Time out

Started by Forest Junkie, October 21, 2005, 01:58:02 PM

>time out
>Peering into the next room...
It is dawn on Nekrete

Basically, it works like "weather out". This could be useful in situations where you are in a small cave or crack in a wall and want to take a quick look out to see if it's dawn yet.

Thoughts?

The time command works regardless of where are you, doesn't it?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"The time command works regardless of where are you, doesn't it?

No.

Heh, yeah.. kinda silly when you are just inside a cave and it says you are deep underground and have lost all sense of time.  

And another thing that really bugs me is the fact that if it is dark inside a cave you can't look outside, or look west out the cave or whatever.  If it is light outside and dark inside, it would make sense that you could see out alot easier than anyone could see in.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Basically, it works like "weather out". This could be useful in situations where you are in a small cave or crack in a wall and want to take a quick look out to see if it's dawn yet.

Thoughts?

I think if it's a room where you -should- be able to tell the time (because of an opening to the outdoors, a window, a crack, etc.), then sending a bug report would be the way to go.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

The information provided with the weather command lets you know whether it's day or night.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

I'm not really in favor of this, because of what picklehead said.  You shouldn't be able to get an accurate guess of the time of day if you're inside a cave, and the only way that you should be able to tell the time is stepping outside and taking a look at where the sun is.

Then again, it all depends on where you are.  If you're inside a building, you might be able to tell better than in a cave where there's just enough room to leave or enter.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

you can already tell if your in most any building, what he is talknig about is if your one room into the cave, that way you don't actually have to walk out of the cave. As a side note this would be nice but it is a really minor issue. maybe something fun to do if an imm has some spare time or something
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Depends on the cave really. There are some, with room descriptions pretty clear about how big the entrance is. Like - big enough to ride a kank into. If the entrance is that big, then it makes sense that you should be able to see out with no problem at all.

I idea'd (or maybe typoed) a couple of caves like that, around a year ago. As of the last time I had the opportunity to visit those caves (back in July or August) nothing had changed. But yeah - either the ability to type "weather out" should be flagged on the room, or the room descriptions need to be change to reflect the inability to get that close to the entrance.

Knowing the time isn't hard since the new time code came in.  Hours change every ten minutes on the tens, so if you know what time it was when you went underground you can easily figure out what time it is now.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'm not sure if you already can, but being able to like "time n/s/e/w", in addition to "out" seems good to me as well. (As long as the "out" or direction didn't lead to another place you couldn't normally check.)
Amor Fati

It's not clear to me why time n/s/e/w/out/up/down/etc. would be necessary.   (Well maybe if you're on the edge of a rip in the fabric of space-time, and you want to figure out what time it is on the other side.   But otherwise...)

If you should be able to tell what time it is, shouldn't 'time' just work?   Regardless of whether you're telling time by looking out a hole, through a window, at the shadows, etc. etc.  You're still telling time right there.   Where you are.

In short, if you're in a room where someway somehow you should be able to figure out what time it is, then 'time' should just work.  If not, then not.  No new commands or functionality needed.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

There already exists a workaround to this:

(if the exit to the cave is north)
>weather n
Peering into the next room...
It is a warm morning/day/night.
The sky is clear.
A warm wind blows from the west.

So if you're checking outside periodically, you should be able to notice when night changes to morning. Voila, no extra code needed!

Quote from: "HaiWolfe"There already exists a workaround to this:

(if the exit to the cave is north)
>weather n
Peering into the next room...
It is a warm morning/day/night.
The sky is clear.
A warm wind blows from the west.

So if you're checking outside periodically, you should be able to notice when night changes to morning. Voila, no extra code needed!

Good catch.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870