Ideas

Started by Ritley, October 29, 2005, 10:46:40 AM

Because I have nothing better to do with my time I will hit you with some ideas I have.......
One: We have a great combat system, but everything has room for improvement. How about the ability to block with every weapon not just a shield (however it might be easier with a shield). In my experiance parrying is intercepting someones attack, while blocking is positioning your blade in front of were your opponents striking to stop his weapon hitting yourself, but instead your blade. So every weapon should be able to do it. In fact make it a coded skill were master blockers can negate all damage, but poor blockers will hardly negate any damage at all.

QuoteThe figure in a dark hooded cloak lightly slashes your bone longsword

You slash the figure in a dark hooded cloak very hard on his obsidian longknife

You deftly parry the figure in a dark hooded cloaks slash

what do you think?  and how about if your strong enough and you parry the attack well enough you send the opponents weapon flying.

QuoteYou deftly parry the figure in a dark hooded cloaks slash and send his serpent hilted longknife flying

thoughts?

No, I don't like your idea, either of them.
How would hitting someone's blade hurt the person? Besides possibly breaking both of your weapons.
And secondly, you can already do the disarm one.

It is with a skill called disarm.

RP them out to your specific likes though.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"No, I don't like your idea, either of them.
How would hitting someone's blade hurt the person? Besides possibly breaking both of your weapons.
And secondly, you can already do the disarm one.

It is with a skill called disarm.

RP them out to your specific likes though.

Because of the force of the attack. And it just seems realistic a half giant parrying a attack would send a blade flying.

So, the force of you hitting my wooden club, but never touching me, could be enough to kill me?

Realistic? For a half-giant? Sure.

Can a 89 pound 'rinther use enough force to send the half-giant's weapon flying?

That 89 pound 'rinther could be as elite a warrior as possible but there is no way in hell it could disarm a half-giant by hitting weapon against weapon and overpowering a half giant. IMOP, It doesn't sound realistic.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"So, the force of you hitting my wooden club, but never touching me, could be enough to kill me?

Realistic? For a half-giant? Sure.

Can a 89 pound 'rinther use enough force to send the half-giant's weapon flying?

That 89 pound 'rinther could be as elite a warrior as possible but there is no way in hell it could disarm a half-giant by hitting weapon against weapon and overpowering a half giant. IMOP, It doesn't sound realistic.

Yes, maybe. Maybe you positioned your blade to close to your body, so the opponents attack knocks your blade into your side. Or the block could work like the parry, but it doesn't knock the opponent off balance. And no to your second statement. He couldn't. But I did say only the strong could do it.
P.S It is possible actually. Maybe the rinther cut the half giants hand as well as parrying the weapon causing him to drop it? you never know.

Making the Parry skill capable of disarming would give those who have it a huge advantage, and make the Disarm skill, unique to warriors, rather useless.
Why try to disarm and risk failure, reversal and the lag when you can just wait another round and let your Parry skill work on its own?

Most Zalanthan weapons are made of chitin, bone and stone - and if someone used them to completely stop a strong hit the way they'd use a shield, their weapon is likely to shatter.

Secondly, about half-giants (and muls) parrying and throwing the weapon away - half-giants are very tall, and as far as deflecting attacks go, I doubt they're ever able to use more than a small fraction of their strength; unless it's a half-giant against another half-giant, and their strength scores would probably be comparable enough where this wouldn't be useful either.
A mul could possibly do this, but there are still the game balance issues.

Finally, this could make sparring extremely deadly; one minute you're sparring, and the other you don't notice how you've just disarmed your opponent and by the next round they're dead.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Did he do something besides swinging his blade to disarm the other guy? That there be a skill called disarm.

I havn't seen any skills that branch off of how someone's stats are yet. And I hope that I don't ever in Arm.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Did he do something besides swinging his blade to disarm the other guy? That there be a skill called disarm.

I havn't seen any skills that branch off of how someone's stats are yet. And I hope that I don't ever in Arm.
Okay, Okay throw the skills out of the window......you have a point....

