Weight Code

Started by Sholdyn, October 10, 2005, 11:11:26 PM

I've seen these healthy height/weight charts. Look, I weigh 118 and I'm 5'7". That's below proper weight in the charts, but I'm not doing anything special - this is my natural build. I'd weigh 6 ten stone on Zalanthas.
I think the range should definately be lifted and lowered by one stone either way for humans, who show the most variety of all the races.

It makes very little sense to me that a starving 15 year old girl of 5 feet should weight the same as me.

I hear the gravitational theory, but if that's the case it should be mentioned in the docs. Still, is that something we really want to add to the world? How difficult would it be to make a slight adjustment like this to the code?

I'm in favor, assuming it wouldn't be that difficult a process.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Speaking of conversions:

5 tenstone = 110.23 lbs
6 tenstone = 132.28 lbs
7 tenstone = 154.32 lbs
8 tenstone = 176.37 lbs
9 tenstone = 198.42 lbs

I think 5 tenstone should be added, since a 5'7" earthling female should weigh around 120 lbs to be considered healthy (or so I'm told). So pretty much anyone with "petite" or "diminutive" in there sdesc should fit close enough into the 5 tenstone category, but 6 is really pushing it.

EDITED to add: 5'7" a coincidence. My girlfriend is 5'7". *shrug*
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Quote from: "sarahjc"
If we want realisim we'd all play rot-toothed, rasin-skinned stick figures. And that wouldn't be too much fun I don't think.

^can you have this removed for includeing the sdesc of half my chars?^  :roll:  Just kidding but that seriously does describe a vast majority of PCs i've made. And they were quite fun, so speak for yourself. Its a "fantasy"

Perhaps we should look at certain help files.

Quote from: "Help Measurement"...
Distance:

Short distances are measured in inches (which bear a strong resemblance to the English inch in real life). An inch was considered to be the length of the Emperor's thumb, but was long since normalised to mean a single unit of distance.

Longer distances use units called cords, which are 15 inches long. Such units as miles and leagues are also commonly used, descended from the Bendune conventions of the nomadic tribesmen, a mile being 5,333 cords, and a league equalling three miles.

Mass:

All masses are measured in stones. Stones are relatively equivalent to a kilogram in real life. Larger masses, in order to avoid using too many counting markers, have become called in five-stone, ten-stone, and hundred- stone. People are typically measured in ten-stone while objects are usually measured in stone.

And...

Help Size

The 'size' of a creature is an arbitrary measure of its general height and weight specifications. It has application in the fitting of armour and clothing, and in other instances where mass is important. The following diagram illustrates the size relationship between the various races.

Dwarves   ___Elves___
                Halflings    |   |   |           |  Mantises
                 |   |       |   |   |           |  |
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17
                                 |Humans||___|    
                                 |  &   | Gith    
                                 | Muls |        
                                 +------+      

18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34
                                     |______________________|
                                           Half-Giants

How about looking at each race:

Dwarves:

"Physically, dwarves stand between 52 and 58 inches in height and are nearly as thick across the shoulders as they are tall."

Elves:

"Elves stand between around 75 and 96 inches in height and tend to have slim, light frames."

Gith:

"Average height is approximately eighty-four inches, with weight similar to that of elves."

Half-Elves:

"Tall, between 72 and 78 inches in height, and possessed of deeply etched features, half-elves resemble their elven parents. On the other hand, half-elves are bulkier and somewhat more durable than elves, and so resemble their human parents."

Half-Giants:

"Half-giants stand between 120 and 150 inches tall."

Halflings:

"Standing between 42 and 50 inches in height, halflings are indeed the smallest of the humanoids."

Mul:

"Physically, muls bear most of the bulk of their dwarven parent, being extremely strong and rugged. ...  Muls are slightly shorter than humans."

Humans:

"Most humans stand between 68 and 78 inches in height..."

Anyways.  I think it would be more interesting if the weight code for applications was looked at again.  Perhaps an introduction of 'half-stone' markers for weights of characters, to give a .5 difference?  I think that a difference of .1 would be too much to worrry about.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"

However, I was responding to a statement that said the range should be 4-12.  I garuntee you that you will not find a height/weight chart that states a five foot tall man (or woman) ought to weigh 88 pounds.

Somehow I am not seeing 'rinthers conforming to Earth medical guidelines for healthy BMIs.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
And I think the weight has been the way it is for ages, no real scrutinization or review was ever done for it. Half-giants weigh 90 ten-stone and at 12 feet tall that seems pretty reasonable, for a human that is the max height only being able to be 190 pounds is hard to stomach. That's big but all your 'massive' 'immense' 'muscular' characters really aren't like that at all. As far as muscle mass goes. They may be all muscle, but they won't be massive or muscular. 6'4 and 190 is wiry and ripped.

On the other hand, 'massive', 'immense', etc. are relative terms.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Familiar with Peacocks?
They look pretty big, but they aren't heavy.

Mutants, sheesh.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Familiar with Peacocks?
They look pretty big, but they aren't heavy.

Mutants, sheesh.

What are you doing touching and picking up Peacocks?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It was feathered?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "LauraMars"I agree we should extend it just a weensey bit?  I don't know, I don't think I'm playing a character who is that unusual, but her weight and height don't make a lot of sense right now, that is, they don't match.  She's supposed to be pinched and starved-looking!  Poverty!

Also, I am morbidly obese. When I play a character who is just like me I like to be able to choose 15-ten-stone.

<3
Laura, I do like your attempts of trying to stop me from liking you.  Your morbidly obese? nice try.  :)  Remember I have seen your pic, and judging, by your face you look healthy, and on the fit side of average to me.