who knows what direction.  Not to mention, YOU ARE STILL BUSY FIGHTING.   :shock: