Account Consent Flag

Started by Anonymous, September 18, 2005, 11:16:28 PM

I don't understand how any of this makes things easier than they are.

Larrath's idea isn't bad, but I still don't see a huge advantage to merit it.

Templar says, OOCly: Faded or graphic torture?

Templar says, OOCly: Faded or graphic adult scene?

Templar says, OOCly: Faded or graphic naked sommersaults?

Templar says, OOCly: Consent to rape, and if so, faded or graphic.

Amos the rinthi says, OOCly: Graphic.

Sneaky the stalker says, OOCly: Faded, please, sorry.

Templar scans.

Amos scans.

Sneaky the stalker says, OOCly: WTF i'm mailing the mud you twinks.

Yea, that's about the only situation I can imagine larraths' idea would give a great advantage over how things are now. That's not enough of an advantage, in my opinion, over current options.

As for flags, flags are annoying to keep up with, and the time they save working things out before a scene won't really make up for their hassle. So, i don't think flags are very useful unless you're getting into fade/no fade situations daily.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Yea, that's about the only situation I can imagine Larraths' idea would give a great advantage over how things are now. That's not enough of an advantage, in my opinion, over current options.

That's a big advantage.  First of all, nobody ends up being that spoilsport that fades on a scene five other players consent to.  Second, yes, it's very good for hiders.  Also, it's less OOC communication, and that's always a good thing really.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I like it.

Put the questions right after your Background submission.

I don't think putting it in the initial character submission is a good idea, because it would terrify new players.  And not in that good Zalanthan way.  For new players who aren't entirely familiar with the IC/OOC distinction for their characters, this could be really disturbing.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Very Good point.

Like a good prompt then?

Everything is automagickally set to "Ask."

You get IG and type "Consent" and press enter.

Do you consent to Torture?
Yes (enter)
Do you consent to Rape?
Ask for each scene. (enter)
Do you consent to adult scenes?
Yes (enter)

Have a very Zalanthas day.

(then the prompt is over)
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"I think the idea of a flag which people may feel bound to, which they might forget to change at every moment based on the situation round them, and which other people could -yick- check, would be pretty cumbersome and counterproductive.  It would have to be overriden by OOC anyway, since people have to be able to withdraw consent if the scene goes further then they originally imagined.

I don't think people forgetting about their flag settings would be an overly terrible situation - as you said, people could override with OOC if they'd forgotten or changed their mind or what have you anyway.

Anyway, I like the flag idea very much - maybe attach it the reporting info to assess -v or make a new one like assess -c or something, it'd be very easy.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I don't like this idea. I have zero problem with asking or being asked for consent. It takes three seconds and has never seriously jarred me from a scene.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Cale_knight

You don't like it, as in, dislike, or basicly nul?

Your statement sounds more like you don't care simply because asking ooc does not bother you, but this is no kind of arguement against the idea.

Now, myself, 5+ years ago, I'd have said the same thing, but, the longer I play, the more OOC bothers me, and I tend to feel that many other players are the same way...Hell, when I started...Oh so VERY long ago on arm, it was not uncommon to see imms poof-in and poof-out, and OOC conversations would be held in fountain square in tuluk...alot, later, even in flints.
Now, I've gone for more then 20days of play without ever going OOC...and I like it that way.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I use OOC atleast 3 times a day. Gotta have mudsex. Even if it fades to black all the time.

I don't have a problem with it either way right now.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I guess some part of me doesn't like the idea of ooc information about me as a player just hanging out there all the time for everyone to see.

It doesn't bother me all that much, and I'd just set everything to "please ask."

But I also know I'd be constantly forgetting to check other peoples' toggles. Or I'd think to myself "Slave Dingybottom has had torture set to 'ok' for the last month," and just not ask, possibly causing problems.

Since the toggles wouldn't be static, I think they might cause issues where none exist right now.

I'm not necessarily against the new idea, I'm just for the current system as it stands.

I'm for this idea, if only that it lets you initiate a scene without having to ask for consent.  But at any time I feel its someone's right to say "We fade to black now."  In cases of mudsex, torture and especially rape you never know if the person on the other end is in private at the moment or at a public terminal, or whether they just don't want to have to go through RPing that at that time.

Consent flags = good.  Help avoid breaking IC to start a torture/whatever scene.

Consent flags being the final judge of whether a scene can go on = bad.  Regardless of whether someone has consent_torture on or not shouldn't mean that they can't say "I don't want to roleplay through this, fade to black."

I'm not entirly sure this is such a good idea.  I think in some cases asking consent and having to is a good thing.  Even if you are willing to play out various scenes, I know the arguement is it will interrupt rp, but maybe that's good for stuff like graphic torture.

Quote from: "UnderSeven"I'm not entirly sure this is such a good idea.  I think in some cases asking consent and having to is a good thing.  Even if you are willing to play out various scenes, I know the arguement is it will interrupt rp, but maybe that's good for stuff like graphic torture.

Nothing says someone can't use the OOC if things are just getting too creepy for them.  However if something like this helps avoid most OOC communication in the middle of a tense scene I can't see how it isn't a good idea.