Quote from: "Larrath"Making the Parry skill capable of disarming would give those who have it a huge advantage, and make the Disarm skill, unique to warriors, rather useless.
Why try to disarm and risk failure, reversal and the lag when you can just wait another round and let your Parry skill work on its own?

Most Zalanthan weapons are made of chitin, bone and stone - and if someone used them to completely stop a strong hit the way they'd use a shield, their weapon is likely to shatter.

Secondly, about half-giants (and muls) parrying and throwing the weapon away - half-giants are very tall, and as far as deflecting attacks go, I doubt they're ever able to use more than a small fraction of their strength; unless it's a half-giant against another half-giant, and their strength scores would probably be comparable enough where this wouldn't be useful either.
A mul could possibly do this, but there are still the game balance issues.

Finally, this could make sparring extremely deadly; one minute you're sparring, and the other you don't notice how you've just disarmed your opponent and by the next round they're dead.

Exactly  :twisted:  Ok, how about making mudsexx a coded skill?  :lol:

As long as I get diseases for failing my mudsexx skill.

Weapon vs weapon clash would damage both weapons.  And while it might be good for some weapons, I don't see how a piercing knife can damage a large warhammer.  The weapon size, type, weight, material.....stuff.... Would all be added to it.  Too much coding it is.  Besides, the weapon breaking is already in the game (Although I would love to see it more often) so it is not a very feasible idea.

Quote from: "Ritley"
Exactly  :twisted:  Ok, how about making mudsexx a coded skill?  :lol:

Oh.. It would be a joy to watch a twink mudsexxxing.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"As long as I get diseases for failing my mudsexx skill.

I think you'd just miss in that situation..
he machinery of government is always subordinate to the will of those who administer that machinery. The most important element of government, therefore, is the method of choosing leaders.

Warriors are strong enough. If this is a 'make warriors stronger thread' you can all bugger off.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I don't like the idea of a weapon being hit and the wielder taking damage.  Parrying and getting a disarm from that would be problematic, especially if someone parries your greatsword attack using a wooden dagger.  I've always thought of most parries to be just holding your weapon in the path of your opponents.  Most other times, I don't assume you'd have enough time to think of pushing their weapon away.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Quote from: "Hexxaex"I don't like the idea of a weapon being hit and the wielder taking damage.  Parrying and getting a disarm from that would be problematic, especially if someone parries your greatsword attack using a wooden dagger.  I've always thought of most parries to be just holding your weapon in the path of your opponents.  Most other times, I don't assume you'd have enough time to think of pushing their weapon away.
No it's tapping it away with your weapon.

I think your main problem lies in the fact that it would take a mountain of coding. You'd have to have individual stats for every weapon to ensure that it was realistic. No matter how good you are with your little daggers, if you're fighting a guy with a warhammer, hitting his hammer isn't going to hurt him.
..and the puppet explodes.

I think the mechanic the idea is trying to emulate is the area where constantly blocking tires the blocker.  However, giving them damage is not appropriate.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"I think the mechanic the idea is trying to emulate is the area where constantly blocking tires the blocker.  However, giving them damage is not appropriate.

How about when you block a attack it knocks you off balance instead of the attacker.

And when you parry there's a higher chance the opponent is going to be knocked off balance. Thoughts?

I actually kind of like as long as it's half-giants only.

Ever watch that end scene in Return of the King where aragorn is fighting toe to toe with a troll, and parrying blows, and it looks all funny?  I see the same thing happening on arm all the time.

Me and my friends had talked about the same deal, only we thought that there should be a small chance of half-giant attacks doing a sort of 'bash'.  There's a -lot- of force coming out from behind those swings that are propelled by tree-trunk arms.  Even a skilled warrior should -really- have a hard time parrying that shit.

I see it -only- for half-giants.  And not the disarm bit, that -is- just taking it too far.  But the parry that still makes the defender take damage?  Sure.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I removed a long set of digressions and comments on posting style from this thread.  No account notes have been made.  Thanks.