Skill: trap2

Started by theebie, November 19, 2005, 06:29:53 AM

hi,

how about a skill that allows people to build traps out in the wild to
trap animals.

ic idea behind is: lets make a big big hole, cover it with planks, cover
the planks with sand, ride above it with ya kank, followed by an angry
bahamet, which will crush the planks and fall down

'could require materials (planks, shovel to make hole and so on)

could have as argument
build trap size_huge to trap meks or size_tiny to make a little sling to capture a gimpka rat

---theebie---

How many times would someone do that? I don't think it'll be done in a daily basis (hunting bahamets, I mean).. So simply wishing up could save the problem..
Or maybe craftable NPCs -possible?- that try to subdue anything in sight with a different message, including the creator? So when the bahamet breaks free, it climbs the hole.. If it can't, the hole's too deep for it. But as I said, messages should be different from the normal, so I guess it should be hard to code.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I believe that's been on our wishlist for awhile.

Trapping a bahamet sounds more like a "mission impossible" here.  Just imagine how big you have to dig.  And then hide your trap, so bahamet won't notice it.  You have to make it very good, cause it can collapse on itself too.  And after all that stuff, is it going to worth it?

Other than that though, a trap for a relatively small critter sounds all too well.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Trapping a bahamet sounds more like a "mission impossible" here.  Just imagine how big you have to dig.  And then hide your trap, so bahamet won't notice it.  You have to make it very good, cause it can collapse on itself too.  And after all that stuff, is it going to worth it?

Other than that though, a trap for a relatively small critter sounds all too well.
Yes, this is why we haven't implemented this form of trap yet.  Need to figure out how to make this work in a fairly logical way.  How to account for different animals, how to account for different types of traps and how they interact with different critters, etc.

Size ranges, maybe?  And.. perhaps flight or !flight checks.. ie.. you can't trap a falcon wtih a hole.. but you can trap anything from a gimpka to a quirri with a (small)Hole.  With a (large) hole, you can catch tembos, maybe.. and raptors.. but it would codedly have an insane lag..
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I've often wished there was a better version of traps in general than just explosives. Poisoned needles under doorknobs, tripwires, rope snares, torsion-powered leg traps, portable chlorofom-deploying enticement snares (ok, maybe not that one).
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I wish there was more variety with traps as well, utilizing poisons, etc...  Also there should be abilities to detect and disarm traps.  Doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to code if anyone was interested in doing it.

Outdoor traps. Variety of traps. All sounds absolutely awesome.
There needs to be an arrow trap, by the way. Or at least a poison dart trap.
And then a whip. And then one of those wide-rimmed hats.
And then a hot blonde with a funny accent. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
Point is, I think trapping should work sort of like a craft skill. "craft needle vial into poisoned bone needle", "craft rope bow arrow into disassembled arrow trap"? Heck, maybe even make two skills... trap-making and trap-setting. And what about trap-disarming? Trap detection?
There's a lot of potential. Suddenly ambushes and cloak-and-dagger assassinations can be a lot more complex than "okay, gents, when he gets here, spam the hell out of kick".
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Have to be careful with outdoor traps, or the desert elves will go nuts and destroy all travel between cities.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: "Salt Merchant"Have to be careful with outdoor traps, or the desert elves will go nuts and destroy all travel between cities.

And that's a bad thing?  :twisted:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]