Quote from: "X-D"Now, myself, 5+ years ago, I'd have said the same thing, but, the longer I play, the more OOC bothers me, and I tend to feel that many other players are the same way...Hell, when I started...Oh so VERY long ago on arm, it was not uncommon to see imms poof-in and poof-out, and OOC conversations would be held in fountain square in tuluk...alot, later, even in flints.
Now, I've gone for more then 20days of play without ever going OOC...and I like it that way.

It should also be pointed out that even if a player's consent_sex and consent_torture flags are set to "never," players will still have to go OOC to say "Alright, this is going to be a torture scene, but we'll ftb because you have the flag toggled. Do you break?" And so on and so on.

So really, this wouldn't cut down on ooc conversations except in the few cases where rape is an absolute "never under no circumstances not even ftb."

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
It should also be pointed out that even if a player's consent_sex and consent_torture flags are set to "never," players will still have to go OOC to say "Alright, this is going to be a torture scene, but we'll ftb because you have the flag toggled. Do you break?" And so on and so on.

So really, this wouldn't cut down on ooc conversations except in the few cases where rape is an absolute "never under no circumstances not even ftb."

That is a good point.  Perhaps a better way would be to make it so that there are only two toggles, either automatic consent is on or it isn't.  If it isn't on, you ask and you can either fade to black or play it out.  If on the other hand you have it turned to on, play will just precede until someone OOCs for it to stop.  Basically, the only use would be for people who are confident that they will consent to anything can simply flip it on like nosave.  If a templar decides he is going to do something nasty to you, he types check consent and it comes back with either a yes or a no.  If everyone in the room is toggle to consent, then he doesn't have to slow down to ask.  If anyone is not toggled on, he has to OOC ask how people want to handle it.

Personally, if a templar captures me and I have a feeling I am going to have some pain in store for me, I would probably just toggle my consent on so that when the torture comes we don't even need to bother going through the motions of OOCing.  If I could avoid having to hear;

"OOC Hi!  My character wants to torture you ; )  is that okay, or do you want to fade?"

I would.  It certainly isn't a big deal, but it would be a fun little feature that I would probably make use of to avoid a little extra OOC in tense situations.

I think I've finally figured out what I don't like about this idea.

Basically my problem is this:

If such a flag exists, there must be a way for players to check it or there is no point in having it.  The people who are interested in such scenes are likely to only get involved in making them happen to people they know the scene can be done with.  Therefore I would fear that people might start looking for flags that meet their desires and a lot of 'exclusive' rp amongst groups who are interested or willing to do different things (such as rape rp).

Personally I am not in favor of this change.

What if you normally have your consent flags set to yes.  Then, while you're at school, or at the library, you decide to log on for a while, and forget to change your consent flags, while a teacher or librarian is standing right near you.  Bad.  Things are fine the way they are.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Quote from: "UnderSeven"I think I've finally figured out what I don't like about this idea.

Basically my problem is this:

If such a flag exists, there must be a way for players to check it or there is no point in having it.  The people who are interested in such scenes are likely to only get involved in making them happen to people they know the scene can be done with.  Therefore I would fear that people might start looking for flags that meet their desires and a lot of 'exclusive' rp amongst groups who are interested or willing to do different things (such as rape rp).

Personally I am not in favor of this change.

There is my stance. Why RP with Lord Borsail? He doesn't have his mudsex flag turned on, or torture. No fun there.
Joe schmoe doesn't have his flags on, but I want to kill him, so I'll just spam kill him. Don't want it to look like I am torturing.

Quick question.
Is molestation of Pcs included in rape? Or what?
I love to grab me some virtual ass.

UnderSeven, that's what I tried to say in not so many words, but I think I got ignored :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I think the staff is going to notice someone who goes around spamming the consent command in the middle of scenes that don't call for it.

Regardless this possible minor abuse is not a good reason to ignore X-D's idea in my mind.  If people are going to get into a clique they are going to get into a clique, one way or the other.  And it will probably be done using GDB PMs or AIM IM's which are a lot more suitable for such a thing.

I think consent should only be checkable for the entire room, and not individual players.  Peer pressure about consent can really suck - a lot of people get pissed and it hurts the mood.  Instead, it's better if there's just a prompt to the room whenever someone checks consent.

> consent torture
Asking for consent for torture.
(For room) Consent: Yes.

If someone doesn't want to, they can still OOC.

Consent isn't something people should be singled-out on, and it's hard to decline consent in a room where four other players already said yes.  People shouldn't have to choose between being the spoilsport or having to stand content they don't want to.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Agreed.

Quote from: "Larrath"Consent isn't something people should be singled-out on, and it's hard to decline consent in a room where four other players already said yes.  People shouldn't have to choose between being the spoilsport or having to stand content they don't want to.

Having a command that let's people check for flags removes the peer pressure from the equation since you've already set your limits and you aren't being asked again.

There is less peer pressure with X-D's idea.  Because the scenario goes like this:

Rapist PC corners a target PC.
Rapist PC types 'consent target'
Rapist PC sees 'Rape: No.'
Rapist PC emotes beating the target in the head and moves on.

Where's the peer pressure?  The use of the command to check for consent presumably wouldn't echo to anyone but the one using it so a PC whose player wants to avoid rape and/or graphic emotes and had their account flags set accordingly would never know that their counterpart wanted to get down and dirty.

pah peer pressure. it's a fucking game, and you don't know these people.

feeling peer pressure is ludicrous.

personally, i prefer to make the decision on the fly, dependent upon my current situation. let it be.