whos idea was this!!!

Started by adrien, October 16, 2005, 06:06:54 PM

who came up with the idea of no one knowing how to read and wright?
and die when you can read nad wright

by that i mean which Imm  suggested that?

and which IC power made that too?
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

This is a joke, right?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

*facepalm*

Does it really matter?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

If you are asking for the sake of curiosity, I can tell you that ICly, you should read the help documents on it--they're very much accessible, and you should always take the time to look at them.

If you are asking because you don't like this, I don't see how it really can "kill" your roleplay.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Quote from: "adrien"who came up with the idea of no one knowing how to read and wright?

It has been in the game for an extremely long time.  Who did it?  I have no idea.

As to who, well, the IC power that dictates this is the God-King of each respective city state.  This is in turn enforced by the templerate of each city state.  They why if it is much simpler.  Reading and writing is extremely powerful.  Having absolute control over this makes propaganda and general control over the populace much easier.

Basically, nearly everybody on Zalanthas is either:

1. Too stupid
2. Too busy
3. Too elven

To learn to read and write. Also you get killed if you learn, and also there is nothing TO read, so it's not like it would really help you that much unless you had books, in which case you would already probably be able to read if you were able to obtain something like that.

OOC it's because that's the way the game was made.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Quote from: "adrien"who came up with the idea of no one knowing how to read and wright?

IC, the sorcerer-kings and their templars "made that too".  As for which Imm, it's been so long we don't know.  I think it's some jerk we killed and then ground up his (or her) bones into a fine powder, sprinkled it on the server that runs the game, and danced around in joy for having liberated "the people from their oppression".
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I think some guy in Wizards of the Coast is responsible while they are working on Dark Sun.

Quote from: "Halaster"As for which Imm, it's been so long we don't know. I think it's some jerk we killed and then ground up his (or her) bones into a fine powder, sprinkled it on the server that runs the game, and danced around in joy for having liberated "the people from their oppression".

So, this explans what happens to IMMs who take retirement.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

So what about people who don't look to one of the kings?

Quote from: "Rindan"

It has been in the game for an extremely long time.  Who did it?  I have no idea.

As to who, well, the IC power that dictates this is the God-King of each respective city state.  This is in turn enforced by the templerate of each city state.  They why if it is much simpler.  Reading and writing is extremely powerful.  Having absolute control over this makes propaganda and general control over the populace much easier.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Quote from: "Halaster"As for which Imm, it's been so long we don't know. I think it's some jerk we killed and then ground up his (or her) bones into a fine powder, sprinkled it on the server that runs the game, and danced around in joy for having liberated "the people from their oppression".

Is not Halaster cute now? :D
some of my posts are serious stuff

ilikeread
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Literacy was far more common in the Dark Sun campaign setting or the Dune setting than it is in Armageddon.

The idea of no one knowing how to "read nad wright" in RL, you mean?

Here's a cool thing that you desperately need.  :shock:  Unless your post was intended in irony, in which case, it was wonderful and I thank you.

-- X

Xygax is my favorite.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

lol that was a good one

lolz n00berz

Quote from: "Tarx"lolz n00berz

well spoken Mr 2005  :P   :P:P:P  

8)

I wasn't talking about you, it was meant more as a comic relief thing...

And I've played since 2003, I just didn't log in on the forums for a long time. :)

I didn't take offence just joking around

I love no reading, no writing concept. It stresses the boundaries between rich and poor and price of education.

The reason why should be pretty simple for common folk to understand I think, though no doubt it's also a sign of oppression, Seems all total like a no-brainer to me.

Firstly, there is no printed text readily available to the public. You may not think this a big deal.. but back in the day when monks were writing things, most people didn't read and mostly because they couldn't afford to read. Getting a hand printed copy of a book like the bible was insanely expensive and only scholarly type and the very wealthy could afford it.

In fact, so much so was reading and writing admired as a sign of intelligence and wealth, many of those fabulously rich and scholarly folks, when posing for a portrait would do so with a book in hand or someone in the painting. Education was a sign of great wealth and importance.

It wasn't until the printing press was invented that people became literate on a common level which also inpart, contributed to the Renaissance and brought civilized humanity out of the dark ages..

Considering the poverty level of Zalanthas and the class system that it has. The reading and writing concepts that the game follows seem on target. Revel in your lowlyness.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Someone asked about those people who do not look to their God-King. Those people are killed long before they have time to devote to the illicit studies.

Or, if they are outside the cities, such as tribals, they're culture isn't advanced in that particular area. They're more at the level of simple pictographs without the standardization.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Killed or converted. Both work. I prefer the latter, the more PCs we get actually roleplaying devoutness the better.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."