the invisible inventory

Started by daedroug, December 02, 2005, 05:09:23 AM

Quote from: "Hexxaex"
Quote from: "jhunter"
Quote from: "CRW"I like the way SoI handled this, for the most part.  2 inventory slots, one for each hand.  It's weird seeing a noble sitting having a drink at a bar when there is a gaj shell in his inventory, something I've encountered before.

Actually I -hated- it. I found it extremely irritating and unrealistic for other reasons. It's one of several reasons why I didn't keep playing SOI. The current way is much more flexible.

When I played SoI, I could only hold 2 tiny coins.  I was wondering what was so hard about putting them in the same hand, considering their size.
actually i'm -almost- certain that as long as they were the same denomination of coin that they did stack but if u had say a coin worth 10 copper and then a coin with 1 copper in your hands then they wouldn't stack (just in case some people have never played SOI they have much more complicated coinage system that more resembles real life it was also aided by an automatic payment system that searched through your belongings to pay for somthing)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Daedroug,

Inventory isn't nearly as secure as you seem to think. Anybody who thinks they're going to avoid raiders and such by keeping all their items in their inventory is in for a sorry surprise when they meet a good pickpocket. Peek is a very nice skill, try it out sometime. :) Most people will either be wearing their nice stuff, or hiding it in a backpack/pouch/cloak if not. Either way, people will and should be able to hide things from the sight of everyday people glancing at them. I don't think changing inventory to make things good for random thugs like in the example you gave is a good idea.

Hmm, well, like Rindan said, why not display items above a certain size for all to see. Like the example where the guy was carrying a grill. It would be hard to miss; difficult to picture him successfully concealing it under a cloak. Same for the guy who had a chair in his inventory during mudsex.  :lol: I don't want to know what that was used for.

Anyhow, smaller items could be consigned to the virtual pockets etc.

l porter
This bent old man's skin is wrinkled and creased. Age spots show through its dark mahogany color.

<worn about waist>          a dusty tattered loincloth

The bent old man is carrying:
a bale of cloth
a huge basket

But you don't get to see the leather ticket and pair of sandals floating in his inventory without the 'peek' command.

I'd start going on about how items really could have two values, namely bulk (representing dimensions) and weight (mass), both of which would be used to determine whether they could be carried, fit into packs and whatever, but it would be huge undertaking now to put it in (having to decide on a bulk value for thousands of objects).
Lunch makes me happy.

I think that it really displays more attention to detail and more realistic roleplaying ability for folks to just rp out having those things via emote.

I mean, it leaves a bit of gray area for people to decide what should be noticable or not depending on the item and the pc. A half-giant can probably palm a human sized chair so that noone would notice it for what it was. It would then be unrealistic for the code to display that to everyone who looks at the half-giant.

Plain and simple it's just more flexible this way. If you want to make it more realistic, use the rp tools we have to "paint the picture for everyone else" it's not really that huge of a deal the way it is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "ale six"Peek is a very nice skill, try it out sometime.
true but you shouldn'e need a special skill to show you that some guy is carrying a chair or claymore

Quote from: "ale six"Most people will either be wearing their nice stuff, or hiding it in a backpack/pouch/cloak if not. Either way, people will and should be able to hide things from the sight of everyday people glancing at them.
i completely agree with the first sentence any one that wants to keep somthing hidden would and should put it into there cloak or belt or whatever and anything that they either don't want to hide or can't fit into one of those containers -should- be visible

Ok sorry about that. That last one was me. Forgot to log in.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "jhunter"I think that it really displays more attention to detail and more realistic roleplaying ability for folks to just rp out having those things via emote.

Go ahead and emote all you want about it, nothing wrong with that. People should still be able to notice the massive chest that elf is carrying just by looking at him, nevertheless.

It is somewhat arbitrary, so it could be made conservative by setting the cutoff fairly high. Use double the usual cutoff for half-giants.
Lunch makes me happy.

Sort of on the same subject, Even if you can't see a person's inventory when they are walking around.  When ko'd or sleeping peek should work like steal: 100% regardless of if you have the skill or not.  That way if you raid some person in the desert you won't always have to kill em to see what they have.  peek, it works you take what you want and maybe let em live.  Be less need to pk with raiders then.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Yeah, I've idea'ed that in-game several times, Cyrian20.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

On a side note, "idea"ing something once is always sufficient.  We keep ideas around forever.  They don't get purged once a week or anything like that.

So please don't submit the same idea(s)/bug(s)/typo(s) over and over (because then the duplicates hang around forever, too).

Thanks,
 Xygax

Heh, well...several times over a period of several years, Xygax.  It's not exactly a new idea.

I just figured maybe bumping it up to the top of the idea stack every once in awhile couldn't hurt.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "Anonymous"First, how the hell is CRW a Legend? Heh. Secondly, I don't like the two hand crap. I just happen to think it's better to be able to see what's in the inventory.

That was me, so sorry. Secondly, I had no idea CRW had ever been a staffer, so congrats on that, I guess. And so on...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870