Listen code

Started by bloodfromstone, November 26, 2005, 03:42:34 AM

QuoteYes, I know it's been brought up before, but I still feel it is an issue that has a negative effect on gameplay. Listen is ridiculous. From my experience, everyone with listen listens all of the time and hears everything, no matter if they're in a crowded bar, training hall, the streets, a storm... And who is to blame them? The code says they hear it.

This isn't as bad as pickpockets stealing a slung POLEARM.   People vanishing in a crowded room with seven people looking at them.   People with listen are trained to pick up things of interest.

Note..Perhaps an urban and a wilderness verson of this skill might work...  ie the wilderness can hear creatures approaching within 2-3 rooms but can miss conversations.  and the reverse for urban.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

HardCarbon...but how does the code represent you 'hearing things approach' ?  By defeating sneak.  That's all you want rangers to have?  Sound carries in the wilderness and they can monopolize on that, being wilderness people.

Personally, I think 'listen' is fine when roleplayed well.  Those that don't roleplay it well...well...it's just like people that roleplay anything wrong, they need to learn and we have to deal with it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.