Website down?

Started by Spasm, November 04, 2005, 09:21:52 AM

Is the website/game down? Sure hope its not another net problem...remember the last time? Two days?....>Gaaaaahhh.....*Hides under his bed*

No, just www.armageddon.org is not resolving.  Ginka.armageddon.org is, so you can still connect to the game just fine - just not www.armageddon.org
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

By the way, as a result of this, email to mud@armageddon.org will not get through, but mud@ginka.armageddon.org will.. until it's fixed.

Wacky DNS follies. I'm on it.

-S

Whats the url for connecting when trying to use a client like Gmud? I used to know the numbers for the damn thing...now I cant remember. Still port 4050 right?

Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Halaster"By the way, as a result of this, email to mud@armageddon.org will not get through, but mud@ginka.armageddon.org will.. until it's fixed.

How long has this been going on?
I'm starting to think that some mail I sent some time ago did not go through because I didn't send it to ginka.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Nao"
Quote from: "Halaster"By the way, as a result of this, email to mud@armageddon.org will not get through, but mud@ginka.armageddon.org will.. until it's fixed.

How long has this been going on?
I'm starting to think that some mail I sent some time ago did not go through because I didn't send it to ginka.

If it didn't go through because of a dns issue, you would get a bounce message stating as such from your isp.  Although sometimes, depending on how the smtp server is set up, you may not get the message for 5 days.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Ok...in my gmud client I enter in the host name as.....ginka.armageddon.org....then the port....4050....but I cant connect...it runs the search...then tells me it isnt found....what is the number url for it? You know....64/208/blahahahahah?

Actually, I cant connect either, I don't think this is a problem with you or your client or the port..
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I'm getting an invalid host address error on my client.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Good, not just me then.
ou can not trust anything that bleeds for five days and dose not die.

You can replace the name with the IP and get in that way:

ginka.armageddon.org is now not resolving, so the only way to connect to the game is using the IP directly.

64.252.79.51, port 4050.

That did it, Halaster.  Thanks alot.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I play with the webclient at www.armageddon.org/client, so I can't connect at all.

Any clue on when the problem will be resolved?

The link on the webpage works..  ginka.armageddon.org 4050

Are characters being accepted?

I can't get in even without the IP as my address.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

No clue when it'll work again. I've escalated the issue with the DNS host, but they obviously have better things to do. And DNS takes a few hours to propagate once it's fixed anyway. Just keep trying. It'll work eventually.

Saikun

For those folks dying to get to www.armageddon.org or ginka.armageddon.org.  If you are on MS windows a simple solution is to add the follwing line to your local hosts file:

64.252.79.51    ginka.armageddon.org www.armageddon.org

Go to find file and enter hosts as the seach phrase.  You may find a couple of files named "hosts", this is okay, use one without an extension. Pick the one under c:\windows somewhere and open it with notepad.  Enter the line above as the last line.

What this will do is bypass the dns lookup for ginka.armageddon.org and www.armageddon.org.  As you are telling your system here where to look.  One cavat.  If they ever change the IP address, you will need to get back into this file and delete the line.

If you are on Linux the file is /etc/hosts, but you already know that.  Mac users, sorry, don't have a clue.

edit: I guess it does matter which hosts file you pick. for Windows XP at least this needs to be the file "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts".    You do not need to reboot for it to work.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Still no love on the DNS front. My repeated calls, rants, and escalations seem to be for naught. I can only surmise that the once competent folks who hosted our DNS have started to take the short bus to work. The only reason I've been patient with them at all is that they charge us a criminally small amount (less than $25 a year) to handle the DNS services, and most places would charge that every month. I've given them an ultimatum however, and so they have until Monday afternoon before I do something drastic. I don't know what that will be yet, but they won't be pleased, regardless.

Anyhoo, I'll keep you guys posted if any news comes along.

-S

www.godaddy.com

Move the domain there, about 50 bucks for five years.

Screw the other guy.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Doesn't matter. It looks like it's back now anyway.

-S