Mutations...

Started by theebie, October 27, 2005, 04:55:44 PM

hi,

I remember to have read somewhere that mutations are really common.
so common to almost be normal ?

would people get fucked around with for having one ?

(i know that nobles can do whatever they want)

---theebie---

I think it would depend on the mutation.  If you've got horns sprouting from every square inch of your body, you might want to reconsider applying for that noble aid job...you probably won't get too many kind looks if your mutations are very crazy/debilitating.  At least, not in Allanak.  

If your mutation doesn't cause you to have to work harder to survive, give small children nightmares, and you aren't someone who is already socially looked down upon and/or scorned (half-elves etc) you shouldn't run into too many problems.

I would think that Tuluk has a more liberal approach to mutations because of their history with mutants.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Mutations are common, but whether or not they're actually normal varies greatly on the type of the location, on the crowd, and on the type of mutation.

An Allanaki noble is less likely to see more than, say, two seriously deformed mutants in the streets each IC week, and those would just be passersby.  A regular Allanaki commoner would probably see at least five each day, but again, we're talking passersby on crowded, bustling streets.
For Tuluk, I'd say there are probably about twice as many mutants, maybe even three times.

So a noble is more likely to react poorly to a mutant, and mutants are more unusual in Allanak.  Now, the actual sort of mutations - normal mutations are strange skin, eye and hair tones.  Grey or white or multicolored hair, yellow, red, black or mismatched eyes, grey, red or bluish skin.  Or they could just be missing fingers or toes or having extras, or webbed fingers, highly wrinkled skin or what-not.  Pointed ears are also extremely common, but not among players.
More severe mutations, like horns, claws, tails, additional nostrils, eyes or completely messed up faces (not to mention wings) are much rarer.

Mutants with antlers that would put carru to shame should be used to getting strange looks, while a mutant with a half-inch 'horn', or with a more subtle mutation, could probably expect regular treatment from most people.

So it really varies, though as a rule mutants in Tuluk should (and in my experience, get) better treatment than in Allanak.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?