I have a good idea.......

Started by Idea man, October 05, 2005, 05:02:50 PM

At least I think it is good. I think you should be able to exercise in armageddon. It makes sense, but your stamina will drop rapidly and you will be hungry and thirsty more often. This way players could make their weak characters stronger or faster.

You already are able to exercise in Armageddon.  It isn't supported by the code, however.

If you want to see an increased hunger and thirst rate as well as a decrease in stamina, then I would say great idea.

But if you want to see coded strength/agility/endurance increases, then I would say this is a bad idea.
Back from a long retirement

I say put it in - with stat increases and all.

But, to be evil, put in the negative side effects as well!  All the extra eating causes you to age faster!  Negligible for most characters, sure, so let's get some nastier ones.  Damn!  Pulled a hamstring.  -50% runspeed for a month in-game!  Don't rest it?  2 more months with a chance for permanent stamina/speed/strength loss!

The bonus about exercise would be that, like in the real world, minimal exercise wouldn't do much.  It might get you to the bottom of average if you happened to be at the top of below average, but it certainly wouldn't get you anywhere in above average.  If you wanted significant stat gains, you'd have to push yourself near the limit, and the limit is where injuries come in.

In the real world, if you hurt yourself at the gym, you're fine.  You go to your day job, and rest for a month, potentially with minor physical therapy overseen by a doctor.  In-game?  You just fracked your day job.

Sounds good to me, but with some warped, painful side effects that would hose players more than help them $.

Quote from: "Linedel"All the extra eating causes you to age faster!

Since when does eating food cause you to age faster?  Wtf...
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Since forever.  I don't think I've explicitly read that additional calories make you age faster, but it's well documented that restricting your calorie intake makes you age slower.  Or were you asking about Armageddon.. Armageddon probably doesn't do that in the code; I was babbling hypothetical (easily codeable!) minimal side effects of exercise before getting to the nasty hypothetical one.

I still want to see someone hamstringed (literally!) by abusing an /exercise command!

I mean, a rotator cuff strain from too much sparring would be owny.  Can't lift your arm!

Ok, but wouldn't you...you know...DIE without calories?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Every day I eat, and every day I get a little older. Why do I do this to myself?
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

That's it! I'm done eating. Wrinkles be gone!

I'm pretty sure seeing how everyone except the rich are scraping for food on Zalanthas, eating a lot would be good for you.

Exercise doesn't need to be coded, if you want your PC to work out and make themselves Harder, better, faster, stronger log your work outs and mail them to the mud.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I don't think the average Zalanthan would want to exercize in the first place.

You ever seen the chinese guys that are all like 200 years old and stuff. They eat like rice and drink water. Therefore they age slower.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

lol nobody's 200 yrs old...  :shock:
QuoteThe oldest fully authenticated age to which any human has ever lived is 122 years and 164 days, by Jeanne-Louise Calment.
Maybe some people have lived longer, but not 78 years longer...

Coding things like exercise turns a wonderful, immersive game like Armageddon into a CHORE. Players would be cramming in time to exercise because they are afraid they are going to fall behind in their conditioning and be inferior to all those twinks out there who spam eat their clan's food and exercise for hours on end.

People would be more concerned with keeping their stats up rather than what they are supposed to be doing here... roleplaying.

Also, I'd like to see a link confirming your "less calories, less aging" theory.
..and the puppet explodes.

I can't imagine why any character on the face of Zalanthas would need to exercise. Those that need to be buff are generally buff from their jobs; they don't want to go and excercise in their time off. I used to work at a feed mill and I got strong enough to throw a horse through a brick wall, but damned if I'd ever go home and do pushups. That's how I think it would be in Zalanthas. Of course if you have a special circumstance where you have a ninja or something who is training, you can probably just send in logs and all to the staff to show them what you're doing and see if you can get something out of it.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Yea, and I'd rather RP, rather than spend 100% of the time I have free to play, trying to keep up with the guy that is on for 5 hours a day. It is hard enough already.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I can't imagine why any character on the face of Zalanthas would need to exercise. Those that need to be buff are generally buff from their jobs; they don't want to go and excercise in their time off. I used to work at a feed mill and I got strong enough to throw a horse through a brick wall, but damned if I'd ever go home and do pushups. That's how I think it would be in Zalanthas. Of course if you have a special circumstance where you have a ninja or something who is training, you can probably just send in logs and all to the staff to show them what you're doing and see if you can get something out of it.

It would be pretty trivial (albeit tedious) to tie "exercise" hooks into most "physical" commands (e.g., "north", or "use axe", or "emote swings his cast iron sparring sword like a manly man of a governator." (ok, not so much the last one)).  This is very doable.  But these are less fun than the potential character-destroying power of an exercise command - because you can put a higher chance of debilitating injury on a command primarily being used by people attempting to powergame, whereas you really wouldn't want to make that too common on things people "have to" do frequently for a viable character.

For the lazy, a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloric_restriction

(In case the sarcasm wasn't blatantly obvious the first times I posted;  no, I'm not serious about these suggestions; I don't think anyone but the first poster was...  It's a complete waste of developer time.  But damn.. the PC injury potential.  That make the Halaster-like parts of my brain happy.)

I don't want to exercise IG :p

There are a few exercise logs on the webpage and I think they look good, let's keep it to rp.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

There's coded exercise.  Just go hunting without a weapon, or armor.

You get to work those arm muscles attempting to punch to death dangerous creatures with armored exoskeletons.

You get to run for your life when you realize you'd have more luck teaching yourself to fly.

Two excellent ways to work out, Zalanthan style.
o longer playing and password scrambled so IMs won't reach me.  Sorry.